Question about the S520EX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Question about the S520EX

Hi...I'm new to the site and have been playing for about 3 months. I just got a 520 and was wanting to know how to change the strings out. I started with the jampack strat and it was easy to change the strings out on it but the 520 looks a bit intimidating. It has the ZR bridge on it.

Also, any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 AM

Re: Question about the S520EX

well, I don't know where the problem is, but that's maybe because I'm used to my S520. First unlock the strings at the nut, loosen them up, use the allen wrench to loosen up the horizontal screws on the trem. Then remove the string out of the sadle. take your new string, cut of the colored ball. (make sure to cut it on that double winded part thing close to the ball for your low E, A and D strings. for the higher strings, cut them clean.)
insert the string, tighten the screws, tune.

wash, rince and repeat for all the strings.

you might have to adjust the spring tension of your trem too depending on the string gauge.

at least that's how I always do it, if I'm telling bull****, someone pelase correct me
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply...I was getting used to it this weekend. I lowered the action and re-tuned it. The strings are still in good shape but I wanted to know how to swap them out. I read about changing one string at a time.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM

If you want to change all the strings at the same time, you can place a 9 volt battery under the zr trem to keep it in place. This prevents the bridge from sinking into the body when all the strings are loosened.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM

i didnt think you needed to do that with the zr trem? - i thought it stayed in position without strings?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3csl2004 View Post
i didnt think you needed to do that with the zr trem? - i thought it stayed in position without strings?
neh, it just stays in balance when one of the higher strings break.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsower View Post
neh, it just stays in balance when one of the higher strings break.
Really? No way...

Tags
allen wrench , higher strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode