Question before I buy... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Question before I buy...

I was looking at a S470DXQM, beautiful guitar, but i did one dive bomb and where the trem arm goes in, well that broke off...are all of the ZR like this? Are they cheap? I am going to try another one today, but im a little scared...also the guy at the store was useless but if there are no threds on the arm how does the arm lock in? it was just a metal bar, id never seen one without threds or something to lock it in. Thanks for the help! O and should it come with the intonation tool, or is that somethin you buy extra? Thank you for your help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Vendor

They gave you the wrong bar to use, the ZR bridge has a threaded bar, obviously the one you used wasn't, was not fully inserted, and put stress on a part that wasn't designed for it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

so what should the bar look like? like i say the one i used was silver and had a bend where it inserts (sorta like an L ) but no threds or locking things that screw down on it. THanks!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Vendor

Looks like that, but with the L end thraded
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 06:15 PM

... and the intonation tool is the knurled knob that's screwed into the base plate of the ZR opposite the bar - it's included.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

lol, wow i feel so dumb now , well i went and tried another, the trem seemed verry sunk in and it didnt dive bomb verry low at all and when i just moved it a little the trem had a cracking noise almost, like it was breaking, i never really heard this before so i just left it there. Was that noise normal? Thanks for the help, sry for bein dumb lol!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 12:36 AM

Steve the intonation tool you mention is not THE INTONATION TOOL as it is known. That comes separate, is extremely hard to find nowadays and only works for Edge and Lo-Pro's (as far as I'm aware).

aresx87 was there anyone in the shop with you when you tried this guitar out? If not then next time make sure there's someone along from the shop who you can ask questions to. Seems like the guitar you tried the second time was completely screwed if it was making these sounds. Next time ask the "shop drone". If you don't get a good answer leave and shop somewhere else.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Vendor

The intonation tool for the ZR is exactly as Steve described.

Creaking? Could have been the springs, or the way it was setup [or not setup], or neck creak, or...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 07:38 AM

Rich, thanks for the correction.

Steve I apologize for the mistake.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you, the store I went in had no one there except a verry pushy salesman who told me that it was how the trem was supposed to be. He also grabbed the guitar and showed me what "it could do" and said "would you hear the creaking through the amp??? NO!!!" so I will try a few more of those out and some RG's. O and the creaking definitly came from the bridge, it almost sounded like something was snapping, so hopefully the next one I play is better. Thanks again for all the respnses!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 06:07 PM

Never feel pushed into buying a guitar from a pushy sales man, I've had that experience before, i just walked out the shop. In my opinion though the RG's are better guitars. What RG's would you be looking at?

Tags
base plate , beautiful guitar , intonation tool , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode