Is PRS actually worth it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Is PRS actually worth it?

I was wondering this... Is it just exspensive looks or do these 3k beauties have better tone than others... ie. and Jem or JS1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 08:58 AM

This topic may be better served in the "Other Guitars" forum... regardless,
I had a PRS for 3 years or so and did not find it to be anything particularly special. While the looks were stunning and the fit & finish were good, the neck was so-so and the tone was pretty bland. It gives a decent, thick sound and they're well built, but I didn't find them to be extraordinary.

-Ben
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 12:03 PM

Reviews: 2
no, they are not worth all that money, i would say, take that money at go to jackson or esp and get a custom shop guitar, and depending on how you make it, it can cost a grand less and youll have your own signature axe that is as high quality as any of the rarest guitars and best guitars in the world, but if it was me, id just get a guitar under a grand and be satisfied with that.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 12:35 PM

They are treading the line between custom one-offs, and manufactured mainstream, and do neither very well. I really don't see why people bother. They look good, but so do OLP's! A JEM is clearly better all-round.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:46 PM

Im not an expert, but a friend who loves PRSalways tells me that older ones (95 or older) are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than todays. Says the quality is lightyears away from now. I believe him, hes my luthier...
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Could be true.. this is way off topic but i know some of the older engines in cars are stronger than some of the newer engines today... But thats a weird comparison. lol.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 03:55 AM

I used to be a big PRS fanatic, I've played a LOT of the, but strangely never owned one.. In my experience, the ones pre 95 or 96 have been a lot better. The newer ones just seem to feel.. sterile. I can't put a finger on it exactly.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:32 AM

NO
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastofLove
This topic may be better served in the "Other Guitars" forum... regardless,

-Ben
And as if by magic ...
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkoman
Im not an expert, but a friend who loves PRSalways tells me that older ones (95 or older) are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than todays. Says the quality is lightyears away from now. I believe him, hes my luthier...
I had heard that too, about the older ones being better. That's what my tech says too.

Nowadays, I think I'll just get a Warmoth clone. You can get pretty close in looks.

I'm prefering 25.5" scale anyway.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:21 PM

I've had a couple of older PRS', as well as several newer ones. The older ones definitely have a more hand-made feel to them. They seem to sing just a bit sweeter. However, my favorite so far has been the '98 Custom 22 Artist that I had. Still kinda miss it sometimes.

PRS guitars are like most guitars: some have that certain special "something" that makes them appeal to an individual, and some don't. It all boils down to personal taste. A PRS is worth what you pay IF you buy smartly. They're definitely a guitar that I would recommend buying used, just to avoid the considerable depreciation from what most dealers sell new ones for.

The '93 Custom 24 I had was incredible though...definitely had a way better vibe than any of the newer ones I've had.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
I've had a couple of older PRS', as well as several newer ones. The older ones definitely have a more hand-made feel to them. They seem to sing just a bit sweeter.
That's because back then, they probably were hand-made. Once their popularity took off, they started being made mostly by machines.

The one thing that PRS has going for it these days is a really strong name. PRS guitars are holding and even appreciating in value on the resale market. Good for collectors, not so good for players who want to pick one up. However, the same thing was happening with Les Pauls in the '70s and Strats in the '80s. Fenders and Gibsons have mostly leveled off in value these days, as i'm sure PRS will once the frenzy dies down.

That said, you can probably get as good or even better guitars from any number of smaller, boutique builders (McInturff, Warrior, etc.), but they won't necessarily hold their market value as well as a PRS because of their lesser-known name.

The true answer is that PRSes are worth what people will pay for them... judging by the prices on the market these days, the answer (from an economic standpoint) is, "Yes."

Are PRSes good value for the player? That's an entirely different question.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:54 PM

I own a PRS and to me it is worth it.

If a carved bookmatched maple 10 top on a solid mahogany back, body binding, neck binding, mother of pearl inlays, unbeleivable pups and beautiful fret work are not important to you dont buy one.

Seriously, I get the expensive guitar grief all the time. Goes for the PRS and it goes for the Gibi Les Paul to.

Listen, you take 2-3 grand and break that down for say,,,,your lifetime. Is that really expensive for a guitar you love that will last your lifetime? When you look at classical masucians who pay upwards of ten grand for brass, 2-3 grand is a drop in the bucket.

You pay $16,000 for a car that will be dead in ten years leaving you with nothing. You spend say 2 grand on a nice Les or PRS and take care of it you have a lifetime of owning and enjoying this istrument. To me thats worth quite a bit.

You also keep in mind that PRS and Gibsons have an insane resale value. Many times you can sell a guitar for what you got it for, some occasions even more. This should also be figured into the price.

Who knew back in 1958 that people spending $300 on Les Paul Standards would be able to sell them for $25,000-$30,000 42 years later?

How important is a guitar that you love and whats it worth?

I pay $1500 in parking every year, hows that for a sad reality.

Jason
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMack
I pay $1500 in parking every year, hows that for a sad reality.

I play $1236 for mass transit every year, and that doesn't include money for gas to drive to the train station.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:37 PM

having Ibanez, Gibson, Fender & PRS guitars, i'd say these are good on their own turfs. as far as the worth of your $$$ in purchasing these brand names, its returns only matters if you value your purchase or if the guitar gives you what you wanna hear.

having acquired the PRS McCarty recently in my arsenal, i believe i had made a quality acquisition. being an ibanez inclined player, it was initially a psycho barrier having to fork out loads of $$$ for the PRS- imagine how many ibanezs i could have bought with that kinda money. i was looking for a set neck guitar that has superb playability & tone, it manifested in the PRS. there is no guarantee that at this price, the tone that comes with it is unsrpassable- nope. if it is, i don't see why i still play my S540 & RG7...

Tags
custom shop , custom shop guitar , flamed maple , jackson custom shop , jackson soloist , les paul , les paul standard , les pauls , neck binding , neck joint , neck shape , production model , prs guitar , prs guitars , prs mccarty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode