question about 90's ibanez's - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

question about 90's ibanez's

hi, i read a lot of opinions saying that the 90's models are in a different league from what is sold by ibanez in the last years.
is it really true? in what is that difference reflected?
its hard for me to understand because basically the recipe is the same (i'm talking RG's), basswood body, floating tremolo, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.
i mean, how could it be that different?

the reason i'm asking is i have a 2006 korean RG370DX, and i like it, dont really need another guitar, but i saw some guy selling a 1995 mij RG450/550 (he's not sure what the model is, but i have pictures and can't upload them because of low message count) that needs some love for really cheap and i'm thinking about going for it, seems a really good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 05:42 AM

Re: question about 90's ibanez's

oh, If you are talking about 2006 RG370DX vs '90 MIJ RG 550, it's no contest.

but if you are talking about early '90 MIJ RG vs today MIJ prestige RG, it's only a matter of preference.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

can you elaborate? why it's no contest?
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 02:34 PM

A 370 has lower quality build and hardware essentially
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gania13 View Post
can you elaborate? why it's no contest?
I'll make it simple: The 370 is made in Indonesia. The attention to detail is lacking in a LOT of areas. An old 1993 RG550 neck was hand finished by Japanese luthiers and the attention to detail is MUCH higher.

Now that's not an indictment of all Indo Ibanezes (my 350 seems to be a diamond out of a pile of turds) but there is definitely a difference there.

Prestiges are VERY good guitars (I LOVE my RG2550 and it's my favorite Ibanez that I own) and at the price point, they can compete in quality against any other maker out there.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM

The people that work on guitars that come out of Japan have a high level of skill as luthiers.

The people in Indonesia, are probably a small percentage lluthiers and lots of other people just hired off the street with no training at all.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:17 AM

Its a hard thing to pin down since it has so much folkloric baggage and the guitar world is slightly less objectively-credible-fact driven than whats found in any given voo doo temple.

If you ask me, the high water for industrial guitars, ever, was MIJ from the late 70's into the 80's. They were absolutely making better stuff than we were at the time, but now that there's a bit of hindsight, a narrative is emerging that the period in Japanese guitar making may have represented some of the best stuff, ever, anywhere.

Like, some of the best Fender guitars ever made were from the MIJ period. This is quite the departure from when MIJ was considered the 2nd tier for people who couldn't afford MIA, when you'd see MIJ guitars with the "Made In Japan" gouged off the headstock. The difference is, unlike Cars where your 1986 Chevy Citation blew a transmission at 20K miles and threw a rod at 40K where your Honda Civic went to 200K without a hitch, guitars are judged by subjective factors that are often times motivated by lore and mythos more than objective reasons. Nation of origin became a consumer cue and it still remains that way, today.

Of course, thinking back on when MIJ was considered to be 'less' but now people realizing that in many cases, it was actually superior, it gives one pause when casting aside MIK or MII guitars based on nation of origin alone.

With that being said, with maybe a couple narrow exclusions, I think its very fair to say that there aren't many lower end Ibanez badged imports that can compete with the overall quality levels of any 'golden age' MIJ instrument. There are of course some brilliant guitars being made today that are as good as anything ever made and Korea doesn't want for much when it comes to making guitars. Its usually best to judge spec and quality first, rather than assume that nation of origin arbitrates quality level. MIJ in the 80's turned that theory upside down.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Here is the guitar in question (from a post on another forum)
450 or 550?
Serial number and make have been removed from the back of the head stock. The OP could ask the seller to remove the neck an look for a stamp to see what the model is. Also not sure what the writing is on the pickups. It does not look like V1 V2 V7 or V8. Looks a bit like Ibz pickups.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Here is the guitar in question (from a post on another forum)
450 or 550?
Serial number and make have been removed from the back of the head stock. The OP could ask the seller to remove the neck an look for a stamp to see what the model is. Also not sure what the writing is on the pickups. It does not look like V1 V2 V7 or V8. Looks a bit like Ibz pickups.

I'm guessing it is a mid 90's Korean 450.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Those humbuckers are the ibanez made quantam pups. IIRC they were only on the 6xx series guitars. The middle is the ibanez made S1. The quantams were probably replacements for the v7 and v8.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Looks like an RG550 from between 87-91.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Looks like an RG550 from between 87-91.
Not with the "RG Series" stamp on the front of the headstock. That came later.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Those humbuckers are the ibanez made quantam pups. IIRC they were only on the 6xx series guitars. The middle is the ibanez made S1. The quantams were probably replacements for the v7 and v8.
QM1 and QM2.. hmm maybe so. I cant read them at all, though.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
Not with the "RG Series" stamp on the front of the headstock. That came later.

Later years have Lo Pro trems.

Could it be a parts guitar?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
QM1 and QM2.. hmm maybe so. I cant read them at all, though.
I have the QM pups on my RG685. Those are QM1 and QM2 pups, Ibanez's most underrated pups EVER.

Tags
ibanez , mij , rg450 , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode