Quality of Jackson and ESP - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quality of Jackson and ESP

I know Jackson and ESP has a good reputation, especially back in the 80's and 90's these companies would've been very popular. Is there reputation for quality staying consistant or is it heading downhill (In other words, are older models better than new models)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:53 PM

Re: Quality of Jackson and ESP

Jackson is still Jackson. Even though A LOT of people continually believe that the older Pre-Fender, the current Jackson stuff is actually VERY consistant as compared to some of the 90's Jacksons when Akia owned them. The USA Jacksons have always been pretty consistant, but I'd probably go with a current one from Jackson just because most of the guys who work at the Jackson factory have been there for about 10 years or more, and their work doesn't get worse over time.

ESP has always been consistant in my book. Thier quality isn't going downhill either so choosing a Jackson or an ESP is still a good choice. Interesting thing is, back 10-15+ years ago, ESP wanted real distributors in the US to market thier stuff but lost the market to Ibanez becasue they failed to establish a US point of presence and endorsement. Now, they're one of the hottest products out there.

My advice here is to just get a USA made Jackson or Jap made ESP regardless of the time period it was made in. (I do find that the newer ones out are a little better constructed as both companies have refined thier craft)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 AM

I've always think of jackson and esp as a metal guitar....
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
Jackson is still Jackson. Even though A LOT of people continually believe that the older Pre-Fender, the current Jackson stuff is actually VERY consistant as compared to some of the 90's Jacksons when Akia owned them.
I have not played to many of the newer Jacksons, but the two best and easily the worst Jacksons that I have played have all been pretty new. The rest of them may be consistent though because I've only played maybe a dozen or so.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
I've always think of jackson and esp as a metal guitar....
They look fairly metal, even the more classic shapes like the soloist look semi metal. Typically their stock pups need a lot of gain on them too. Mahogany bodies tend to be best for metal, but with a maple top they can be metal or clean with the proper pickups and player.... and a strat can also be metal as well!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 01:01 AM

I really like the ESP Horizons they look really nice
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 01:02 AM

Yeah or the Jackson soloists. The roughly strat shaped guitars are usually the most comfortable
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
and a strat can also be metal as well!
yes a strat can play metal too... but you need to boost em if they are all single coils
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 01:56 AM

I have a Eclipse II and its a fantastic guitar
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:43 AM

Reviews: 7

I Have an MH-1000 which is a really really nice Ltd, but I find thier paint jobs aren't as thick as Ibanez's. I can see through to the wood grain in some spots, but thats why I'm refinishing it.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 11:06 AM

I love Jacksons. They are some sweet, easy playing guitars. I like lots and lots of guitars, though
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
I have not played to many of the newer Jacksons, but the two best and easily the worst Jacksons that I have played have all been pretty new. The rest of them may be consistent though because I've only played maybe a dozen or so.
It all depends on which guitars you play really. If you play the cheap low end models(usually the ones made in India) they're pretty bad. Thier Japanese made ones are pretty darn good for the money and thier US models have always been [email protected]$$. Like most companies, it's best to avoid models at the bottom of the pit.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:00 PM

New Jacksons are probably THE BEST in terms of quality - in my eyes at least. They generally wipe the floor with almost anything else out there. But I am talking about that proper USA made Jacksons, not the crappy Korean models. ESP are very good too, and would probably come 2nd on my list.

As much as I love Ibanez - the higher-end models like the JEM's dont come close to USA Jacksons in terms of quality. But thats just my 2p. JCustoms do however - so it all depends!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 01:26 PM

I love Jacksons, as I've said just before But Jackson doesn't make a bolt on that blows a Jem away. If you compare the Soloist to the Jem, it's all down to personal taste and whether you prefer bolts or neck throughs (you need a few of both, really ) I don't think Ibanez makes a neck through that can touch a good Soloist either. You might get a bit better than a Jem by paying a lot more money to some boutique company, but the 7VWH really is just about as good as modern bolt ons get, IMHO. It is simply a great, great guitar. Some people like the J Customs more, as there is certainly more diversity in the J Custom line, but even then it's still mostly a matter of taste.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
It all depends on which guitars you play really. If you play the cheap low end models(usually the ones made in India) they're pretty bad. Thier Japanese made ones are pretty darn good for the money and thier US models have always been [email protected]$$. Like most companies, it's best to avoid models at the bottom of the pit.
I am talking only about the US models only here. That one was just way below average.

Tags
jackson soloist , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode