PRS Guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

PRS Guitar

Its extremely hard to find prices on this guitars, forgive my ignorance, but i dont know much about them, how good are they? how expensive are they? which are the features that are "good" about them and "bad" about them (of course from your point of view). You guys think that will be enough for playing Fusion (Scott Henderson type of stuff) ? which models do you recommend me? thank you guys, and again, forgive my ignorance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 06:31 PM

Re: PRS Guitar

The sound in my oppinion is crap. You'd have to change the pickups to get the most out of it.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:29 PM

PRS? Pricey.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:02 PM

I think there over priced and not all that.
the finish is the best part about them.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Better Suhr than PRS? Better Gibson (Les Paul - Supreme or Standard) than PRS? Better a stringed oompa loompa than PRS?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeanie
I think there over priced and not all that.
the finish is the best part about them.
True .

Regards

André

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 05:15 AM

It all depends on what your tastes are. PRS are very, very high quality intruments. Even the cheaper Korean Special Edition PRS axes are of a good quality. There are loads of people that love them, especially the Tremonti and Soapbar models. They are lovely guitars.

Maybe some of the more recent models arent as good, but their late 80's early 90's models were outstanding. And as for pickups, I thought the Dragon series pickups were awesome. I had one in an old fat strat ages ago and I thought it was really nice, very meaty.

If you wanna ask anyone about PRS, ask Brent (bduersch). He sold off all of his Ibanez guitars to get PRS. Now thats really saying something. Check out his site for impressive collection pictures.

http://studio.naughtybutterspoon.com/collections.html

PRS are high-price of course, but thats because they are of a very high quality and so much effort has gone into them. You cannot compare a proper PRS to say an RG5xx series. Not even in the same league. The PRS blows it out of the water, especially in terms of quality.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 AM

I've got a PRS Archtop that I picked up in 2003. It's a fantastic guitar, pickups, setup, finish, everything.

The only other guitars I own that are close in quality, sound and playability are my EBMM JP7 and my custom shop Taylors.

Outstanding guitars. Granted, I don't like all of them, I've played more that I don't like than ones that I like (hence why I only own one). Like any guitar you just have to play a lot of'em to find one you like (just like most Ibanez's play pretty bad to me).
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 PM

I've played a PRS in a music store plus, a friend of mine had one. I was very impressed with the way they played and sounded but they're way too expensive.
I'd buy another UV before I'd get a PRS.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

wow, those are that expensive?!
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
It all depends on what your tastes are. PRS are very, very high quality intruments. Even the cheaper Korean Special Edition PRS axes are of a good quality. There are loads of people that love them, especially the Tremonti and Soapbar models. They are lovely guitars.

Maybe some of the more recent models arent as good, but their late 80's early 90's models were outstanding. And as for pickups, I thought the Dragon series pickups were awesome. I had one in an old fat strat ages ago and I thought it was really nice, very meaty.

If you wanna ask anyone about PRS, ask Brent (bduersch). He sold off all of his Ibanez guitars to get PRS. Now thats really saying something. Check out his site for impressive collection pictures.

http://studio.naughtybutterspoon.com/collections.html

PRS are high-price of course, but thats because they are of a very high quality and so much effort has gone into them. You cannot compare a proper PRS to say an RG5xx series. Not even in the same league. The PRS blows it out of the water, especially in terms of quality.
A PRS with a pickguard?????????????????

Regards

André

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:24 AM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangomles
Its extremely hard to find prices on this guitars, forgive my ignorance, but i dont know much about them, how good are they? how expensive are they? which are the features that are "good" about them and "bad" about them (of course from your point of view). You guys think that will be enough for playing Fusion (Scott Henderson type of stuff) ? which models do you recommend me? thank you guys, and again, forgive my ignorance
We've got a PRS here at my house- I guess I'll offer my opinion on these points:

A. Price: PRS are grossly overpriced, much like Gibsons. The story here as that among guitarists PRS became a bit of a status symbol near the end of the 90's. The gaudy flamed top and abalone inlays became more and more important and the prices got silly. Typically, if I see a PRS on sale in a store- I take the asking price, divide by three and add a little. As an example, our PRS Custom 24 10 top was listed at $3499.99. Divide that by three: approx $1,116. Add a few hundred: $1400 which is what it sold for. So don't be fooled by the ridiculous asking prices.

B. Quality: These guitars feel very solid and are typically very well made. I could count on one hand the number of PRS I've seen with quality control problems. However, they don't all play great. You really should play every one you can to get a feel for whether you like them.

C. Playability: This is the most subjective area- but I honestly don't like the feel of the PRS. The lacquered neck and the clunky body are just the total opposite of what a great guitar should be to me. Additionally, the pickups are very flat. This is totally my opinion, but I figured I'd offer it.

One nice thing about PRS- if you don't like it- you can probably sell it for the price you bought it at.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
We've got a PRS here at my house- I guess I'll offer my opinion on these points:

A. Price: PRS are grossly overpriced, much like Gibsons. The story here as that among guitarists PRS became a bit of a status symbol near the end of the 90's. The gaudy flamed top and abalone inlays became more and more important and the prices got silly. Typically, if I see a PRS on sale in a store- I take the asking price, divide by three and add a little. As an example, our PRS Custom 24 10 top was listed at $3499.99. Divide that by three: approx $1,116. Add a few hundred: $1400 which is what it sold for. So don't be fooled by the ridiculous asking prices.

B. Quality: These guitars feel very solid and are typically very well made. I could count on one hand the number of PRS I've seen with quality control problems. However, they don't all play great. You really should play every one you can to get a feel for whether you like them.

C. Playability: This is the most subjective area- but I honestly don't like the feel of the PRS. The lacquered neck and the clunky body are just the total opposite of what a great guitar should be to me. Additionally, the pickups are very flat. This is totally my opinion, but I figured I'd offer it.

One nice thing about PRS- if you don't like it- you can probably sell it for the price you bought it at.

Well spoken .

Regards

André

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 PM

where is the best place to buy a Prs?

Last edited by Joe Vai; 06-01-2005 at 01:53 PM.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 02:28 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Vai
where is the best place to buy a Prs?
As with anything else- it depends on what you want.

Best price is almost always going to come from a huge chain store like Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Best service is almost always going to come from a boutique or specialty distributor. http://www.prsforums.com is a good place to check for seasoned folks who can recommend the best.

I would also recommend thinking about a used PRS. With their big price tags, these things get babied and a used one is often nearly perfect.

Tags
abalone inlays , andy timmons , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , fat strat , fat tone , flamed maple , hollow body , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , music store , playing guitar , prs guitar , prs guitars , quilted maple , rusty cooley , sam ash , scott henderson , shawn lane , suhr guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode