PRS SE Soapbar - anybody played or own one? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

PRS SE Soapbar - anybody played or own one?

I'm intrigued by this model - I don't own any P-90 equipped guitars and feel like I could sure use one for home/recording purposes. I'm not so keen on the Epiphone models in this price range after owning a few. They weren't bad but I've heard nothing but good things about the PRS SE's.

Has anybody tried one of these soapbar models or own one? I'd really like to gather some input! Also, it looks like they've replaced the double cut version with a single cut for 2008 If that's the case I'd probably be looking for a used model.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can pass along!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Re: PRS SE Soapbar - anybody played or own one?

I personally dont like P90 pickups but I did play one a few times and it played very well. Theyre very good guitars for the price, although if i had to buy one I'd prefer the humbucker one. Nice tops too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM

I love P90s, so I was quite enthused to try the PRS Soapbar II SE. Needless to say, I was dissapointed. The pickups were quite noisy, IMHO, even for single-coils, and the guitar played like crap. Then again, I have yet to find a PRS that I liked the playability, on.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!

Racer, what didn't you like about it in terms of playability? Was it the thick, wide neck? Did it hold tune? It's been years since I've tried any PRS so I don't remember much, other than disappointment.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:51 PM

P-90s are noisy as originally designed. If you want the P-90 sound, you put up with the noise. They are most effective with a bluesy crunch breakup, not full on high gain distortion. Listen to some Black Crows or Georgia Satellites for tone examples. Here's a Reverend Daredevil 290: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQAB5bu0rLg
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 AM

I've got an old Fernandes LP jr from the 80's with a single P90 and I love the sound of it. As has been said the P90 is noisey, much more so than strats etc. To me the sound is full with a nice bite on the high end, perfect for that bluesy warmth. Quite nice if that sound suits your music.

Don't know about the PRS though, never played one.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 PM

I'm not really a big fan of P90s. It's like a really bright single coil that wants to be a humbucker. If you are looking for some punch though, I guess they are a good choice.

But as far as the PRS SE series go, I cannot recommend them enough. They are GREAT guitars, probably the best you can buy at the $500 mark. The hardware on them is superb, and my Santana SE sounds great. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
P-90s are noisy as originally designed. If you want the P-90 sound, you put up with the noise. They are most effective with a bluesy crunch breakup, not full on high gain distortion. Listen to some Black Crows or Georgia Satellites for tone examples. Here's a Reverend Daredevil 290: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQAB5bu0rLg
Yeah, but what I'm saying is that these seemed noisier than most P90s I've played.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the baseball-bat necks on these things, either. I know many of you guys like em, but, to me, they don't feel all that much different than some of the low-end junk guitars from the 70s and 80s. Different strokes......
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
Yeah, but what I'm saying is that these seemed noisier than most P90s I've played.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the baseball-bat necks on these things, either. I know many of you guys like em, but, to me, they don't feel all that much different than some of the low-end junk guitars from the 70s and 80s. Different strokes......
They must not be set up correctly...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 PM

I love the Soapbar. For a guitar under $500, it's awesome.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everybody for the replies! I'm definitely willing to put up with the noise for great P-90 or single coil tone. That said, I've waffled on whether or not to pick one up and something new's come up. I probably won't pick one up right away but GAS will kill me eventually. Again, thanks!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:55 AM

Reviews: 3

I own 3 guitars at the moment. I have a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul special. The P-90's in the LP are absolutely awesome. In fact, when I have my rig dialed in for my Fenders I can hardly get anything but extremely high gain sounds out of the Gibson because the pickups have such a high and powerful output. They are stronger than almost every "burstbucker" that Gibson offers. However, they do clean up well when you roll back the volume and have a very warm but articulate tone. I think it is safe to say that I am a big fan of P-90's.

I haven’t played a SE soapbar but I have played a couple SE's and I liked them both. they both played, felt and sounded great. I recommend them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode