Question about Vinnie Moorre VM1-sh desirability - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Question about Vinnie Moorre VM1-sh desirability

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the interest level and fair market value for a 1987 Vinnie Moore signature model with the splash finish (vm1-sh). I have a client who wants to trade me this guitar as partial payment for services, but I need to know what I can expect to get for it before I okay the deal. He says that there were only 25 guitars made with this finish, but I'm skeptical.

It appears to be all original with one major exception. At some point, someone has replaced the floyd rose bridge with a standard hardtail. The work looks like it was professionally done, but it is definitely not original. Otherwise, very good condition for it's age. Minimal fret wear, no major dings anywhere on the body. The finish has faded to a cream but is very pleasing. All the components are original and it plays very well. Fast neck, no noise from the pots.

So, are these guitars collectible, and if so, what is a reasonable value? I've seen some from before 2008 that went for $2500 or more, but that was before the financial crisis. I'd like to see it go to a good home and give my client a fair value for his guitar at the same time. Any help is welcome.

Thanks,

Bo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Re: Question about Vinnie Moorre VM1-sh desirability

I'd say $1,500 - $2500 depending on condition and who's buying, but that doesn't count a hardtail conversion. If it's reversible/restorable, then maybe it's not such a bad hit, but if the body is significantly altered or the block is glued in or something, then it kills it. Then I think you'd be more in the $1000-$1500 range. That splash finish is hard as heck to find, so maybe that does bump it up a bit. Again, I guess it depends on who's buying.

I've seen the 1 of 25 figure before, but I have no way of verifying that. It was in the 1989 catalog as a production model, so that seems awfully low...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM

I've been searching for 20+ years for one of them, Only ever saw one white one.
There really was only about 50 made, whether it was 25 of each..... I don't know.
IIRC it may have been the first AANJ Ibanez.
Without seeing pics,..... $2k if it's in perfect, unmolested shape, but like TAO said that HT mod blows any value and collectibility it had. If you get $1k you should probably grab it.
I collect signature models and honestly I would pass because of the HT mod, and I still want one of those just as much as ever.

D
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful responses. I took it in to my luthier today to explore the possibility of reversing the mod. He's an old 80s rocker and knew what it was immediately. He says he's never seen one in real life and couldn't believe that it ended up in North Dakota. He says the bridge modification is fully reversible, but I need to find a trem to put back in. I believe it came with an edge II tremolo originally, but that means little to me. Can anyone provide advice on what would fit in there? Since it appears to be so rare, I'd like to get it back as close to original as possible, but the end goal is to sell it so ultimately I would be looking to maximize added value.

Any suggestions? If people are interested, I'll post pictures as soon as I get it back from the luthier along with his estimate for the restoration. For what it's worth, he says it plays like a dream and looks like it has hardly been played at all.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Reviews: 120

It would have been an original Edge tremolo.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
It would have been an original Edge tremolo.
It's not an original edge, a original edge has fine tuners the Edge II doesn't have them(looks like the only difference)
I'm not sure,but I think that's the only guitar ibanez put that edge II on...Regardless, that will be the hardest part to find....I don't even think I have ever saw one for sale...

**some nice history on this site**
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/VM1
**better pics here**
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1989/vm.jpg
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
I don't even think I have ever saw one for sale...
I have only seen one for sale in the last so many years. He can just put a Edge or Lo-Pro on it. It won't be like it was but will be closer than any other option. Many Carvins come with Floyds with no locking nut but come with locking tuners.

For the right price I might be interested in it as is.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM

Reviews: 120

That is bizarre! Why would you bother? Definitely just slap an Edge in there. You'll never find that Edge II.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
You'll never find that Edge II.
Never is a strong term but would probably have better chance of winning lotto.

I would love to see some pics.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Reviews: 4

For what it's worth, I wonder if you could get a nasty, beat up original edge, have someone fill/weld the fine tuner holes with small metal dowels/rods, level everything then take and have everything chromed? I know it would be a lot of work and would be a little expensive but if as close to original is what your after that might be an option. I work in a shop so I'm looking at it for a mechanic standpoint, plus, my cousin works at at metal fabrication shop and I have seen them guys do some pretty amazing things with metal....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Here are a few photos of the guitar. I've examined it carefully now and it is really in excellent condition, particularly for its age. I hope that is able to come across in the photos. You would never believe this is a 25 year old instrument if you just picked it up.

There is also a short video of the luthier playing it here:

http://youtu.be/d99Z1lnQPoA

It does seem unlikely that I will be able to find an Edge II tremolo to put in there, though he says any number of floating trems would fit and the HT conversion didn't harm the body so restoration would not be visible.

At this point, I am leaning toward selling it as-is with the knowledge that the buyer could restore it whenever they chose. But I am biased in this because I have never liked floating trems and I tend to see the hardtail conversion as a bonus.

Opinions now that you've seen pictures? I can email more photos, but they'll only let me attach 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0259.jpg (71.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0235.jpg (77.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0234.jpg (52.8 KB, 3 views)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Is it me or is the bridge sitting crooked? Alphabo, shoot me a pm with what you think you want for it etc and we can talk.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 PM

i dont think that much people want that guitar that bad, maybe im wrong. i like the idea of finisch, but not for that guitar.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 PM

I have an original VM1 SH here sitting next to me. I just posted a pic of it in the gallery under "6-string & Misc"

It has the Edge II bridge(rare)

I am interested in selling mine, it is in great shape except for being 27 years old and needs a cleanup. 1 ding in the body hardly noticeable. email me at the email in my profile. -Brian

Tags
vinnie moore signature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode