Question about springs on RG3120 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Question about springs on RG3120

I know there's a tech section on this forum, but I posted it here because it's an issue with my RG3120, which is a Prestige.

Anyway, I use D'Addario 10 gauge strings on all my solid body guitars, including my Ibanez models (RG3120 and RG550LTD). On my Strat and the RG550LTD, the 10's work perfeclty fine. I only need three springs and the trem is able to be perfectly balanced.

On the RG3120, however, with only three springs, the trem keeps pulling forward, even with the screws tightened in all the way, which means I have to add a fourth spring (hence the issue I'm having). I even tried buying all brand new springs because I thought maybe they were worn out. Same issue. I DID use .009's previously on this guitar and even bought it from the previous owner like that and the year of production was 1999, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Any suggestions? Either way, I'm keeping the 10's on because they sound way better to my ears and I like the feel of them more. But, I'd really like to remove a spring because the extra spring is causing a little bit more tension than I'd like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:10 PM

Re: Question about springs on RG3120

I had an RG3120 strung with D'Addario 10's and I used four springs on the trem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I had another 3120 a while back (different than the one I'm asking about in this thread) and I was able to use three springs just fine with 10's. That one had an Edge Pro and the one that's giving me a problem is a Lo Pro.

But, still, my RG550LTD has a Lo Pro and I'm able to use 10's with three springs without any problems, so I don't understand why I can't do it with my 3120.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

No one else has any suggestions at all? Weird, I thought this would be the place to ask.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Mine also had a LoPro. There are shorter and longer springs, BTW. You could probably get away with three springs if you used the shorter ones.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Reviews: 7

Have you tried putting the 3 springs in a "V" pattern? Put the hooks on the block all the way to the edge and the rings on the claw in the center. This will lengthen the springs and add more tension. The only other thing I can think of is to block the back of the trem so it is level. Tune it without moving the trem (tune from the ends e to e, b to a, etc. because if you tune low to high, it will pull the trem forward more). Once in tune, then adjust the tremclaw screws so that they just start to pull on the trem. Remove your block and it should be very close to in tune. You will need to adjust a little, but it should get you close.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Have you tried tightening the screws on the spring claw? I've had to do that on an old strat I had when I changed string gauges.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, of course I tried tightening the screws.... you would pretty much have to do that. But, here's an update: I got it to work!

In fact, one of the things I did was tighten the two screws ALL THE WAY in. I mean, ALL THE WAY. I've never had a guitar that had to have the screws completely, 100% in, but hey, it worked. I also had to put the springs in arrow formation.

So, all is well now. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Glad you got it to work. I've been working on rehabbing an old '91 RBM1 the last few days. I got the guitar a few weeks ago and it was sorely in need of some cleanup. I set it up with Ernie Ball #9 strings and standard tuning and I had to tighten the screws almost all the way in (springs in standard straight formation) to get the Edge to sit flat. I ended up with only about a 6mm gap between the trem cavity wall and the front edge of the spring claw. I have the screws pretty much all the way in to where the non-threaded part is going into the wood. I was pretty surprised myself, as I've never had another guitar behave that way with a similar setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode