PRS private stock 7-string auction - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

PRS private stock 7-string auction

Is anyone else watching this one? It's got an opening bid of $17,000 and the reserve is still not met! And this is for a guitar from a company that's only built a handful of 7 strings. That's absolutely ridiculous. I assume that this one is meant to be a display piece kept in a glass case, because given the experience gap, I would think that a good high end Ibanez is much more likely to be a great 7-string than a PRS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 02:55 PM

Surely this seller is taking the piss!

I would have thought for this sort of money PRS would make you one to your specs.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 03:04 PM

I don't know if I'm more shocked that someone actually bid on it or that the reserve still isn't met. $17,000 is more than what I have in my entire collection of 12 guitars (5 seven strings)!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 03:33 PM

Yeah it may be overpriced, the seller may be a bit of a d**k, but still....its one amazing guitar! *drools*
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:11 PM

I have a friend who's spent $11,000 so far on a custom 7-string PRS. He's been waiting for over a year now. PRS likes to take their sweet time. I told him that he's nuts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
I have a friend who's spent $11,000 so far on a custom 7-string PRS. He's been waiting for over a year now. PRS likes to take their sweet time. I told him that he's nuts.
Your friends have too much money. I'd like to meet them!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
Your friends have too much money. I'd like to meet them!
Yes, this guy has BIG $$$. I wish I had that much cash to throw around at will.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:31 PM

Geez... talk about paying huge money for the PRS name. For a fraction of that, you could commission a custom 7 from any number of boutique luthiers with very similar designs, build techniques and materials.

That's a gorgeous piece of work, but at $15k, it's about $12,500 more than i'd be willing to pay.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:53 AM

Link? Auction #?

$17,000 is ridiculous. I'd rather get a custom B.C. Rich, Jackson, or even an Ibanez and be done with it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

The number was 3713484230. It ended last night and shows no bids. There was one that didn't make the reserve, so I don't know what that was all about.

With a 25 inch scale length, I don;t think I'd buy it at any price, but this one seems like a guitar that's being sold to keep under glass, not to play.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
this one seems like a guitar that's being sold to keep under glass, not to play.
And where's the fun in that?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 04:00 PM

it even says in the product description that the seller never played it either
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 05:03 PM

i dunno about you guys.. but i think it's pretty stupid to buy a guitar to throw it under glass. like someone said earlier, you could go to another luthier and get a really awesome custom guitar with a sweet maple top and great tone and pay way less, and probably have it more to your design. I have a J custom RG 8527, one of the nicer Ibanezes that aren't simple to get. but it would be stupid for me to have bought that to put it on my wall. I play it everyday.. the finish on the hardware is already dulling and there are tons of swirls in the finish.. but it sure as hell has done more for me than if i would just stare at it all day.. i dunno just my thoughts.. that prs is cool. i looove the flame top.. but i think way too extreme.. white gold and diamond fingerboard inlays.. cmon.. a little too much...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest
i dunno about you guys.. but i think it's pretty stupid to buy a guitar to throw it under glass. like someone said earlier, you could go to another luthier and get a really awesome custom guitar with a sweet maple top and great tone and pay way less, and probably have it more to your design. I have a J custom RG 8527, one of the nicer Ibanezes that aren't simple to get. but it would be stupid for me to have bought that to put it on my wall. I play it everyday.. the finish on the hardware is already dulling and there are tons of swirls in the finish.. but it sure as hell has done more for me than if i would just stare at it all day.. i dunno just my thoughts.. that prs is cool. i looove the flame top.. but i think way too extreme.. white gold and diamond fingerboard inlays.. cmon.. a little too much...
I don't think there's a single person on this forum who would disagree with you.

Tags
custom guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode