PRS SE.....Underrated - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PRS SE.....Underrated

Ok, I've had a lot of Ibanez like the rest of you guys. Jem, JS1000, JPM, endless RG550-570 etc. My daughter (13y) wanted an electric guitar. She plays acoustic and my Prestige sometimes. But she wanted her own electric. I went to the music store to see what was current, thinking I'd find an acceptable Epiphone, or a sub $1000 Les Paul. No Pauls, and the Epiphones were unplayable. I've had PRS's before and know the artist rep at PRS. So I know PRS's. I also know that any PRS purist will laugh when he hears "SE", which means Student Edition. So I played a Tremonti into a Fender Super Sonic. I couldn't put it down, literally. I think that was the most time I spent in a music store. I had so much fun playing it, I didn't want to give it back. So we ordered her a new black one. The floor model had pick scratches and she wants to put her own pick scratches. It still hasn't come in yet. But I went back a week later and bought myself one. I got to tell you. If you get a chance, play one. I played the other SE's, I only liked the Tremonti model. The guitar is pieced together Mahogany with cheap pickups. At least by Prestige standards. But I LOVE it. It's fun to play, sounds great at any level on any channel. No trem, no 24 frets. But playing guitar is more than shred. And I have a Prestige for shreddy stuff. But for thick ole Drop D Chunka Chunka, it's got it. Don't be to proud to pick up a $500 SE and demo it next time your at the music store. I think you'll be surprised. The fret work is as good as anything I've seen on any Ibanez. That was a nice surprise.

Later, Darin

Here's the PRS SE in action.

http://www.chriswoodwardmusic.com/PRS SE/Un Nu U-01.mp3
http://www.chriswoodwardmusic.com/PRS SE/Dorm Room.mp3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: PRS SE.....Underrated

Yeah I heard the SEs were pretty decent. Kinda hot/cold on PRS guitars in general.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:06 PM

The PRS SE's get nearly unanimous praise from anyone who has ever tried one. I'm not sure how they're under rated exactly, or why you think people look down on them. MJy experience is that people who know guitars respect them, plain and simple.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:06 PM

I just can't get into PRS. I've tried them out a few times, and I really wanted to like them -- they're very pretty -- but I just didn't like the feel. Maybe it's the scale length, or the neck, I don't know what the problem is. I liked Ibanez RGA's ok, (even thinking about buying one) so I don't think it's the non locking bridge/nut that's bothering me.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
The PRS SE's get nearly unanimous praise from anyone who has ever tried one. I'm not sure how they're under rated exactly, or why you think people look down on them. MJy experience is that people who know guitars respect them, plain and simple.
Just the 'Real PRS' owners I guess. I don't think they would even consider playing one. Might be like J Custom and Jem owners playing an IBANEZ RG 250 DX.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 02:19 AM

The difference between a J Custom and an RG250x vs. the difference between an SE series and a regular PRS isn't even comparable.

The SE series, as far as I'm concerned, are every bit as good as a higher end PRS. Think of it as the "Les Paul BFG" of PRS.

They are great guitars, and for anyone purchasing a new guitar under $600, I would tell them to buy an SE. It beats anything Ibanez has to offer in this price range, apart from buying used. As a matter of fact, I am playing one in my lap right now as I type this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 04:28 AM

Underrated 100%.

Probably in the top 5 guitars made for the money. The Tremonti PRS SE is fantastic. An old friend of mine from college has 3 of the things, and all of them are top notch. Great build quality, great tone, great guitars for the money. And that goes for the rest of the PRS SE line as well from what I have read.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
The difference between a J Custom and an RG250x vs. the difference between an SE series and a regular PRS isn't even comparable.

The SE series, as far as I'm concerned, are every bit as good as a higher end PRS. Think of it as the "Les Paul BFG" of PRS.

They are great guitars, and for anyone purchasing a new guitar under $600, I would tell them to buy an SE. It beats anything Ibanez has to offer in this price range, apart from buying used. As a matter of fact, I am playing one in my lap right now as I type this.
The difference, and why off the shelf USA PRS's are so much "better' that the SE's. Here's how my PRS Ibanez comparison works. PRS's, CNC machined bodies and necks, the rest is hand crafted, I been to the factory. Amazing what these guys do with wood there. All the wood is hand selected, hand sanded many many times through the process by well paid craftsman. Superior hardware and electronics. The SE's, bordering on ply wood perhaps. Made in Korea, with lower grade hardware and electronics. blot of the comparisons between the PRS's vs the SE and the J C to the RG may not be totally accurate. But it's not far off. I also guess my point was that. Some people get a little guitar snooty, and wont accept the SE's as REAL PRS's. Think of it this way. It's kinda like the "Epiphone made by Gibson". When I see a guy with an Epiphone Les Paul. I instantly see 'cheap knock off'. So I guess I'm guilty of it myself. I don thing I would have considered the SE for myself...ever, really. If I wasn't looking for a guitar for my daughter. I was surprised by it. But when I played the Epiphones, I was no surprised. It was what i expected. Even the friend that works at the guitar shop told me that the PRS kills the Epiphone in quality for the price range.
Not sure if that clears anything up. You're probably right though, the comparison is not totally accurate. It was the best I could come up with.

Darin
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:33 AM

i used a tremonti se with a dimarzio fred in it, and the sounds are gorgeous. i wasing using it in the studio with my band last summer, and i love the sound. very good indeed. i would get an se custom if the front wasnt so damned flat

I call her the prs satrimonti :-)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I agree that they're not "real" PRS guitars, if the company was willing to accept them as PRS guitars then they'd be labelled up as such.

Ibanez and Jackson label everything up as their major brand name, but PRS and ESP have a dedicated "sub-brand" for their lower spec guitars.

Having said that, if I wanted a cheap 2x HB hardtail, these are the guitars that I would be looking at.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:09 AM

The 3 P-90 model is the one to get. Those are a blast!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Yeah, the singlecut SE P-90 is nice.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Having said that, if I wanted a cheap 2x HB hardtail, these are the guitars that I would be looking at.
I've been wanting to get a cheap hardtail recently and reading the reviews over here, it's got me thinking of buying a PRS SE. Saw a Singlecut on evilbay (250090227777) and really like the finish on it.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
I've been wanting to get a cheap hardtail recently and reading the reviews over here, it's got me thinking of buying a PRS SE. Saw a Singlecut on evilbay (250090227777) and really like the finish on it.

That's a nice unit. Before you buy though. There is a difference in that and the Tremonti. Not sure if the pups are different, but the toggle is in a different place and the Tremonti has 4 knobs instead of 2. The advantage to 4 knobs is, in the middle pos you can roll back the volume on one pup and get different tones. Not that it's better, just different.

Good luck with that.

Darin

Tags
david mccarroll , electric guitar , epiphone les paul , fender super sonic , flame maple , guitar shop , ibanez rga , korean guitar , les paul , locking bridge , music store , neck shape , playing guitar , prs guitar , prs guitars , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode