Quality of Ibanez RG470AHZ-NTF - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quality of Ibanez RG470AHZ-NTF

Hi, guys! It's actually my first post here, so, don't blame me for this question.

I am thinking about buying RG470AHZ in natural finish, because I like the color very much, like the sound, like the fretboard, but the only question worries me: what is the quality of it if it's made in Indonesia? I've heard, that it's easy to get bad quality from that country, especially, if count that they produce over 30 brands there..What things do I have to check and what to pay attention to before I buy it?

I am mainly going to play hardcore, post-hardcore and some other metal staff, also, I am going to use a lot of clean sound..I checked couple of videos and it sounds pretty sweet.

And last one - can you suggest some alternatives? Most important is natural finish body and suitable for metal specs.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I play for about a year and have some skills, so, I am thinking about more serious guitar that will last and suite at least 2 years.

Last edited by whitetree; 03-18-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM

Re: Quality of Ibanez RG470AHZ-NTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetree View Post

I am thinking about buying RG470AHZ in natural finish, because I like the color very much, like the sound, like the fretboard, but the only question worries me: what is the quality of it if it's made in Indonesia?
I had one, and for $479.00, you can't beat it. However, if you play a lot of distortion solos in the neck pickup (like I do), I suggest you swap that horrible INF for a Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. The INF bridge and middle pickups sound decent IMO, but then again, I hardly use them unless in conjunction with each other.

As for its playability, the action is decent after bridge and truss-rod adjustments - if needed. As for its sound; like I said previously, it's a great guitar for its price, but compared to a Prestige or Premium, the tone is a little on the thin side. In my opinion, anything lower than a Premium is a substantial compromise for the serious working professional.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTranslator View Post
I had one, and for $479.00, you can't beat it. However, if you play a lot of distortion solos in the neck pickup (like I do), I suggest you swap that horrible INF for a Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. The INF bridge and middle pickups sound decent IMO, but then again, I hardly use them unless in conjunction with each other.

As for its playability, the action is decent after bridge and truss-rod adjustments - if needed. As for its sound; like I said previously, it's a great guitar for its price, but compared to a Prestige or Premium, the tone is a little on the thin side. In my opinion, anything lower than a Premium is a substantial compromise for the serious working professional.
Thanks for reply!
Yeah, many people told, that pick-ups, that come with this guitar are not the best, so I think I'll probably change them, if I buy this guitar. But what about holding a tuning? Does it really handles tremolo and stays in tune?

What prestige or premium you can advice, btw?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 AM

I have an Indonesia built RG 420FB which is very similar to the 470 Nat finish line. As others have said, I had to change out the sub-par stock pickups, but other than that its been a great guitar! I would say the biggest concern with these is the consistency... I would NOT recommend buying one you haven't played in person. Based on playing them in stores there are huge differences from one example to the next, even on the exact same model. But for the price, if you find one that plays nice (to your feel) go for it! Definitely plan on swapping pups though. I put a DiMarzio EVO in the bridge & an SD Pearly Gates in the neck, plus I also added an FU brass Big block to the Edge III trem... This thing is a tone monster now and has become my standard Drop-D axe. Tuning stability has been very good (even better than my Jems to be honest).

Best of luck man!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
I have an Indonesia built RG 420FB which is very similar to the 470 Nat finish line. As others have said, I had to change out the sub-par stock pickups, but other than that its been a great guitar! I would say the biggest concern with these is the consistency... I would NOT recommend buying one you haven't played in person. Based on playing them in stores there are huge differences from one example to the next, even on the exact same model. But for the price, if you find one that plays nice (to your feel) go for it! Definitely plan on swapping pups though. I put a DiMarzio EVO in the bridge & an SD Pearly Gates in the neck, plus I also added an FU brass Big block to the Edge III trem... This thing is a tone monster now and has become my standard Drop-D axe. Tuning stability has been very good (even better than my Jems to be honest).

Best of luck man!
Thanks for this, mate! I haven't actually touched and played this guitar, but I think thickness of it will be okay after strat. I will probably install Dimebucker by Seymour and hope it will sound good
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for reply!
Yeah, many people told, that pick-ups, that come with this guitar are not the best, so I think I'll probably change them, if I buy this guitar. But what about holding a tuning? Does it really handles tremolo and stays in tune?

What prestige or premium you can advice, btw?
For the best quality for your money, I recommend either the RG1570 Prestige, or the RG!XXV Premium. The 1570 Prestige is slightly over a grand, and the 1XXV Premium is slightly under a grand. They both have lighting fast necks and can be set with extremely low action with very minimal fret-buzz - if any. The stock pickups on those models are fairly good as well, although an upgrade wouldn't hurt. As for the tremolo; sorry, I don't use it that much, so I can't give you an accurate account of its quality. I'm primarily into the Al Di Meola/John McLaughlin style of playing, and tremolo work is very rare in that style, although I saw Di Meola using the tremolo in "Race with the Devil on Spanish Highway" on Youtube. Perhaps this was inspired by Vai's solo in the remake version

Last edited by TheTranslator; 03-19-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Typos
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
For the best quality for your money, I recommend either the RG1570 Prestige, or the RG!XXV Premium. The 1570 Prestige is slightly over a grand, and the 1XXV Premium is slightly under a grand. They both have lighting fast necks and can be set with extremely low action with very minimal fret-buzz - if any. The stock pickups on those models are fairly good as well, although an upgrade wouldn't hurt. As for the tremolo; sorry, I don't use it that much, so I can't give you an accurate account of its quality. I'm primarily into the Al Di Meola/John McLaughlin style of playing, and tremolo work is very rare in that style, although I saw Di Meola using the tremolo in "Race with the Devil on Spanish Highway" on Youtube. Perhaps this was inspired by Vai's solo in the remake version
Thanks for these suggestions mate, but I am looking for Natural color, this is what I am mainly aiming for Btw, forgot to ask about fret-buzz of rg470, maybe someone familiar with it?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for these suggestions mate, but I am looking for Natural color, this is what I am mainly aiming for Btw, forgot to ask about fret-buzz of rg470, maybe someone familiar with it?
Since you're exclusively searching for Natural color, there's not very many options in the RG line that I know of, other than the 470/471 models. The S770PB is the only other option I can think of that comes in a Natural wood finish, if you don't mind a slimmer body-type, and yes, it comes equipped with INF pickups, so you'll have to change them. To answer your question about fret-buzz on the RG470; it's noticeable in very low action, but not enough to compromise your overall sound. The S770PB, which I've also owned, has way better action than the 470, but will run you $300 more. There's the EGEN8 that's Natural finish and also sells for $799, but the neck doesn't have the lighting-fast feel as do other Ibanez guitars in that price range in my opinion, although it sounds great, and is LOADED with tonal options

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S770PB
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-EGEN8

I suggest browsing through the Ibanez website for more detailed info:

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/home

Last edited by TheTranslator; 03-19-2012 at 11:50 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Since you're exclusively searching for Natural color, there's not very many options in the RG line that I know of, other than the 470/471 models. The S770PB is the only other option I can think of that comes in a Natural wood finish, if you don't mind a slimmer body-type, and yes, it comes equipped with INF pickups, so you'll have to change them. To answer your question about fret-buzz on the RG470; it's noticeable in very low action, but not enough to compromise your overall sound. The S770PB, which I've also owned, has way better action than the 470, but will run you $300 more. There's the EGEN8 that's Natural finish and also sells for $799, but the neck doesn't have the lighting-fast feel as do other Ibanez guitars in that price range in my opinion, although it sounds great, and is LOADED with tonal options
Hey man, thanks for sharing this! Actually, Ibanez website became already a homepage for me
I now have a choice between rg470 and egen8, which is the selection of different prices and different sound also...If someone has egen8 here and played RG series, or any series, that has flat fretboard - how does it differs? I play strat and hate when the length between first and fours fingers is 5 frets, for example..
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
If someone has egen8 here and played RG series, or any series, that has flat fretboard - how does it differs?
The EGEN8 is a great sounding guitar (much better than the RG470) that's loaded with many tonal options, but I figured out why it doesn't have the SUPER-FAST feel of the Prestige, Premium, or even the RG470AHZ-NTF = it has a slightly rounded fretboard like a Gibson, but not quite to the extreme as a Fender

When I held the EGEN8 and RG920QM Premium to eye level, I noticed how flat the Premium was in comparison to the EGEN8. However, the EGEN8 is mahogany, and has more tones than the Premium and Prestige. If you're not extremely fussy about playability, I'd suggest you splurge and snag the EGEN8
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 AM

Hell for $479 I'll sand the finish off my MIJ RG470 with EVO's in the neck and bridge and sell it to you
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM

Reviews: 4

Get the RG470AH and swap out the pickups. Ash body for RGs are rare and the Edge zero II tremolo are really decent stuff. Fret buzz wise, nothing a fret leveling cannot solve. LOL.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 PM

I picked up a clean MIJ RG470 with Evos and an Ibby case for $220. Depending on where you live you can beat the $479 by a substantial margin, but I'm in California and Ibbys of almost every type are common and easy to be had inexpensively if you know where to look.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
Get the RG470AH and swap out the pickups. Ash body for RGs are rare and the Edge zero II tremolo are really decent stuff. Fret buzz wise, nothing a fret leveling cannot solve. LOL.
Hey, thanks for answer. What do you mean by wise?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Hey, thanks for answer. What do you mean by wise?
"Wise" means in regards to fret buzz, or whatever the subject is.

Example:

Speed-wise, John (Dr Hot Licks) Taylor is highly revered as the worlds fastest guitarists (well, in one particular song), but whether he can display that speed in an acoustic setting with the likes of John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Bireli Langrene, Paco De Lucia, et.al, and over all those complex chord changes, is an entirely different matter

Tags
470 , ahz , ntf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode