Push-Pull pots in a Saber... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Push-Pull pots in a Saber...

Hi,

does anyone know if there is a manufacturer who builds push-pull pots that have less height than "usual"?

I'd like to fit a push-pull in the tone-position of my Saber, but it's too large in height. It sticks out of the electronic cavity by about 5mm, so there's no way to fit the cover.

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM

Re: Push-Pull pots in a Saber...

I never saw one that'll fit there. Only on the volume control.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 10:41 AM

I may be wrong but doesn't the S-based FGM (Frank Gambale model) have two push-pull pots?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

You're wrong - at least the wiring diagrams on ibanez.com say so.

The FGM does have a push-pull pot only in the volume-position, according to these diagrams.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 AM

Yeap, you can only fit a pushpull pot in the vol pot.

But.

Heh. I am embarking on a mini mod that requires no drilling to my Saber but can provide up to 3 additional mini switches. In lieu of the main pup selector.

Or 1 3-way pup selector (gibson style) and 1 (maybe 2!)mini toggles.

In a nutshell, take a look at your pup selector. Its sitting on a piece of plastic. Open up the cavity. You will see, beside your pup selector, 2 nuts, unscrew them, you can take out that piece of plastic. You will see you have a rectanglar hole and 2 holes (for the screws of that piece of plastic). Now, you can DIY a piece of arylic, or wood, or metal, into your desired shape, poke 2 holes, get 2 screws to hold it onto the body, and there you go. Space for more mods.

It ain't uber fantasic, but if you got limited space, you could might as well do it.

In my case, I can think of, a H-H saber. Do the mod. Have a 3-way toggle, 1 on/on mini toggle to handle coil split for both pups. OR. Have a 3-way toggle, grab a 4PDT 3-way switch, to handle series/parallel/split for BOTH humbuckers at once.

Oh, yeah, you might, might might... need to sand that rectangular hole on yoru saber a touch wider to accomdate the 3way selector.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 PM

Depending on what you want done, of course, maybe a push-push pot like Ibanez used in the early eighties. It's SPST though so your options are limited.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM

i didn't know Ibanez had pushpush pots in the 80s... I know Yamaha still has them in the Gambale sig... universaljems.com has pushpush pots but can't recall if its SPDT or DPDT...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
i didn't know Ibanez had pushpush pots in the 80s...
Here from 1986
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1986/p08.jpg

All the humbuckers are wired to push/push pots. The DUO-Sound feature is a coil tap in these cases.

Tags
coil split , coil tap , frank gambale , frank gambale model , gambale model , mini switches , mini toggle , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode