PRS Craving - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

PRS Craving

Last Night i saw Opeth at the Forum in London, great show, man i love that band but hell they need a longer set... there songs are to long for there set time

anyway, after seeing the lovely PRS's that both guitarists sport... i want one! good thing i cant realistically afford one or i might buy one, ive never really looked at prs's before, i knew they were nice but *drool*

id love one in an emerald green burst with quilted top and a vine inlay... anyway dream on, mabye if get lucky in the lottery.

just thought id blab on for a bit there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Re: PRS Craving

Hey, my first post!
I'm an Opeth fan too, Mikael and Peter have some really great 'Smiths
Myself, I own a PRS Custom 22, snagged it for £800 with case. They are VERY versatile guitars, although i find they sound quite dark so obviously you aren't exactly going to get the best funk tone out of them. However for metal, rock, mellow jazz and pretty much everything else they are great. I find the neck quite comfortable for shredding, it's very smoothly finished and slick. Perhaps the only thing I don't like about mine is that it only has 22 frets(ah well it was a bargain!) and that it has a very large heel, which makes access to the higher frets less than smooth. Apparently on the old PRS guitars, there was a much smaller heel. Thought I would add my insights!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 PM

Ahhh it begins!!

Once it grabs a hold of you. It's very hard to shake. They are very addicting. And if you really can't afford one, don't play them at stores. It will make it worse. Then you will begin doing anything you can to get one. Sell your car. Your mom's jewelery. Im just kidding.

I read an interview with the guys from Opeth. And I remember one guy saying that PRS was THE "numetal" guitar, but they are just great guitars, so thats why they play them. You know. Because Carlos Santana really screams nu-metal. Just like Strats are THE "funk" guitar. I thought that was kind of a stupid remark. And one of the guys' looks like a complete tool, but thats a different story.

All I can say is. If you can't cough up the beans all at once. Find one you fall in love with at your nearest Guitar Center, and take advantage of their financing deals they have going all the time. Yes I do work there. And I hate that Im promoting GC. But I really would like to help someone find a way to own an instrument like that if they really want it.

Its usually 12 or 14, sometimes even 15 months no interest no payments. It is how I was able to get my PRS. You need to get the GC credit card, hopefully if you have good credit you can get a 2G limit like I did. And then you have plenty of time to pay it off. But make sure you do!! 'Cuz if you dont have it paid off by the end of the promo period, all the interest accues and hits you at once. BAM!!

Another option is check out some of the SE's! They are fantastic value and look/feel very similiar to USA PRS's. The new SE Customs are very nice. I want one with P-90s!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:24 AM

Be carefull... it can cause bad GAS symtoms!! I have a PRS dealer in the US who sorts me when I need a fix!! LOL!

If you ever need one just give me a buzz and I'll hook you up!.... Always cheaper than in the UK.... trust me... I know!!

Tim
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 04:12 PM

Just get the JS1200.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezNorthwest
Be carefull... it can cause bad GAS symtoms!! I have a PRS dealer in the US who sorts me when I need a fix!! LOL!

If you ever need one just give me a buzz and I'll hook you up!.... Always cheaper than in the UK.... trust me... I know!!

Tim
haha, dont tell me things like that... i'd probally end up buying one and living in my guitar case
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 11:32 PM

i'm fond of older prs guitars...i love the look/tone of them. but, i would not give 10 cents for anything made in the last 5 years or so.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeohollicA
Just get the JS1200.
With all due respect, besides completely different construction and electronics, I can assure you any model JS and any model PRS will feel and sound vastly different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gash
i'm fond of older prs guitars...i love the look/tone of them. but, i would not give 10 cents for anything made in the last 5 years or so.
You know, a very small amount of me agrees with those who find the older PRS's to be better guitars.

I don't think anyone can argue that back before PRS got as big as they are today, they produced far FAR less guitars monthly then they do now. And when you see or play older PRS's guitars, almost all of them are "magical gems".

PRS still makes "magical gems", but because of demand, the percentage rate has natually shifted lower. But even the guitars that are not "magical gems", are consistently excellent sounding and playing guitars. Thats why I believe that even the PRS's of today are worth the money....And of course I would! Cuz mines an '04!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:42 PM

you know how I fight off my PRS craving?
every time I pee I tell myself, isn't it nice to have both kidneys?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:49 PM

you don't need be rich to own a PRS.. especially if you keep your eye out on the used market...

avoid the 10 top fancy maple topped models (Look at the mahogany bodied and neck standard model instead) , forget the bird inlays and go with the dots/moon instead and don't discount the bolt on CE model..their every bit as good as the set neck version just different...

also (new) look for a reputable PRS dealer (avoid GS and the likes ) most good PRs dealers discount between 35%- 40% off list..
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:50 PM

I played a Custom 24 at a store, and it completely made me forget about Ibanez. No Jems, J-Customs, JSs,...

After reality hit me, it was back to Ibanez.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gash
actually i've owned both old and new PRS and to be honest the newer one IMO was the better of the 2.. still have the new one sold the "pre factory" .to be honest the quality was better on the newer one..
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM

Reviews: 1

I'm a tool.
I couldn't give her back to the nice man in the music store........I just couldn't do it....poor thing didn't have a home.....and soooo pretty...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic
I'm a tool.
I couldn't give her back to the nice man in the music store........I just couldn't do it....poor thing didn't have a home.....and soooo pretty...

Yes she is, take good care of her .

Regards

André

Tags
music store , playing guitar , prs guitar , prs guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode