Question on finish on new AR250 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Question on finish on new AR250

I just took delivery of a new Artist AR250, and I am struck by how gorgeous the finish is. The flame maple top just seems too good to be true. I realize this is not one of the most popular models, and maybe no-one here is familiar with it. But can anyone tell me if this is just a veneer or photofilm, or if it is a actual carved maple top? Does Ibanez use the photofil finishes on any of it's guitars?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i was under the impression it's a thin(ish) flame maple cap over mahogany body. no photoflame... glen
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Vendor

The savings come from the fact it's made in Korea, it is flamed maple, thickness unknown but it's thicker than veneer.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
you can probably estimate the thickness, if you have one in hand... if you cannot see the wood-line on the body edge(hidden by the burst edge) the maple is about 1-2mm thicker than would be needed to have the curved/carved top sitting on an absolutely flat piece of mahogany. i don't have an ar250 or my ar2000 handy to guestimate

either way, great axes ...glen
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I feel better about it now. I don't mind a thin cap, or even veneer for that matter. But I don't know what to expect from a photoflame finish. Since I keep these things for the long haul, I worry what it will look like in a decade or two. But if it is a carved cap on a flat mahogany body I feel good about that.

I just came in from spending about an hour playing this thing and I am really impressed with how good it plays and sounds, besides the gorgeous flamed top. What a cool guitar! I have been wanting a Les Paul style guitar w/ dual cutaways for some time now, and have been watching the old Artists on eBay, but haven't found one I wanted to bid on. Then I found Musicians Friend is selling these for $349.00 (I hope that isn't against the rules, I don't have any interest in Musicians Friend) and I decided to give one a try.

I know it is Korean, but I am really impressed with the fit and finish on this thing. And also with the sound of the pickups, a lot of good harmonic content. It did need a good setup though when I got it. But once done it feels and plays great. And I am not a newbee, I've been playing since '72, and I have a pretty good collection that includes an original '59 Tele, a '62 Strat RI and an ES135 w/ P90's. I think this ones a keeper!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Not to beat a dead horse, but just so you don't think I was exagerating the beauty of this thing:

You can see more pics here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...250.html<br /> most pics will blow up to full screen if you click on them.

Take care guys. Thanks for the info on the maple top.

hasse

Tags
flame maple , flamed maple , les paul , les paul style guitar , mahogany body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode