Quality of Jackson Stars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quality of Jackson Stars?

Just wondering if anyone out there has played/owned a Jackson Stars guitar?

Also wondering how they compare quality and pricewise against other Jacksons i.e the Pro series, MG series, and the USA Select series.

I'm planning on buying a new guitar soon, so I'm keen to suss out all the options. I'm thinking about a high quality (US?) Jackson, a 2nd hand MIJ S Prestige or a new J-Custom.

What do YOU think?

As always, any info is most appreciated.

Rock on!

EDIT* Sorry folks, i've put this in the wrong spot. Can an admin move it for me? Thanks *EDIT

Last edited by HeavyMetal4Ever; 07-24-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: in wrong spot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Re: Quality of Jackson Stars?

I interviewed Metal Mike from Halford recently and he'd just been to Japan, where he visited the Japanese Jackson offices. He said that due to some kind of trademark issue, Jackson is called Jackson Star in Japan. So it's not a 'series,' as such, it's just the brand name in Japan.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

So they share the same specs as the MG and Pro series?

I looked at a few pictures and they seem to offer different options than the ones on the MG's and the Pro's, but I could be wrong.

Rock on!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 PM

how do you get J-Custom's (stupid question probably)?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 AM

The way I read it, these are not "official" Jackson products, even though they ARE made by the same factory that makes the imported (to the USA and anywhere else but the Japans) Jacksons. Considering how weak the dollar is, I'm thinking the price wouldn't be that great anymore.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
The way I read it, these are not "official" Jackson products, even though they ARE made by the same factory that makes the imported (to the USA and anywhere else but the Japans) Jacksons. Considering how weak the dollar is, I'm thinking the price wouldn't be that great anymore.

Wrong. These are Jacksons. Some other company holds the name Jackson in Japan so they had to put Stars behind it. But make no mistake about it, they are Jacksons...

The quality is on line with the USA made ones. Maybe a little behind but not much. They are made for the Japan market, not the US. A friend of mine bought one when in Japan. It got damaged here in the US so he sent it to Jackson to repair, problem with the tip of the headstock. When they refinished it, they took off the Jackson Stars logo and replaced it with a regular Jackson logo. Boy was he pissed...

Same thing with Grover Jackson. For the Japanese market only. But the Stars line is further up the food chain than Grover Jackson...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks for clarifying the name thing. But if they are almost USA quality, than why aren't the Jackson imports the same quality then? If an import Jackson and a Jackson Star are made on the same production line, what causes a change in quality?

I cannot find anything on the Japanese Grover Jackson models, other than a headstock pic.

Last edited by Randy G; 08-01-2007 at 05:28 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 PM

Randy,
First of all, your posting on the wrong website. Maybe try www.jcfonline.com. You will find more info there...

Second, the difference in quality is like the difference in quality between a RG550 and a Jem. Both made in the same factory, but differ quality wise. More time and better parts go into the Stars then the Jackson Imports. But don't get me wrong, alot of the MIJ Jacksons are solid instruments...

I'll help you out. Here are pics of my Grover Jackson once owned by a "famous" friend of mine. He gave it to me...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post
I'll help you out. Here are pics of my Grover Jackson once owned by a "famous" friend of mine. He gave it to me...
C'mon, you can't say that and then not tell us who gave it to you!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:29 PM

Petie,
It's no secret. It was owned by James Root of Slipknot/Stone Sour. He used it on Slipknots first TV appearance on Conan O'Brien back in 99/2000 when they played "Wait and Bleed". I don't know if that performance is still on youtube but if it is, check it out. You'll see this Grover Jackson...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 PM

easy: SLIPKNOT's jim.
where do I claim my cookie?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 PM

Axayacatl,
Your a minute too late. 2 minutes earlier and you would have won said Grover Jackson...

Kidding. You wouldn't have won it. But I would have been impressed...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=baewDJHf1lA

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:00 AM

thanks scott...

Do I get the neck pickup as a consolation prize?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axayacatl View Post
thanks scott...

Do I get the neck pickup as a consolation prize?
HAHA! I think the neck pickup went into a garbage can in Madrid, Spain...

Kidding. I have no clue where the neck pickup went. Probably in his Tech's box somewhere...

Tags
grover jackson , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode