Question about "Ibanez SZ520QM" - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Cool Question about "Ibanez SZ520QM"

Like many people, I have found the SZ520QM to be unique guitar with unique tones and feel. But like many, when we look for a more, I'll call it "main stream" sound (like a Gibson RG or even a Fender anything) we find the tonal range to be limited. Sustain is absolutely great. But the tone range when on the full neck setting and middle toggle (series two inner coils), if the tone pot is turned down (from about 5/6 to 0), the tone gets muddy, harmonics are weak, mids disappear. While this may sound like I don't like this guitar...quite the contrary. With the tone pot 6-10, both vols pots set midway or better, especially on the bridge pickup...this guitar rocks. I just think it can do more than Ibanez put into it. As such, I'm looking a different modifications. I'd like you opinions:
1) Rewire the 2 vol/1 tone pots to a 1 master vol/2 tone. It seems to me that if a player could dial in the tones better between the two humbuckers, some of these issues could be resolved.
2) Replace the volume pot to an audio taper (Bourn or CTS) to give it more control...even control over the volume. The stock pots must be linear as they jump in volume at first then produce not much change.
3) Upgrade the two new tone pots to Stellartone Tonestylers. If you have not heard of these...check out the web site. In short, they are a 12 position tone pot...each position has its own capacitor thereby doing a much better job at keeping the mids and highs when the tone pot is rolled down.
4) I'd like to replace the 3-way toggle to a 5-way....but can't find one that will fit the original hole. I don't want to cut the body to fit a "fender" like 5-way. The 5-way would give two additional settings: One being a parallel setting with the two inner coils (would be like two single coils instead of humbuckers) and the other parallel with the two outer coils.
The other three set are full neck, full bridge, and series middle coils (stock).
5) Finally, I'm thinking of changing the pickups to Seymore/Duncans Jazz pickup for the neck and (I think) SH4's for the bridge. Popular opinion seems to indicate that they are a good match.

I don't know if I need to do all the above, some of the above...I'm looking for opinions. Thanks in advance for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Question about "Ibanez SZ520QM"

You might want to move this thread to the proper section for more visibility--pickups and wiring........

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 20

I have EMG's in my SZ, I use it as my main guitar in my metal band. It's personal preference, but I would say change your pickups first and then see if you feel anything else is necessary. I would suggest a push-pull pot coil tap to solve the 5-way switch problem, but I don't know if that'll allow you to use the inner coils and outer coils of both pickups in two positions with that setup. I've never experienced those tone pots you mentioned I'm afraid...
Hope this helps though
Thanks
Regards
Jon
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM

I'd start with pickups, simply because that's how almost everyone does with a stock guitar, then indeed a 5-way because of the flexibility, then the eq, then those tonestylers.... damn those things seem like gold (priced as well)

Tags
ric's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode