Q's on the RG2550E - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Q's on the RG2550E

Just a couple of small questions on the 2550E, seeing as I might be purchasing one soon:

*What's the difference between the 2006 model and the ones made before this? Is it the 5-piece neck?

*Are all Prestige RG's made in Japan?

*What's your opinion of the Edge Pro compared to the older Edge trem?

Does anyone here have a customized one, such as fitting better pickups? If so, what pickups did you fit?

That's all for now. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 10:39 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Q's on the RG2550E

i have only compare it with a 90´s 550, the neck feels the same, but the 550 has a maple fretboard and neck, is made in japan and the lo-pro that it has looks more solid but compare to the edge pro it has the same function, i mean both of them work perfectly fine and none of them gets out of tune, and another thing the 90´s has the locking studs.
JJ
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:18 AM

The 2550 is Japanese - I believe all Prestige RGs are still Japanese,but the Prestige SAs are coming out of Korea. I gotta say I have several Ibes with Edge and Lo Pros, and the Edge Pro is a nicer feeling bridge under your hand (well IMHO anyway) - there have been a number of threads concerning the pickups, and opinion varies - they ARE Dimarzios - some people seem to like 'em, some people find them a bit average - probably best to live with them for a while - if they are the same as the pickups in the last 3120s, they sound pretty good to me.

Cheers

David
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 02:02 AM

i have this (which doesnt resemble a 2550 now) its a 2550 with a tonezone (bridge) blue velvet and a breed. its done in pearlesent green and sounds awsome the neck on this is the thinner one , not like the specs now'

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:50 AM

when did they change the neck? ive got an '05
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 08:14 AM

I bought one last year.

The neck on it feels a little meatier in the higher registers, I find it more comfortable than the neck on my old RG520.

I added a Dimarzio Fred in the bridge, and a sustainiac in the neck. The pickguard seems to cause a little wierdness with the sustainiac, so I'll be changing it soon... and the while the Fred sounds good, its a little bit darker sounding that I would like. I will probably change it out for an evo or a TZ sometime.

I completely love the edge pro bridge. A lot of folks will tell you that the original edge is better for this reason or that... but personally I haven't noticed a signifigant difference in feel.

Mine has a 5 piece neck, and as far as I know all Prestige series Ibanez are made in Japan.

I like the guitar a lot! I play it more than my Jem..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperfetish
when did they change the neck? ive got an '05
I think the older ones had a 3-piece neck, and the new ones have a 5-piece? Not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll
The 2550 is Japanese - I believe all Prestige RGs are still Japanese,but the Prestige SAs are coming out of Korea. I gotta say I have several Ibes with Edge and Lo Pros, and the Edge Pro is a nicer feeling bridge under your hand (well IMHO anyway) - there have been a number of threads concerning the pickups, and opinion varies - they ARE Dimarzios - some people seem to like 'em, some people find them a bit average - probably best to live with them for a while - if they are the same as the pickups in the last 3120s, they sound pretty good to me.
Maybe those pickups are the same as the ones I had in my 1990 RG750? I'm not sure, but those were actually very verstile: Dimarzio / IBZ F2, F3 and F4, I think they were. I wouldn't be in a rush to change them if they sound like those, they were pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezial
i have this (which doesnt resemble a 2550 now) its a 2550 with a tonezone (bridge) blue velvet and a breed. its done in pearlesent green and sounds awsome the neck on this is the thinner one , not like the specs now'
Hey, not bad! Who did the paintwork? You should put some green Dimarzio's in it and it'd look even better.

Thanks all for your replies.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:25 PM

Great neck on the 2550, best neck i have ever played on infact. The edge pro trem stays in tune very well but i have never compared it to the original edge or lo pro. The stock DiMarzio/IBZ pickups are ok but they could be better. Great guitar overall though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezial

Ibanez should do more things like that to appeal to fender players. That same guitar in a pearl blue, or sparkle blue would be rather sexy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Green Dimarzio's and a black pickguard would make it 100% better.

Tags
black pickguard , david mccarroll , edge pro bridge , edge pro trem , edge trem , green dimarzio , locking stud , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode