question about gibsons - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

question about gibsons

is there a difference between the cheaper model les pauls(http://www.***************.com/srs7/...se_pid/517536/) and the more expensive models(http://www.gibson.com/Products/Gibso...sPaul/Classic/) if i were to replace the pickups?

replace the stars with Music ians Friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:17 PM

Re: question about gibsons

Those Les Paul Vintage models aren't too bad, but you'd be better off saving up an extra $200 or so and just pick up a used Les Paul Classic or something comparable. You'll get an overall better quality guitar that'll hold its value much better.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

what dimarzios do u think would be a good replacement?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 PM

PAF in the neck, Super Distortion in the bridge. A Classic LP replacement set
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:57 PM

I agree with Vaijem. Save up and get a used Classic or Standard. Better resale value and the Standard really is "the Standard" Les Paul...

Good DiMarzios? I have no idea, I have heard Super Distortions are good like Jim said. I tend to like EMG's in LP's, some find them too sterile. I've had great luck with the 496's and 498's in the older Standards and the new BB's in the newer LP's. I'd suggest you check out the pickups before you decide to swap them. You may like them. I did hear a LP with Semour Duncans in it, JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. The JB was nothing to write home about but the Jazz in the neck was heavenly...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:23 PM

I've always liked Duncans in Pauls. Never have really found a DiMarzio set that I really cared for. The closest I've gotten was with a FRED in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't the best I've heard.

I usually tend to put Duncans in Gibsons. The Jazz is probably my favorite neck pickup, and I've had good luck with the JB as a bridge pickup. I actually left the stock bridge pickup in the last LP custom that I had.

I've put a set of Duncan Alnico Pros in my last Standard and they sounded really nice too...kind of like REALLY nice sounding original PAFs. They just seemed to "breathe" well
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:55 PM

I would be cautious with standard Gibson models; they cut corners in some crucial areas of construction and the company can be a pain to work with if you need warranty work done. If you want a real Paul, save your money. You're better off with a high-end Gibson Custom paul.

As for the pickups, I would suggest Duncans over Dimarzio. Check out the Custom Custom and the Custom 5. These pickups sing with awesome tone, distorted or not.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:00 PM

If you get a Standard with Burstbuckers in it, leave 'em - they're fantastic pickups - best PU Gibson has come up with since the original PAFs - airy, breathy, not giant output but plenty - marvellous! actually toying with idea of putting a pair into a JEM - pity they don't come in blue or pink tho'!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

whats about the SG special faded? its the only sg that i like the looks of( i dont like the looks of the block inlays) and i would prefur a sg over a les paul.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Totally different instrument - totally different sound - the fadeds feel really nice, and SGs tend to have a nice warm crunchy tone - they usually come with the erm 490 whatevertheyares as standard - but again, live with the Gibson pickups for quite a while before you consider replacing them - every new SG I have picked up in the last three or four years is pretty poorly set up straight from Gibson - the nut is always too high on the treble strings, and the action usually needs to come down a touch.

If you DO decide to change the PUs, for goodness sake, keep the old ones - if you ever decide to sell the guitar (and the number of guitars I vowed I would NEVER sell is in double figures now - wonder where they all are?) put the original pickups back in - 90% of buyers, and 100% of shops want all original instruments!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:38 AM

Depends on which cheap LP you have. All mahogany bodies LOVE paf pro. Some LP aren't mahogany.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 PM

I support getting at least a Standard or a Classic. Some of the older Classics had missized frets on them etc.

I can't recommend pickups if I don't know what you are after. I had the Ceramic magnets in my Les Paul and they screamed something mean but they sucked clean like a typical high output pickup. I put in Gibson Burstbuckers (PAF reissues basically) and now it's pretty clean and sounds killer. The Burstbucker Pros in the standard also sound very nice.

Tags
block inlays , bridge pickup , les paul , les paul classic , les pauls , neck pickup , output pickup , paf pro , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode