Question about two 540P models - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Question about two 540P models

Hello,
I have 2 different 540Pīs. I have had them for a while now and I just realized that they are different.
One of them, with serial number 701390 has bigger dot fret markers and it does not have that little thin metal retention piece in the headstock.
My other 540P, with serial number 721154, has smaller dot fret markers and it has that black metal piece. See pics below.

Please, I would like to know how many different 540P versions are there and which one is earlier?? What neck is better? Why where these changes made? What neck is more similar to the original JS?

Thanks!

This is the White 540P:

This is the red 540P

Last edited by ebguitars; 04-30-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Re: Question about two 540P models

I am not an Ibanez expert but I can at least answer one of your question.

Q:What neck is better ?
A:The one YOU think is better.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 AM

Why one would have a string tree and the other doesn't might have just been an oversight, hard to say. Are you sure both necks are original to the guitars? As far as neck profile, the p's should have a wizard 1 profile no matter which dot set it has, so neither are going to be like the JS neck. If one of the necks was swapped with a radius neck then you would have a thicker profile more like a JS.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fastmerc. I believe the necks are original to the guitar, not 100% sure but I believe so. But it is weird that one does not have the string tree...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM

I think the one with the big dots is a replacement neck. The serial number sticker looks like it was taken off another neck and placed on that neck. Also, replacement necks come with no holes drilled in them, which is probably why it's missing the string retainer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 PM

FWIW -- i have an '88 540P in carotene orange; it also has the larger dots. I too questioned whether or not it was the original neck. The person i bought it from told me it was, but in the catalogs they show small dots for both '87 and '88. Although I heard back then it wasn't uncommon for them to come from the factory not exactly as pictured in the catalog. On mine there is some orange paint on the neck that looks like it rubbed off when they painted the body...so i'm inclined to think it is the original neck. mine does have a string tree though
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes it interesting...

Tags
540 , ibanez , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode