PRS Torero - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

PRS Torero

Hey!

Any of you guys played one of these ?

It looks superb!!

Definitely a metal machine with the EMGs! 24 frets of awesomeness! Price tag isn't cheap but isn't ridiculously high either! Wonder how the neck feels though! It definitely looks like a new "experiment" from PRS! I'm usually a bit scared of new products as they usually have a few flaws that won't be corrected until the product matures.. I wonder about quality of components used.. how's the sustain, how well the floyd stays in tune etc. Doesn't seem to have pot switching though.. so only humbucker fun

I wonder how does it compare to equivalents from Schecter and ESP! It definitely bears some resemblance with the C-1 Hellraiser... but I think the PRS looks better!! Doesn't seem as good as the new Ibanez RGA420Z but well that's on a whole different level!

Sadly this PRS is not anywhere in Europe where I could try it right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Re: PRS Torero

As soon as I can get my hands on one i will post a detailed review, none of the local shops have one at the moment, although i would imagine willcut might as they carry and sell a wide variety of prs products.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:58 PM

I think they look great, and I'd love to check one out.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM

The neck feels great. It's the PRS wide/thin neck profile and it's perfect. It plays a lot like the PRS Custom 24's but it just feels so much more metal.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 PM

$1000 for a Korean-made PRS with a veneer top....no thanks. Carvin offers customized features (inlays, non-veneer top, etc) on a USA made guitar for basically the same price.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:41 PM

I actually got one of these for $800 including shipping and custom fees and they absolutely ROCK! I mean..for $800 you get a Floyd, EMG's, an ebony fretboard, perfect finish........and I used to HATE PRS guitars! Definitely NOT your typical PRS guitar. The only thing better on the market right now are the GKG guitars. Hence my next one being a Russian Roulette. I do have to say that if you're not into shred guitars....this is not an axe for you.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Reviews: 4

I too have played one, twice actually, the queality is amazing and the smoothest nec I have EVER played, the the neck is very smooth, and suprisingly, the pickups, even though they are EMGs have a great clean tone and singing lead without being harsh! hes it does not have an inlay, but they DO have side markers, and personally, i thing inlays would kinda spoil the guitar, again, very comfortable neck, not too slick, but just more like gliding, well, you know how ebony iss, and even thogh its a veneer, the wood DOES sow very well, and it is rather a thick vaneer as so! the trem is very smooth, and stayed in tune perfectly and very high quality. acoustically, the guitar sounds really clear and full, a lot of dimensio, but not so much that in really interferes with the playing of course, the body is pretty consistantly resonant as well, it really DOES play like a 1000 dollars, at least - more than other guitars i have play that have been the same price! and by the way, the custom 24s actually are quite good, but the 25th anniversery 24SE's are actually better than the previous ones! http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00000159962854 < there was that guitar world contest a while back to submit a pic with this axe and you could win one, thats the one I played!

Anyway, I urge those that can to play one, you'll love it!!!!!!

Last edited by fwd0120; 05-08-2010 at 02:32 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM

The SE's IMO are the best of the Korean imports. Excellent quality. Haven't played the Torrero, but I'm sure it's no exception. As for the veneer top, that is true yet it is sitting on a real maple cap. So you still get the sound of a nice maple cap but cheaper. As for Carvin. To get a Carvin with figured top and floyd you are talking 50% more at least. Unless you go used.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Darned double post!!!!!!!! :-C

Riverdragon, you are right, they are maple capped! and i dont get what everybody has against vaneers anyway though??

Last edited by fwd0120; 05-08-2010 at 02:44 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 39

I'm in love with my SE Paul Allender! The Paul Allender pickups sound incredibly unique and awesome, especially with my Mesa, and the wide/thin profile is better than any of the regular SE models (just tested the new Anniversary SE customs and they are a bit fatter).

While i'm not always sold on EMG's, I think the floating trem on a PRS would be a very welcome change and if the neck profile felt close to my Allender, then i'd be pretty sold on it. Can't wait to do some extensive testing and review it!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
I'm in love with my SE Paul Allender! The Paul Allender pickups sound incredibly unique and awesome, especially with my Mesa, and the wide/thin profile is better than any of the regular SE models (just tested the new Anniversary SE customs and they are a bit fatter).

While i'm not always sold on EMG's, I think the floating trem on a PRS would be a very welcome change and if the neck profile felt close to my Allender, then i'd be pretty sold on it. Can't wait to do some extensive testing and review it!
yes, I was very weary of the EMGs at first too, but plugged them in and i was shocked to hears the had a very clean, yet non-steril - tone, in fact they almost had this strat-like presence, i mean, not really a strat sound, but very clear without sounding bland, and with distortion they did clean up nicely, i tried them on a tube amp (blues Jr.) and a solid state (was it a cube or vypyr?? i forget lol). sounds really nice!!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Reviews: 15

Just picked up a PRS SE Custom 22 Stoptail and I have to agree; the build quality is fantastic on these Korean instruments. The Torero looks fantastic and it's a great departure from the norm for PRS. Can't wait for my local music shop to get one in.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
$1000 for a Korean-made PRS with a veneer top....no thanks. Carvin offers customized features (inlays, non-veneer top, etc) on a USA made guitar for basically the same price.
A lot of good guitars come out of Korea, even in that price range.

Personally I bet it plays as good as everyone says, and I definitely wouldn't complain if I had one. However, I've never been a fan of PRS body shapes like that. Looks like an obese S series imo.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Being a Jem nut, I own over 13 jems and 3 universes including 10th, 20th and original UVMC and a lot of other high end stuff. I attended a Steve Vai seminar in London today during a break I spotted the PRS Torero. I played it and bought it on the spot. I know it's an SE but no other guitar has had this impact on me in such a short period of time and I have owned over 100 guitars. You name it I've had it. This is something special. Because I have 2 young children usually asleep around the time I want to play, I mostly play unplugged and even unplugged this thing has such a natural ring to it. It comes with 10s but it's no effort at all. I will drop the action just a touch on the treble side and that's it. Wish I could say the same for my other guitars. SE or not I would expect to pay a lot more for these features and the feel of it. Well done PRS, never thought I'd buy one but here I am and happy. I would recommend it but then I want it to remain exclusive.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:02 AM

There Nice, but i'd put Seymour Duncan Blackouts - Emg's are so Bland!

Tags
prs torero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode