PRS guitars are amazing - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

PRS guitars are amazing

Yeah well the other day I went to of my friend's house to jam and he had just bought a PRS CE 24 and wow I loved it he yelled at me for playing it too much, what do you think of PRS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:49 PM

I owned a PRS CE-22 from '94/5 to 1999, and I wasn't that impressed... a new toy is a wonderful thing, but that kind of wears off after a while. Maybe if it had birds I would have held onto it longer

Very solid feeling guitar, nice, even tones, stable tuning, but it wasn't like, "Oh boy, this was worth $1350!". I kinda regretted selling my Strat Ultra to get it after a while.

I'd love to have a PRS again someday, but it wouldn't be my choice for a 'main axe'. The Swamp Ash Specials really intrigue me though... I'd probably trade my PGM10th for a green one with a maple fretboard... with birds

-Ben
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:36 PM

PRS are OK. I've owned 2 CE's, one 22 and one 24. One Custom 22. And a McCarty. Nice looking gits but they just don't do it for me. I'll take a Gibson Les Paul anyday...

(I mean, come on! That's what PRS are trying to emulate...)
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:08 AM

I've played over 20, and thought maybe four or five were nice enough to purchase. All the others were pretty crappy, as far as tone and feel goes. The newer ones are just about all hype, imo (the ones I liked were almost all older guitars, like early '90s). I much prefer boutique builders.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:23 AM

Wow, people don't seem to be loving the PRSs here huh?

I agree with you Fatal Tragedy, PRSs are awesome, my mates CU24 is the nicest thing I've ever played.

Joe
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith
I'll take a Gibson Les Paul anyday...

A PRS vs. a les paul IMO is like night and day. The pots on the prs are much easier to get to and the pickup selector is an easy turning knob vs. the stuck out switch that always gets in my way on a les paul.

As far as the neck goes the cutaway is a lot thinning on a PRS because the body is a lot thinner. I know on my custom 24 it is a breeze to get up to that 24th fret.

A prs IMO is one of those guitars you can buy and never have to do anything but intonate. The pickups are perfect, the pots feel great, the tuners are reliable as hell, and i mean come on, it looks awesome.

It seems like some of you guys are listening to Ed Roman too much. :P

It is also important to remember that guitars are like women. They are all different and everyone isn't the same. A prs may not be great in your world but could be someone's cup of tea. The important thing to do is to find out what people didn't like about it THEN play it and see what you like and don't like and decide if it is worth purchasing or not.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:12 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i think buying a PRS makes sense to alot of people, but IMHO buying a CE "bolt on" PRS makes very little sense. if you want a double-cutaway axe, PRS is a great (and first) place to start.

Also, aside from signature model Ibanez axes, I don't see anything in their catalog worth near the price of a similar PRS. I don't really see the similarities myself between the lespaul and the PRS double-cutaways. totally different vibe, feel, balance, tone, etc... glen
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:48 AM
dex

It's all ice cream.
If I had to pick my favorite $2500 flavour, Mr Tom Anderson would be my top choice every time, closely followed by James Tyler and Suhr.............but then again I am a strat man so..........

ilia
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:05 PM

Years ago when I finally had enough expendable income to buy a "nice' guitar, I tried PRS and they did nothing for me...ended up with a used DSY S540!...and a string of many more Ibanez followed. Have had my share of nice ones: Prestige, J-Custom, TX Prestiges, JPM, RG, S...

A year or so back I stumbled (by trade) into a well-worn CE-24...almost a relic, partly sanded neck, but beautiful top...great "played-in" feel. Still have pics of when I got it...still gritty, but cleaned it up since:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gkelm/my_photos

Still feel a little guilty...I have a little over $400 invested. Thought I'd flip it right away, but it has gradually become my fav. My local buddies have let me borrow their McCarty & CU22 (I'm in a position to buy any of the above, was jones'in after an IRW), but the CE really does it for me...now I have a CE-22 on the way. It's been a gradual transition, but I find myself not playing my Ibanez guitars much at all any more (just sold the JPM 90th). Still have my RG-3VV, RGPR-1, and S2540, but I'm finding PRS a very sweet machine. As far as price, I've paid less for each of my PRS than any of the Ibanez I still have, and I think I acquired them at reasonable prices as well.

Tastes change...I also find myself eating less sugar in my old age as well.
Greg

PS - I realize I've committed Jemsite heresy with this post.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Wrong, they're not trying to emulate it, they're trying to improve on the design
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:15 PM

As far as being like a LP, that statement went for the McCarty and the Singlecut. I'm not a huge fan of the 5 way switch on PRS's. But thats just personal taste. Can't change on the fly as well as other guitars...

Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful guitars. Like I said, I've owned a few. But I keep going back to my Herritage Series Les Paul. That's just me...
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:
As far as being like a LP, that statement went for the McCarty and the Singlecut. I'm not a huge fan of the 5 way switch on PRS's. But thats just personal taste. Can't change on the fly as well as other guitars...

Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful guitars. Like I said, I've owned a few. But I keep going back to my Herritage Series Les Paul. That's just me...
Nothing else seems to do what Lester does, the way it does it.
Greg
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:02 PM

I still miss my Emerald Green CU22 Ten Top. Played great!
I think they play wonderfully and have a tone all their own.
I'm saving my pennies for a nice CU22 Natural Ten Top.
Yes, its gonna take awhile!
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:58 AM

greg,
Amen brother....
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 10:38 PM

i've had a couple prs's and they were all very nice...but not mind blowing...except for one.
the early small heel, 1 piece trem guitars are definitely the one's to get.
i think the prs's tone really shines when playing in a clean/ semi distorted tone. it has a complexity/depth that many guitars don't have.

Tags
alex lifeson , beautiful guitar , distorted tone , evo pickups , fender strat , fingerboard wood , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , les paul , les pauls , limp bizkit , maple fret , maple fretboard , pickup ring , pickup rings , prs guitar , prs guitars , sam ash , swamp ash , swamp ash special , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode