PS-10 questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
PS-10 questions

Hello everyone, new member.

I've been looking at Ibanez PS-10 guitars (Paul Stanley model) and I know some things but I have stumbled upon a couple of questions.

First, in the 90's they made a model called the PS-10 II. It was a "budget" model of the guitar that from my knowledge and from everything I have read about it was made in Korea. I have been finding guitars made in Japan and labeled "PS-10II" were there some Japanese ones? Or is it something off with the logo? If there were Japanese "2's" how can you tell which ones are and which are Korean? Finally, if there are Japanese 2's when were they made? Were they the first ones?

Second, I read on the Ibanez wiki that the new PS-10 currently in production isn't right. It didn't go into specifics but said "it's a shame to even call these a PS-10 because it's so different" I'm not an expert on these things but, does anyone know what the differences are?

I'm planning to pick up a PS-10LTD here soon and am thinking about either a new production model or a used 10-2 for a second.

Thanks for any help.
Chiliphil1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:40 AM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,571
Re: PS-10 questions

Whoever wrote the wiki line should just stick his head in the sand. Paul decides what the PS10 is, and yes he wants it to be different enough there is a reason for people to buy it, and modern hardware is slightly different from 40 years ago. And horrible they went from polished rosewood and V2 pickups to ebony and Duncans. The tailpiece is nicer also as the old type was dropped long ago.

The PS10II should all be Korean. There was a 20th that is Japanese, as is the LTD, the 20th's are numbered with the number stamped in the end of the fretboard. IIRC there were around 500 of them.

I've got a nice new Second stock 10 if that temps you.

IBANEZ PS10BK PAUL STANLY ICEMAN
Rich is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Re: PS-10 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Whoever wrote the wiki line should just stick his head in the sand. Paul decides what the PS10 is, and yes he wants it to be different enough there is a reason for people to buy it, and modern hardware is slightly different from 40 years ago. And horrible they went from polished rosewood and V2 pickups to ebony and Duncans. The tailpiece is nicer also as the old type was dropped long ago.

The PS10II should all be Korean. There was a 20th that is Japanese, as is the LTD, the 20th's are numbered with the number stamped in the end of the fretboard. IIRC there were around 500 of them.

I've got a nice new Second stock 10 if that temps you.
Thank you for the info! I really appreciate your help.

The guitar that made me question it was the one on ebay, item # 352187516102 it has the 10-2 style tail piece but is marked MIJ. Confusing stuff but I'm sure someone could have just swapped that piece over the years.

If I may ask your opinion. Do you believe that the new ones are on par with or maybe even better than the older ones? Would a new production PS-10 match up to the 90's LTD models? As far as the one you have, I am interested I'm about 2 weeks or so away from buying and I will definitely be checking your site before buying anywhere else.

Thank you again.
Chiliphil1 is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,571
Re: PS-10 questions

I can't explain that II, those are crap tuners and the polished rosewood says Korea. Maybe they made some in Japan for distribution in Japan, or maybe I'm just wrong. I'm no PS10 expert.

I've had several LTD's over the years. No reason a new 10 isn't every bit as good, and better than a 70's which are typically very old guitars now.
Rich is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Re: PS-10 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I can't explain that II, those are crap tuners and the polished rosewood says Korea. Maybe they made some in Japan for distribution in Japan, or maybe I'm just wrong. I'm no PS10 expert.

I've had several LTD's over the years. No reason a new 10 isn't every bit as good, and better than a 70's which are typically very old guitars now.
Thank you very much. That's very helpful info. I think, if I can I will go with the LTD since they are so unique but, with your advice that makes me feel much more comfortable with buying the new ones.
Chiliphil1 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,571
Re: PS-10 questions

I've never liked the Black Pearl, probably because they used it on JS's for 17 years, but I'd take Black anyday.
Rich is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Re: PS-10 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've never liked the Black Pearl, probably because they used it on JS's for 17 years, but I'd take Black anyday.
I understand that. To be honest, I don't like the gold on the LTD. If I ever get a guitar with gold hardware I usually swap it out. However, with the LTD being what it is, super rare with the hand signed COA and all of that. They seem to be getting rare and stupid expensive, so I figure I should grab one while I still can. Other than that I would prefer the new one with the chrome hardware but, I'm sure I'll end up going LTD.
Chiliphil1 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,571
Re: PS-10 questions

High asking prices in no way mean stupid expensive, try finding one that actually sold. And forget all the ones with sellers from Japan that are always 20-50% higher than market value on any guitar they list, they're brokers selling something listed online in Japan and don't own anything.

The 20th in pink lined is more rare, as will be the current standard production. And COA's are collector gimmicks, either the guitar is desirable enough to sell for big money, or it isn't. A cert will never change that.
Rich is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Re: PS-10 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
High asking prices in no way mean stupid expensive, try finding one that actually sold. And forget all the ones with sellers from Japan that are always 20-50% higher than market value on any guitar they list, they're brokers selling something listed online in Japan and don't own anything.

The 20th in pink lined is more rare, as will be the current standard production. And COA's are collector gimmicks, either the guitar is desirable enough to sell for big money, or it isn't. A cert will never change that.
Man, you are really changing my mind. You think the current ones will be more rare than the LTD? I would have never even thought that. I figured they were churning those out by the hundreds!

Again, I cannot thank you enough for the info. I think I will end up with a new one rather than the LTD since you've enlightened me on it. I'll just have to pickout the second one either an older one or a PS120.

You wouldn't happen to know anyone still doing the cracked mirror tops would you?
Chiliphil1 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,571
Re: PS-10 questions

There are too many cheap options in PS today. The 120 I sold was surprisingly nice. Definitely not Fujigen nice but it wasn't bad for as cheap as it was.

When they make "Limiteds" like that you tend to find the greatest percentage bought to be kept mint, meaning superb condition examples never become rare. And many times you slap a Limited badge on something and you'll sell more of them than if it was claimed regular production. It's a cattle prod to buyers and collectors to buy where they may never have considered buying if regular production.

KAMN/KAMM I can't remember, they still put up custom mirror pieces on ebay, I see no reason they still wouldn't be doing CM mods.

PS's have seen no appreciable movement in the last 20 years. A MINT original 70's/80's 10 was $3000 20 years ago, it may be $3500 today. LTD's have seen no appreciation and IMO it's because they aren't black and chrome, and there are plenty of high grade condition guitars.
Chiliphil1 likes this.
Rich is offline  
Reply

Tags
paul

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more questions... milleniumking Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 12 02-11-2014 12:52 AM
We all have questions.... katrina Off-topic / Miscellaneous 42 09-23-2006 04:49 AM
QUESTIONS!!! newbieguitarmaker Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 23 08-07-2006 11:38 AM
Hello. I'm new and have questions yngzaklynch All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 6 05-16-2005 09:18 PM
Ibanez JS Questions!!! - Please answer these questions I hav Ibaman Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 6 09-08-2001 02:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome