Is PRS actually worth it? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 05:11 PM

I personally love aspects of the game such as nice bindings, bird inlays and over the -flame/quilt-tops, but that may have to do with my students budget

I plan on buying either a whale blue PRS custom-birds or/and a Jem7V WH once I am graduated, that's a fairly nice spending of my first major salary isn't it

I would only buy a PRS if it had all three above mentioned aspects, otherwise it isn't worth the dough. And knowing *NOW* that they're not even handmade I would consider a Jackson soloist USA or Gibson LP custom earlier. The exchange would consist of my next rip to the ground shred-axe, as for my RG earlier and S520 EX nowadays...

Because they aren't really handmade I don't think they're worth THAT much, but to have one might just weigh up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:11 AM

I'm a fan of both Ibanez and PRS....so a couple things about PRS. Since 99% of guitars today aren't handmade, it might help to know that PRS has one of the youngest major production facilities around. Anyway, it's apparently sporting some pretty expensive/cutting-edge guitar making equipment. I also think their finish's are second to none, but that's my opinion.

I also have to say that they are very consistent guitars at least much more consistent than Gibson's (I've just had bad experiences with Gibson's not trying to say there aren't any nice one's out there..but after the two I've owned a PRS is a 'no-brainer' anytime.)

Anyway, definately play a PRS and VWH when you are ready. The biggest difference you'll probably notice is the fingerboard. The PRS seems to have a little more room for my fingertips.

Good luck.

JC
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:48 AM

I have a PRS Singlecut and i think this sucker is worth every penny. It's pretty much a LP killer imo. (yes i own a LP Standard)
The tone is smoother and cuts through a lot better. The build quality of the PRS is amazing. It just feels VERY solid. As for getting lemons, i've play a couple Jems that played like a block of wood. I remember 1 out of 3 felt really good. Quality control is NEVER perfect in my experience.

Here's the deal i got on the SC hehe:
Bought a Peavey XXX.
Hated the XXX and traded it + $400 for a PRS Custom 22 with a ding on the front. Traded the C22 for the mint SC. It turned out that i paid $1200 for a brand new Singlecut (shipping included)
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:04 AM

I consider those shiny earthtoned guitars to be boutique crap for old geezers who are dumb enough to pay for them. This goes for PRS but also for most Gibsons, some EBMMs and especially Fenders. Who needs the 50s feel and crappy playability anyway? Even custom BCRich guitars with grade X tops look like geezer crap...must be the reason that Ed Roman likes them...No, I'll rather have my schoolboyish Ibanez axes . My SG is called Supergran Not without reason Just MnsHO.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:10 PM

I very much agree with JMack, if an instrument gives you the sound you want for a lifeime, go for it. It's worth 3 grand and more.

I could never be a classical violinist. Not because I've never played a violin but the requirement of purchasing a instrument worth as much as a house is just insane to me. PRS and vintage Gibs simply look like toys compared to that.

For me PRS doesn't cut it. I'm a metal head, so Jackson and Ibanez serve me fine I like my guitars mean and tortured.

Tags
custom shop , custom shop guitar , flamed maple , jackson custom shop , jackson soloist , les paul , les paul standard , les pauls , neck binding , neck joint , neck shape , production model , prs guitar , prs guitars , prs mccarty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode