PRS Custom 22/24 - a Wolfie sale sidetracked - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

PRS Custom 22/24 - a Wolfie sale sidetracked

I was about to pull the trigger on a Peavey Wolfgang (flametop) today, but was a bit sidetracked by the PRS Customs.

I realize that they are very different guitars, one reason I was looking at the Wolfie is because I'd get the beautiful flametop, Floyd Rose and D-Tuna. I figured I'd have a very nice classic looking axe, with the ability to hold her by the whammy bar and stay in tune..a la Vai.

My dealer says that the Tuners on the PRS's are very reliable and do stay in tune, but I wanted to solicit some opinions from those of you that are used to the basic Floyd Rose type locking systems. Do they really stay in tune, even when dive bombing and the like? How would you compare them to to the Floyd Rose system?

This is a tough one.

Any responses and opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 01:13 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

I'd say neck feel would be a big factor here. *Also in tone...Wolfies seem much brighter with more attack than PRS. *I can't imagine the PRS trem handling hacking like a Floyd...but probably fine for less exaggerated dives and vibrato.
Greg
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 01:15 AM

Reviews: 5
PRS Custom 22/24

I know a lot of people (usually older, don't know why) love PRS. *I personally think a lot of the hype over these guitars is just that- hype. *Yes they are pretty. *Yes, they are well made. *I guess PRS is like the Kramer of the 90's. *They are decent well made guitars and every rocker has 3. *In my house, there is one PRS Custom 24. *My father bought it and he likes it. *It's alright for classic rock, but the pickups are pretty flat. *Forget about artificial harmonics and tapping. *yes it's pretty...but the buck stops there. *I really dislike the sound, the feel and the hardware. *Yes, the trem stays in tune, but you won't be able to do the divebombs anyway....buy your wolfgang or another Floyd equipped guitar.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 03:48 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

I have both PRS and Ibanez guitars. I had a Peavey Wolfgang. They all have their own benefits. The PRS guitars are built better and have a more classic PAF type side, darker than Dimarzio equipped Ibanez guitars and the Peavey Wolfgangs. The PRS trems do stay in tune well largely due to the locking tuners. However, if you are really into serious Whammy bar abuse and shredding, the Wolfie is a better bet. Better yet, I think an Ibanez is a better choice for shredding largely due to the necks. Also, the Wolfgang stock pickups sound great for the EVH thing, but they aren't aren't very versatile.

Rick
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 05:05 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that with a Prs the only tone you can get is basically that sort of lespaul type Santana-ish tone. Is that so?

What about let's say metal tones...like possibly a Petrucci-ish type distortion? I really like the way Prs guitars look...gimme a Custom 24 Artist Package anytime! But sadly I haven't had the opportunity to ever try one out, the dealers here in Singapore are really really anal...if you don't have the cash don't ever bother asking...yeah that sort of attitude.

I have tried out a wolfgang, the tone somewhat reminds me of the Evo tone, but it's more defined and punchier, like a mix between PAF Pros and Tone Zones. The neck is very comfy, slightly flatter and wider than the EB/MM EVH Models. Pretty nice guitars but if you ask me, they don't feel like a real guitar, they feel like well...as if they are mass produced or something.

Chris.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 06:56 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

Side by side, the Evos and WG (to me) are two different worlds. *That was my dilemma last night. *I wanted to play the Jem, which has Evos, but the sound was not as full bodied as the WG.

I think the WG is a happy medium. *

As far as the trem, the locking tuners seem quite popular (which to me means that they work), mixed with a locking saddle they would probably stand the test.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:52 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

prs is a great guitar.....definately not for all that vai shredding crap.....but they are awesome.....im waiting on a nice 10 *top mccarty....but i dont like tremolos anymore so mine is a fixed bridge

the wolfgangs were a cool guitar...i love their neck...i didnt like the pick ups at all, they were pretty heavey on the treble side and pretty hot output pick ups.....unfortunately, it was a cheaply made guitar....many cheap parts were used....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:20 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

PRS Customs are anything BUT a one-trick pony. *True-you can get a nice, fat, warm Les Paul tone, but...with the 5-way selector, you can really get a nice Straty tone too. *Definitely a VERY versatile guitar, and not the old-persons' guitar they're made out to be. *Hell, I'm only 25 and I've been playing them for about 5 years! *They're just comfortable, reliable, sturdy, and they sound & look great. *
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:42 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

Quote:
Quote: from bluenote on 9:52 am on June 6, 2001
prs is a great guitar.....definately not for all that vai shredding crap.....but they are awesome
Are you lost? *Where do you think you are? *No offense, but this is a JEM site. *I would guess 90% of the folks here are here because they liked Vai's music enough to check out his guitar.

Additionally, he's got a point. *If you're looking for a guitar to play Foghat, Chet Atkins, Joni Mitchell, or sensitive ballads by Jewel, I fully advise you to grab a PRS. *But beware, you will not be
* doing divebombs
* creating artificial harmonics
* playing thin neck like Ibanez
* (and just for fun) pulling off the Two Handed Egyptian Scale Run

Bottom line, the reason this guitar has earned a rep as an old man's guitar is that it basically IS. *It is simple and straightforward. *Best case scenario is this:
-You buy your PRS Custom 24
-Replace the pickups with DiMarzios
-Have it routed for a LoPro
-Have the neck recarved to get rid of the old baseball bat feel

or you could save yourself the time and money and get a Ibanez or EB/MM

OUT
Chris
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:50 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
PRS Custom 22/24

Quote:
I was about to pull the trigger on a Peavey Wolfgang (flametop) today, but was a bit sidetracked by the PRS Customs.
I find it perplexing that ANY shopper would have a difficulty deciding between a PRS and a Wolfie. Not a knock on either guitar, as both are good. This verifies what you stated above... you are totally unsure of what to buy.

In that case spend some quality time with both guitars and choose based on your current style and anticipated future playing. If you're moving away from "shred" then the PRS (or somethign similar) is IMHO a better choice... glen
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 06:36 PM

PRS Custom 22/24

I'd certainly agree with Glen-there is NO comparison between a PRS and a Wolfgang. *None. *Period. *Well...they're both guitars, but that's about it. *I'm far from lost.....although I'm currently down to 7 JEMS and a UV77MC, I've been an ardent supporter of the JEM/UV line since it's inception. *However, my point was simply that there are other guitars out there that I personally find to be just as superb-and in some case superior-to Ibanez. *I LOVE my JEMS, and would not enjoy life nearly as much without them, but...PRS is hardly a classic rock axe. *There are just as many current endorsers/users of PRS as there are of Ibanez or nearly any other guitar line. *PRS just doesn't give away as many free guitars as Ibanez does...

But, it all comes down to this: *the guitar has very little to do with the music. *The talent/touch/feel of the player is where it's all at. *Remember, EVH recorded quite a bit of the early Van Halen material using a Les Paul. *With NO Floyd Rose. *NO ultra-fast neck. *It doesn't seem to have slowed him down any. *
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:39 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

I doubt that last bit about EVH is very factual.
There is a picture of a very young EVH holding a Les Paul at an outdoor concert in Pasadena in about '76, but for most of their stuff, Ed used a Charvel strat clone, some Kramer Barettas, a Kramer Ripley Stereo guitar and a Korina Explorer that he cut a chunk out of. *FWIW, the Explorer was used (according to Ed in the Guitar Player Van Halen special, 1996) only on the rhythm tracks where no tremelo was needed. *For example- the backing tracks to "Feel Your Love Tonight" and "Somebody Get Me a Doctor"
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:56 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

bluenote: are you aware you just used the words "Vai" and "crap" in the same sentence? Relating to each other even? I'm appalled to say the least.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:54 AM

PRS Custom 22/24

I think the guitar that EVH cut the chunk out of was actually and Ibanez-a Destroyer I believe. *
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 02:26 PM

PRS Custom 22/24

Vai Is Crap!!!!

Joke! :biggrin:

His opinion, obviously the wrong place to express it, but we can let him off can't we?

Steve

Tags
backing track , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , kramer baretta , les paul , les pauls , locking tuners , paf pro , paf pros , peavey wolfgang , prs guitar , prs guitars , strat sound , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode