Question on the 20th Anniversary RG550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Question on the 20th Anniversary RG550

I have a few questions on the anniversary RG.

First, I'm getting strange feelings about how Ibanez is handling the distribution of these guitars and how many are really available. I also wonder what the demand really is.

The reason I wonder is because I saw the guitar available on Sam Ash's website last night. I thought it was odd for a guitar in such limited production to be on a website. So, I called them today and the service rep said they had FORTY to FIFTY guitars coming. If only 400 guitars are coming to the US then how does Sam Ash have around 10% of them? That number seems absurd.

Struck me as odd.

The guitar is really a nostalgia thing for me. I would love to have one but I'll be honest, I'm a bit interested in buying one to eventually sell it at a profit. My impression was the demand was very high. Now I'm not so sure. Am I mistaken in believing this is a guitar that will increase in value? I know it's hard to predict but I'm just curious what people's opinions are.

I've already placed an order with Sam Ash but I also have my name on a list at my local shop. I'm considering canceling the Sam Ash order.

In conclusion, I'm wondering what people's opinions are on the future value of this guitar. Will it go up? Is the demand all hype?

Please share your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Question on the 20th Anniversary RG550

As for the value, no I don't think it will go up. It's not that limited because many people asked for it and they wouldn't just release 500 or so.
The Sam Ash thing... I remember seeing a lot of limited editions on their website so it's no surprise to me. They were the only online store to carry one of the 2006 limited editions. I can't remember which number it was, but it was the rgt220 which was soaked in IMO a bad brown colour
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Dee

Yes, I would say it'll go up in value, but how much by is anyone's guess. I do think the demand is there, but what puts many people off is knowing they can find a used 550 on the Bay or wherever for much less money.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Ash (with more than a few retail location names) is a pretty huge entity these days alongside GC. I would be pretty surprised if they didnt have at least 10% of the allotment in the US. The current guitar purchasing agent is very street saavy when it comes to guitars, I talked with him almost daily back on 48th street.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Okay, that makes sense then that Ash has so many of the guitars.

Still the demand doesn't really seem to be there. Everyone was saying how you should place your orders early because these things are going to fly but I've been able to secure two guitars in DY with no problem. The owner of my local shop did not indicate any high demand and neither did the rep at Sam Ash.

So far the "Get it now or you'll never get one!" attitude seems like a bunch of hype in the US. I realize things are different in other countries.

I just can't decide if I should get one or not. Don't really need another guitar of this type although I do love it and it would be fun. But I was hoping to have a little fun and then be able to sell it for at least what I paid for it.

Thanks for your input, everyone!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:30 PM

By the way...1200 are coming to the US...

Unless you're speaking strictly of one specific color.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepus View Post

So far the "Get it now or you'll never get one!" attitude seems like a bunch of hype in the US. I realize things are different in other countries.
I think you hit the nail on the head man. It's definitely different outside the US. The UK is getting very few of these 550's, so it's no surprise if the demand is greater over here. I forget which country it is (somewhere like Denmark) who are getting only 8. One thing's for sure, if I was buying mine in the UK I wouldn't be happy about paying the £849 list price, I'd most likely not bother at all. The only reason I ordered one from the USA is because I can save a couple of hundred on the price. It actually works out just a little more than what I paid for my original 1987 RG550 20 years ago, and that didn't include a case or any of the accessories.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 02:02 AM

Lepus, you and I are on the same page. Recently, I've been debating whether I got caught up in the hype surrounding this guitar and made a rash decision to buy an RG550MXX. But I thought about it and I realized that it's okay to be excited about this guitar. I'm not a collector or speculator. I'll play it and enjoy it. You said,

"Don't really need another guitar of this type although I do love it and it would be fun."

Which is exactly how I feel about it. I'm a little nostalgic about it, too. I was fifteen when these came out and it makes me feel like that again to be excited about a guitar.

Anyway, I think in this case, supply and demand are going to match pretty well. I don't think these MUST be pre-ordered one to get one, but I don't think they'll last very long in the shops.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 02:07 AM

Im sure location plays alot into it, for example I'm sure all the Cubs fans in Wrigleyville will hurry to buy a Red one, that matches the heels they wear when they go to the Man Hole, but outside of boys town, they may not sell as well.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:31 PM

Question, is the back of the neck unfinished? I am really thinking about picking one of these up, but I do so like the unfinished neck on my JEM and really don't want to buy it if it is not the same.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 05:50 PM

why don;t you sand it yourself?i did it with many guitars...no problem...good luck!!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoD View Post
Question, is the back of the neck unfinished? I am really thinking about picking one of these up, but I do so like the unfinished neck on my JEM and really don't want to buy it if it is not the same.
No, there should be a finish on it, but it's very nice, satin smooth. I like the RG550 neck as it comes, as long as it's kept clean it shouldn't go all shiny and crap.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Maybe I'm using the wrong term then...are the JEM necks unfinished? I have a 777VBK from 1990, I just don't know if it would be called finished or unfinished. Satin finish maybe?

Last edited by TokyoD; 02-12-2007 at 07:44 PM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 PM

no they are not unfinished
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 PM

I got one because it has the specs/neck and bridge that I want/have been looking for.
It is (DY) one of my favorite colors.
I plan on playing the crap out of it! lol..
I didn't get it for collectibility.. I got it because I have a hard time finding an RG in this color with that bridge in great condition.

Tags
jem neck , maple fret , maple fretboard , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode