!Push/Pull Humbuck split on RG3120 query! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

!Push/Pull Humbuck split on RG3120 query!

I recently bought this RG3120, it's a great guitar but i was getting problems with the 5 way pick up switch. Basically it would make excess noise when used, and if it got stuck in between certain positions it would completely mute the guitar.

A guitar tech tried to replace the 5 way switch but the same problem remained. So he suggested replacing the 5 way with a 3 way, and turning the tone knob into a push/pull coil splitter.

I'm happy with the result, as I only ever used the neck/bridge pick up when playing. However, the push/pull knob does very little for my lead tone (it does however make my clean tone much cleaner which is good).

So my questions are, is it normal for the push/pull to have very little effect on lead/distorted tones or does it depend on the pickups (I have paf Pros). Also, was it a wise move to have the 5 way replaced with the push/pull system!

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 AM

Re: !Push/Pull Humbuck split on RG3120 query!

It was a wise move if you are happy with it, it is a simple as that.
It is just a guitar, not a 1000 year old holy relic, your change wont change the value of the guitar.

For my personal preferences was it a bad move, I would never have done that.
But I do agree with you that those “silent” spots that many Ibanez super switches have can be very annoying. But I never had a problem with it after changing for DiMarzio super switches, even if you an find the silent spots there too (you can do that on all super switches).

The reason for me to not use your setup is that I would lose some of the sounds that I use a lot, like neck pickup in parallel. But if you don’t use those sounds, then why not?

Not knowing what the push/pull knob does (split, parallel?) can I only guess (but I think it is wired for split). If you don’t really hear much difference on you lead tone, then you are probably using loads of preamp gain (or pedal), are you?

You should be able to hear that it loose half it power when you push it up if it is in split mode and ¾ of it’s power if it is in parallel (but with loads of preamp gain does dynamics like that get lost), gets a more open treble response (normally also gets lost with to much amp/pedal gain), a bit more “airy” bas (also gets lost in to much gain) basically a more singlecoil sort of sound (but not really like a real singlecoil sound, still to much drive for that). Parallel should give you a more open bas resonse, less muddy.

Anyway, it is a nice color on your axe.

/Magnus
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post

Not knowing what the push/pull knob does (split, parallel?) can I only guess (but I think it is wired for split). If you don’t really hear much difference on you lead tone, then you are probably using loads of preamp gain (or pedal), are you?

Anyway, it is a nice color on your axe.

/Magnus
Hey Magnus! thank you very much for the reply! I have to admit that my lead tones are coming from my GT-8 boss multi-effects pedal with a fair bit of gain. Maybe with the natural distortion of the amp I'd be able to hear more of a difference.

When using an accoustic setting, the coil split is audible, and the sound bcomes cleaner and more crisp (which is fine). I'll experiment with different lead settings tonight.

And thanks for the kind words on the guitar!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:58 PM
GAZ

Exclamation Re: !Push/Pull Humbuck split on RG3120 query!

Lovely looking guitar you have there, but it must be an RGT3120 to be that colour ?? I'm intrigued that changing the 5 way switch didn't make a difference though. That suggests a different problem to me, and a guitar tech that I would be highly suspicious of !!!!! There are thousands if not millions of Ibanez 5 way switches that work fine, yet yours could only be sorted by a 3 way and coil tap mod ???? Hmmmmmm. But at least your happy with it now so enjoy !!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Hey Gaz! Yeah it's an RGT 3120. I know what you mean abot the guitar tech etc. I suppose on the bright side if in future I find the coil tap to be a hinderance I can just get a 5 way put in by a different tech who knows what he's doing. It was a very cheap process and the guitar does play better now than before (i.e. it doesn't cut out when I change pickup) so all is not lost!

I think Magnus was right about my useage of too much pre amp/pedal gain which may affect the coil split's effectiveness. I tried using some distortion from the amp itself and the results were much better.

Thanks for the kind words on the guitar Gaz!

Tags
clean tone , coil split , coil tap , distorted tone , distorted tones , guitar tech , neck pickup , paf pro , paf pros , preamp gain , pull coil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode