Question regarding PRS guitars... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Question regarding PRS guitars...

Hello!

I'm a big fan of PRS guitars and if you can find a picture on the web of a PRS guitar I've not seen, then I'd be suprised!

Anyway, I've been thinking about this for a while now and I can't seem to find any answer. On pretty much every PRS guitar I've seen, the heel looks kind of... big. Very big.

Just an example of what I'm talking about (the thick "bottom" of the neck):

To me it looks pretty strange and I'm quite sure that it would be a way more comfortable guitar to play if the heel was smaller. I can't figure out any reason to why this should be a good thing either. If you ask me I'd say that the thickness of the heel is because you'll need something to attach the body to, but then why is the thick part hanging out so far from the body? Not sure if that was correct English but nevermind, you get my point!

So well, why is this? Anyone got any ideas? I'm really curious to see if there is a logical answer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM

Re: Question regarding PRS guitars...

wasn't always like that . that was changed around 92 i believe. Paul decided it would sound better and make the joint more stable. And even though its fairly large i never had any issues with the upper registers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Yes, most probably they had tone in mind
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 12

^^ like Drag and Mertray have already stated, it was probably for more sustain and stability.

Never really noticed the heel on mine honestly... but then again, I have huge, spidery fingers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

So it's like more wood equals better tone then? Well, that seems kind of logical (I guess... ).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonatanOTG View Post
So it's like more wood equals better tone then? Well, that seems kind of logical (I guess... ).
More like lessening the vibration on the neck since they can't use much material there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM

The bigger heel lends strength and stability to the neck. If you've ever played a set neck mahogany guitar with a small heel try this -- with the guitar laying down, strum the strings. Now lift the guitar up by the neck near the headstock while the strings are still ringing (you just have to lift slightly, the body end can remain on the floor/in the case/wherever the guitar is laying). You should hear the pitch drop slightly because there is flexion at the neck joint. I had a Dean flying v and a Hamer that did this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 AM

It was used to remove deadspots on the neck. I had a PRS SE with a massive heel. It didn't affect playability whatsoever. Infact, it was quite comfortable.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The example with a small heeled-guitar makes sense to me, although I can't try it at the moment.

I'll keep those words in mind next time I get to try a PRS out (unfortunately they are not the most ordinary guitars around in my part of the world... )!

Tags
heel , heel neck , neck , prs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode