Quality Tele under $300? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quality Tele under $300?

i'm looking for a better than average tele(new, used; doesn't matter). I've got $300 to work with so if you are suggesting swapping pickups, keep the price limit in mind. i really don't need anything spectacular, just looking for that twang preferably with a maple neck. i've looked on the bay for MIM fenders but have no idea if they are even any good. i played some g&l tribute models at work but they're just a bit over the budget. any ideas are very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 07:49 AM

Re: Quality Tele under $300?

The MIM teles are not bad. The 50's classic MIM tele is really nice nut I'm not sure if you could find a used one for $300.00.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 08:55 AM

i'd suggest a MIM fender. i've had a couple which i thought were great. they can be a bit hit-or-miss, though, and if you're going second-hand, you'd be best looking for something made after 2000.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 AM

Try to get your hands on a mid eighties MIJ Squier Tele. Very high quality and tone, I think they are far ahead any current guitar that Fender USA produces.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

cool, thanks. lately, i've been looking to get away from all the shred stuff and decided to take up lessons with the top blues/country guitarist in the area, so i figured a tele would be "needed"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 09:11 PM

i miss my tele. there's something about playing such a damned simple guitar.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 12:03 PM

You know a Mexican made Fender Tele wouldn't be that bad. I acquired my Mex Fender Strat for just a little over $299.99. A friend of mine just picked up a Highway 1 Tele for $600.00.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

what do you think about these squier affinity series teles and then swapping out pickups and maybe the tuners(i hear they kinda stink)? that would be in my budget. any opinions on that
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 02:00 PM

The Highway One Teles are really nice. Finding a 'better than average' quality guitar for under 300 isn't always easy. But if you can find a used Highway 1, I'd go for that as my first choice. The necks are great and the pickups sound good through a good amp.

I also don't think there are many mid eighties Japanese Squier Teles, if any at all. None with the collectable JV serial numbers, anyway. If you were to somehow stumble onto one, it would likely be considerably more than 300. The Strats go in the 7-800 dollar range now. Those JV Squires are great for the money, and better than a lot of the US made mid eighties guitars but they are not better than anything coming out of the US today, not by a long shot. Fender is definitely back to making very high quality stuff if you're willing to pay for it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6600
what do you think about these squier affinity series teles and then swapping out pickups and maybe the tuners (i hear they kinda stink)? that would be in my budget. any opinions on that
a pal of mine bought one or two of those affinity jobbies, pretty much as a joke. one of them was made in china or indonesia and was absolute rubbish. the body was thinner than a regular tele, the metal hardware was of a lesser gauge, neck finish was rough, etc.

if you're budget is down around that point, i'd be looking for an e-bay'ed mexican fender, for sure.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 04:42 PM

i would go with the highway 1, in my opinion their far better than the standard, and if u can find them used that can be quite the deal...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
a pal of mine bought one or two of those affinity jobbies, pretty much as a joke. one of them was made in china or indonesia and was absolute rubbish. the body was thinner than a regular tele, the metal hardware was of a lesser gauge, neck finish was rough, etc.

if you're budget is down around that point, i'd be looking for an e-bay'ed mexican fender, for sure.
thats good to know. i'll scratch that one off the list
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
You know a Mexican made Fender Tele wouldn't be that bad.
go with the flo-banez. i love my mexican tele to bits, and allthough i also own a gibson soundwood studio, the tele is my no. 1 axe. (new)nothing beats the simplicity, quality and value of a mexican tele. thats my 20 pence.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 08:35 PM

It may not be a pure telecaster, but i would seriously check out the Peavey guitars. I can't remeber the model name, but i saw a guy demo'ing a singlecut guitar that looked very much like a Telecaster at the London guitar show.

Some good parts about it:
Binding, quilted maple top on some models, A piezo (this impressed me considering the price!), versatile (can do your telecaster duties aswell as other things).

Don't get me wrong, i'm not plugging this guitar, but i've seen them go for £299 brand new if you can stretch to it, because they look seriously worth it

C.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

well, i've drifted towards a strat as opposed to the tele. any opinions on the G&L tribute series? i've played a few at work and they seem well built, especially for the price. just curious if anyone has had a bad experience as i'm really close to buying a legacy (swamp ash body and maple fingerboard and USA pickups )

Tags
fender strat , maple fingerboard , maple neck , neck finish , quilted maple , swamp ash , swamp ash body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode