Question about the S - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
MFB

Question about the S

So, I thought I was sold on the JS2000 but I decided to expand my horizons and see what other high end Ibanez models were out there. Now, I'm not much (make that, at all) a fan of FR/Tremolos. However, I do really like the S series; not just the S but the S and SV Prestiges as well. But so far I've noticed something: They all have the ZR system but some have locking tuners and other don't. For instance :

S470DXQM : http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S470DXQM

That's one of the ones that has the ZR with the locking tuners but say the high end SV5470F Prestige (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=SV5470F) doesn't. What gives?

Also, the same thing applies for the pickups. Why is it that the standard series S Prestige (again lets use S5470F, http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S5470F) have newly designed pickups, the SV have the TunePros and others have Dimarzio's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Question about the S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
So, I thought I was sold on the JS2000 but I decided to expand my horizons and see what other high end Ibanez models were out there. Now, I'm not much (make that, at all) a fan of FR/Tremolos. However, I do really like the S series; not just the S but the S and SV Prestiges as well. But so far I've noticed something: They all have the ZR system but some have locking tuners and other don't. For instance :

S470DXQM : http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S470DXQM

That's one of the ones that has the ZR with the locking tuners but say the high end SV5470F Prestige (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=SV5470F) doesn't. What gives?

Also, the same thing applies for the pickups. Why is it that the standard series S Prestige (again lets use S5470F, http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S5470F) have newly designed pickups, the SV have the TunePros and others have Dimarzio's?
FYI, the SV5470F has locking tuners, click on the link you provided and then look at the photo of the headstock.

Jimmy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
MFB

I'm looking at it right now (the blue one) and theres no locking tuners at the end of the neck
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Do you mean the locking nut, not the tuners? Because the SV's aesthetic is vintage looks and style...a locking nut wouldn't fit, visually or tonally.

the TUNERs however are locking on the SV, but not the other two, because locking tuners with a locking nut is pretty much redundant.

As for the pickups, the same applies. They're different guitars aimed at different players. The S5470F you linked is aimed at a heavy metal crowd, hence the hot pickups and blade magnet bridge coil.
Whereas the SV you linked is aimed at the vintage crowd, so it uses pickups that are capable of vintage tones.
The S470 is aimed at 'versatile workhorse' so it has pickups that are balanced towards the middle of those two spectra, in order to make it work for pretty much everything.

Its that and nothing more. Its important to note that while some things may be 'better' for you, other people might not want them. Thats why people still make guitars with block heels, why strats still have non locking bridges, and why those three guitars have different features for different people.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
MFB

Ah crap yeah, locking NUT my bad

Thanks for the clearup on all of that Bizarre, I have a feeling I'll be leaning towards the S5470F in Viking Red
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM

At the risk of sounding like the forum echo, I would caution to make sure you're buying a Made In Japan model. The S series has been entirely made in Korea for a long time, and its only recently they've moved the highest end models back to Japan.

And while the Korean models are great (I own an '06 S2170), the japanese models have truly fantastic fit and finish in comparison.

Try and play the guitars before you buy them. Its a great idea if you're buying an expensive instrument.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
MFB

I've been thinking that, and I have a feeling I'm gonna have a hell of a time tryign to even find a Prestige to test around here. My nearest GC may have one but it's doubtful.

I'm also tempted to get the S470DXQM and put new pickups in it and save some cash. I mean the differences are really miniscule (actually more like mm) in that the neck is slightly different, it won't say Prestige on the headstock, and 22 frets vs 24
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:07 PM

Wrong, the 470 is korean made. And take it from someone who, like many here, has compared the two - the wizard necks are VASTLY more comfortable than the Wizard II. I know thats mostly a preference thing, but its also popular opinion for a reason...the shoulders on the Wizard II are bigger than you would expect and the profile just isn't as ergonomic.

Fit and finish will almost certainly not be anywhere near as good on the 470...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
MFB

Well, I just called my nearest GC and they didnt find any in the search of their inventory, and the guy was like "I'm sure we have some around here" so it's doubtful I'll get to play one

For a second I almost was gonna type a bunch of **** about Prestige neck versus Wizard versus Wizard II, and how why wouldnt a Prestige have a Prestige neck then I realized :

"Prestige Wizard"

And saved myself a lot of backlash
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 05:17 PM

You may well be surprised to know that I have absolutely no idea exactly what 'Prestige' refers to on necks. I know its to do with the finishing, but I wouldn't know what was different at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode