PRS Standard 24 with Dimarzio PUs? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up PRS Standard 24 with Dimarzio PUs?

Hi All,

I have a PRS Standard 24, all mahogany--neck through, 3 way toggle/push-pull tone with factory PUs. The ones in there are OK--and they've done the job pretty decent for the last 7-8 years I've owned the guitar.

Lately, I'm thinking of replacing the stock pu's with a Dimarzio Steve's Special in the bridge and a Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck. How do yall think this would sound in the PRS? I use a Mesa Single Rectifier Solo 50 with a Marshall 4x12 loaded with GT12-75s ( nice and broken in too! ).

I'm thinking the PUs will take the tone up a notch quite a bit. Let me know what you all think about this change. And lastly, what color PU's would look nice in a creme PRS? Thanks greatly in advance.

Best,
~Nep~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM

Re: PRS Standard 24 with Dimarzio PUs?

Although I'm more of a Seymour Duncan fan in a PRS, what you listed would probably work our great.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Adam,

Thanks for the answer! Hopefully I can get more folks to chime in on this one...or--more specifically, folks who use this combination of PU's. I just wanted to make sure that this combo would work well with all mahogany--although I'm quite sure it would and don't see why it wouldn't. Any others wanting to throw in some input, feel free. Thanks!

Best,
~Nep~
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 AM

Hey man! I can't vouch for the SS, but the AN is is an excellent pup. I have one in the neck of my RG421 hardtail. I know its not a Mahogany guitar but its really a very 'airy' pickup thats great for prity much anything I throw at it! I dont think you will regret these pups....I know that they are the ones that Petrucci uses, or used to use. I got my TZ/AN combo after hearing Paul Gilbert play...I didn't get a chance to try them before hand and I dont regret it.

I say go for it!

Chris
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else care to help out on this subject? It would be much appreciated to say the least. Thanks again!

Best,
~Nep~
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:10 AM

Reviews: 39

My PRS Paul Allender is my main axe when paired with my Mesa Mark III (something just magic about those Allender pickups...) but the Air Norton would be a definite winner for the neck slot. If your going for the Petrucci-esque tone (slightly thicker sounding since the PRS is more guitar) I wouldn't look over the liquifire either. It seems to be really sweet too and I think would sound great paired with a Mesa.

Question, your PRS is maple topped right? You said "all mahogany..." You would want a little brighter pickup in the bridge to balance that out...The Super 3 may be for you too...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode