Ibanez JEM Forum banner

PRS Dragon Pups in an Ibanez RG550?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RSVampire 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm coming to a decision on new pups for my Ibanez RG550. The guitar's stock pickups have got to go. Initially I was thinking of a DiMarzio Air Norton or PAF Pro for the neck, and a Tone Zone or Mo Joe for the bridge (definitely going for an Area 61 for the middle single coil). Then I remembered - I've a set of PRS Dragon I pups in my basement that have never been installed. Hmmm.... Already have 'em - the price is right. Anybody ever tried Dragon pups in a basswood Ibanez JEM or RG550 or similar Ibanez with a Floyd-type trem?

Since my band covers a wide variety of music, I need good clean tones (think 70's funk as well as...geh.... a couple ballads) as well as scream. I'd like this guitar to be one that, broken strings not-withstanding, I can use all night without changing guitars - Hendrix and SRV through Green Day and Korn. Dragon neck pups have pretty creamy cleans; what I really like about them is their split-coil tone - probably the best of any humbucker I've heard. Dragon bridge pups are medium-hot in output and will crunch and scream... Well at least in a PRS Custom22 they will. Don't think I've heard any comments (ever) about trying them in an RG550 or JEM.

Any thoughts?

thanks

jb

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.