Quality of Korean Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quality of Korean Ibanez

I've recently heard some good reviews on these guitars. Also, I own a RGTHRG2 which is basically a RGT42 with Giger graphic and an EPII. After a setup (only a little tweaking actually) it definitively has a lot better feel than MII. Also, it feels nicer than my friends Jackson KVX (MIJ) and is almost, if not equal to MIJ Ibanez (after a proper setup of course). I'm not sure if there is a thread about recent Korean quality, so there you go! Does anyone else think as high about the MIK Ibanez or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 06:23 PM

Re: Quality of Korean Ibanez

they are great. i own a rg370dx and it plays just as good as some of th mij i have seen. the only thing that i would change is the pickups. as soon as i put some paf pros in mine it sounded just as good as my 1990 rg550. great for what they cost.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 21

RG370's are made in Indonesia.
I played a RGT42 today. Very nice! Still, you're playing a neck-thru guitar, which is going to have better resonance anyway. I don't think Korean quality is all-around bad; it's just hit-or-miss. You can get lucky and get a great guitar, like I did with my JS100 back in the day. I've heard stories from people who were not so lucky.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess there are some guitars out there that are being sold like an "unfinished" product, if you get what I mean. However, I believe MIKs have greatly improven from El Cheapos.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
RG370's are made in Indonesia.
I played a RGT42 today. Very nice! Still, you're playing a neck-thru guitar, which is going to have better resonance anyway. I don't think Korean quality is all-around bad; it's just hit-or-miss. You can get lucky and get a great guitar, like I did with my JS100 back in the day. I've heard stories from people who were not so lucky.
nope its korea says so on my headstock and on most websites.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Reviews: 25

I have the exact same giger guitar and while they are nice to play, they still dont come close to an RG550, and after buying a Jcustom, the giger guitar is my least favourite. The floating trem is horrible, and when you open the back cavity you can see the wood used and its like compressed chipboard or something.

When i bought this guitar I was wowed by the graphics the abalone, and the overall look. But the more I Play my JCustom, I can certainly feel the difference.

Don't get me wrong the giger is nice and I recorded some successfull solos for my new album, but its just not as good.

If there was no real build quality difference, then all the ibanez range would be in the same price bracket. The korean made ibanez is for the budget musician who wants looks and enough quality to be played well.

but there is a difference !!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Reviews: 5

I have a RG370dx made in korea too

there are some things I dont like but I do like the pickups, as for stock pick ups they aint that bad

but the things I noticed were that there were 6 holes for the truss rod cover, they ****ed up the first time and tried again and the fret ends kinda jab out more than usual so if you slide around the neck you can feel the frets are kinda pointy
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild247 View Post
I have a RG370dx made in korea too

there are some things I dont like but I do like the pickups, as for stock pick ups they aint that bad

but the things I noticed were that there were 6 holes for the truss rod cover, they ****ed up the first time and tried again and the fret ends kinda jab out more than usual so if you slide around the neck you can feel the frets are kinda pointy
Yes I also noticed the ends of the frets on my giger are kinda sharp and can cut me when i slide around. Its all about the little details, that take more time to build a guitar, more time equals higher price in the sale price.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:04 AM

This is me playing my Korean S7320 from 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDjaPJDiByA

And this is me playing my Japanese RG570 from 1995: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABV_XW_SguE

While they're completely different guitars, I think in terms of playability, tone and overall quality, it's pretty much a tie (no problems with fretwork or anything). Both have very good pickups, both have Wizard II necks that play very nicely, and they have tons of natural sustain, and a nice, well-defined tone in general.

So perhaps I got lucky with my Korean Ibanez, but I think it's a fantastic guitar, that easily matches much more expensive guitars (like my own RG).
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:21 AM

Out of the 4 guitars I own the korean giger is by far the worst and hardest to play. Thats just a fact of my collection. The JCustom is like butter to play.

and no way is my giger as good as the RG 550. your just plain wrong, they are miles apart...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Reviews: 2

The fretwork on my RG350dx is horrible (Indonesia). There were sharp fret edges, and I actually got daring enough to file them smoothly, which turned out great. But I still can't get low action because of uneven frets. I still get some buzz on the 7th fret of the high e and more minor (but annoying) buzz in other areas.

Is this common on Korean models too?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:17 PM

my RG350DX(white) is much better then my RG550EX, and very near my RG 2550 prestige, and all three are stock. INF pickups are way better then V pickups in RG550 in sustain clarity and BIG sound, and before RG350 I thought basswood guitars can't have bassy sound.
I am still wondering how RG 350 can be that good. And it is not even Korean, it is Inonesian?
peromucho7 is online  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:51 PM

i think that MIK guitars have a lot of potential, and a lot of them represent a very bang/buck ratio. almost invariably on MIK guitars i end up doing a lot of fretwork to get them even, comfortable, and smooth as well as other modifications to maximize their playability (i.e. rounding off the "shoulder" on some of the more square-ish wizII's.) i also usually end up putting in an edge or lopro trem and new pickups.

since i can and do perform my own fretwork, the additional cost isn't really an issue and i'd be replacing the pickups anyway, MIJ or MIK. buying a new trem is a bit of a bite, but all (both) of the lower-end guitars that i have just "felt" like good pieces of timber in my hands, and i look at the additional cost and work as simply necessary mods that serve to make the guitar work for me.

in terms of fit, finish, and QC the MIK stuff just isn't at the level that the MIJ guitars are at IMHO. the truth of the matter is there are differing price points for guitars that are meant to sell to differing types of players and at the end of the day, profit is what causes decisions to be made. there is a reason why Japanese RG's cost more, and it's more than just the sum cost of the raw materials.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 AM

My 2 cents only. The Korean guitars seem to be less consistent in quality with a twist. I had an RGT42FM which was very nicely built so I upgraded the Edge Pro II for a new Edge Pro(drop in replacement) and installed a Tone Zone and PAF Pro and had a killer guitar. While working on it I noticed one oddity. Almost all the Korean RG models have a jack plate while the Jap RG's use a thick panel jack and have the little cover on the back behind the jack. Well, the RGT42FM has the Jap style setup which made me wonder, are some bodies made in Japan and shipped to the Korean factory for finish? Just something that makes me go "HMMMM".

Tags
basswood guitar , basswood guitars , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , inf pickups , jack plate , killer guitar , korean guitar , local guitar center , lopro trem , mahogany body , mij guitars , paf pro , paf pros , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode