PRS Custom 22 vs Carvin CT6: Anyone tried both? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

PRS Custom 22 vs Carvin CT6: Anyone tried both?

Thinking of getting either a Carvin CT6 or a PRS Custom 22 (or 24). Has anyone owned or played both? They seem to be similar in concept and construction, but I wonder how differently they sound. I tried a PRS Custom 24 few years back and still remember how resonant it was. Is the CT6 the same? DOes it have that bright sound to it that most Carvins have?
Thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 AM

Re: PRS Custom 22 vs Carvin CT6: Anyone tried both?

I had them both at the same time, and prefered the PRS, but with caveats. With an oiled neck on the CT6, the PRS' big advantage over the Carvin goes away. PRS painted necks are very easy to play, just like EBMM and Jackson painted necks. Carvin painted necks are less easy to play, like the overwhelming majority of painted necks. Get a Carvin with a tung oiled neck though, especially a mahogany tung oiled neck like the CT6 comes with stock, and you get playability that's just about as good as it gets.

I don't specifically remember which pickups sounded "better", as it were, but both sets sounded great and I found them both pretty versatile. I think I prefered the PRS pickups when I had them both (for about 3 months), but that might just have been my getting used to them due to the play time the guitar received. I am a fan of Carvin's 6 string pickups, they are very nice and very under rated. I really liked the PRS 5 way rotary switch as well, which I was used to after spending a decade with a CE24.

I prefer the PRS trem over the OFR on these style guitars, but that's just me. the PRS trem is chrome plated bell brass, and sustains and rings beautifully. I also love the old school PRS locking tuners, personal opinion again. Having a Floyd on the Carvin might be a plus to some, but not to me. Get the Carvin with a Wilkinson bridge and the Sperzel locking tuners, and the two are as close as you can get. Still I think the advantage goes to PRS here, but it's close enough that its only personal opinion. As far as things like colors and cases and such, both are pretty equal.

If you're buying new, both guitars can be ordered to be pretty similar really. If you're getting used, which is easier, just get the one with the better neck. Bottom line for me, the biggest difference (maybe only real difference) between the two is the neck finish on the Carvin. Everything else is just apples and slightly different apples. With a painted or finished neck on the Carvin, the PRS is simply a better, easier instrument to play gigs with. With an oiled neck, the Carvin can hang with the PRS. My personal choice would be a used Custom 24 if I were in the market.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM

I would 100% go for the Carvin. I AB/d my CT6C with my friend's PRS (it was a custom 24 though, not a 22), and the Carvin was noticeably better IMO. Mine has the tung oiled neck, and a wild quilt top that (for my taste) most non-private stock PRS guitars can't touch. It's also worth mentioning that there is a pretty big price difference between the two as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiflDd7BHq8

There's a crappy quality overview vid of it.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Reviews: 5

Is value or resale value a concern? If so, then I think it'd be important to check recent sales of each guitar on the 'bay. My bet is that the PRS will hold value far better.

That's not to say that the Carvin won't be a great guitar--just that it may not be the best if you plan to sell it one day.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM

^That is absolutely true, Carvin guitars have really poor resale value (all custom guitars do, really)...but what that means is you can get a $1700 dollar Carvin for $900-$1000. My CT6C in that video above costs over $1900 from Carvin new...I got mine mint for $400 with the tweed hardshell! My Ultra V is about $1300 new from Carvin, I got it for $425 mint with a hardshell. Not gonna find deals like that on a PRS, so if you prefer that be ready to shell out more bucks.

I happened to get an insane deal, but I've seen $1000 dollar Carvins for $500 and stuff regularly, so you can get a great deal by browsing fleabay, craigslist, guitar stores' online used sections, etc.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=shreddersymphony;981029]I would 100% go for the Carvin. I AB/d my CT6C with my friend's PRS (it was a custom 24 though, not a 22), and the Carvin was noticeably better IMO. /QUOTE]

In what respect? i have MC C with an Indian Rosewood Neck and have a hard time finding anything to improve upon ?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=Ibanized;981091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I would 100% go for the Carvin. I AB/d my CT6C with my friend's PRS (it was a custom 24 though, not a 22), and the Carvin was noticeably better IMO. /QUOTE]

In what respect? i have MC C with an Indian Rosewood Neck and have a hard time finding anything to improve upon ?
And because YOU can't find anything to improve on, it means that there's no way I found the Carvin to be nicer :P.

But just to humor you:

1. Better fretwork
2. Nicer quilt top (this is of course subjective)
3. More sustain
4. MUCH better upper fret access
5. Held tune better
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Call PRS and see how much he gets to do a custom guitar then call Carvin and see how much they get and how many options you can choose from then make ur choice.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Shreddersymphony's Carvin has one of the best tops I've ever seen anywhere ever. I'm not a big fan of quilted tops normally, but when it's that wide tubular maple that you used to find on top of the range Andersons i'm sold
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks Jono . It's my 2nd favorite quilt top ever, after the one on my custom dragonburst LP.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Reviews: 6

shreddersymphony, what's the neck like on the Carvin, in terms of thickness, contour and the like?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
shreddersymphony, what's the neck like on the Carvin, in terms of thickness, contour and the like?
I LOVE it personally. It's a perfect middle ground between not thin enough and too thin. I don't really know the measurements of it but I have medium sized hands and I absolutely love it. If anything, I'd say it's somewhat like a PRS neck but more shred-friendly. Enough chunk to really dig in, but extremely comfy to shred or hold chords.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Well, I still have not decided which one would be best, BUT I found a 1992 PRS Custom 24 I liked and I am waiting for it to arrive!
Since I haven't played either recently (I only played a Custom 24 a few years back and really liked its unplugged resonance and general sound), the deciding factor was that I believe I can find a CT6 easily at a good price in the future, but it would be harder to find an older PRS.
Now expect a NGD when it arrives!!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Nice, enjoy her
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Here it is! crappy cellphone pics but here it is anyway!!
1992 PRS Custom 24 "10" top in Tortoise Shell. Wide Thin neck HFS and Vintage Bass pickups, really nice figured rosewood fretboard and crazy looking bird inlays!

Cleaned her and set her up and can't stop playing it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode