question on standard strat - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

question on standard strat

I'm working on a deal with someone around for a mexican standard strat with a maple neck, made in 2001. Right now he's willing to sell it to me for $250. Listing price at around $350. The price is alright, but I'm wondering if an American strat or a Japanese strat would be better playing/sounding. I'd like to add a strat to my small collection, but I would pass on a mexican strat if it's significantly worse than the MIA and MIJ models. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 04:21 AM

Re: question on standard strat

The Mex series aren't bad. The Standards aren't really anything to write home about, but the reissues are brilliant (I should know ). If you're willing to spend a little more, get an MIJ, or get a MIA. To me, the MIM and MIJ Strats are nearly the same, but the MIA just raises the bar a wee bit higher.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
The Mex series aren't bad. The Standards aren't really anything to write home about, but the reissues are brilliant (I should know ). If you're willing to spend a little more, get an MIJ, or get a MIA. To me, the MIM and MIJ Strats are nearly the same, but the MIA just raises the bar a wee bit higher.
I keep hearing rumors that some say that MIM or MIJ are better than the MIA strats? Any truth to that?

Regards

André

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
I keep hearing rumors that some say that MIM or MIJ are better than the MIA strats? Any truth to that?

Regards

André
In a way, yes. I'm not too sure about the MIMs, but MIJs are very good.

I've played a Paisley Strat that frankly played better than the MIA Standard Strat I tried. But an MIA Std Ash Tele played better than the Paisley. It all depends on the models sometimes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:45 AM

i've had a couple of MIM's. in fact, i kept my MIM strat. it's a hoot.

[rant]

all this MIM vs MIJ vs MIA debate is getting old, though: gibson have proven that MIA doesn't necessarily mean what it used to. fender, too, with rumours that the reason they don't import MIJ is because it might show up their MIA product (at least in terms of value). there's good and bad out of any factory. the challenge for the buyer lies in trying enough of each variant and finding something that works for you in terms of price/quality.

[/rant]

with that said, MIM fenders use MIA bodies and necks anyway. their weakness is pickups. but for the pittance you pay for them, a pickup swap is a no-brainer.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:55 AM

Well, you're bound to expect lemons once in a while from every factory. Luckily,the best Strat I've ever played still lies in my hands.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btangel
I'm working on a deal with someone around for a mexican standard strat with a maple neck, made in 2001. Right now he's willing to sell it to me for $250. Listing price at around $350. The price is alright, but I'm wondering if an American strat or a Japanese strat would be better playing/sounding. I'd like to add a strat to my small collection, but I would pass on a mexican strat if it's significantly worse than the MIA and MIJ models. Thanks!
don't waste your money on a fender in that price range. get a g&l tribute series. USA Fullerton pickups, beautiful finishes, and you can get those with maple/rosewood fretboard. nice trem too. you could find a used one in the $300 range probably and you won't need to spend money replacing pickups. i've been playing on one at work every once in a while and finally decided to buy one. much better quality IMO
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

hmm I plan to play on it for a while first before I think about buying it. After reading your thoughts though, I think I may just put it off and wait for the right strat with the right price to come along. I don't want to buy something knowing I'll sell it in the future.

I've tried a few strats over the last few months and the 57 reissue MIM, 50th anniv. MIA, and a customshop player's strat were the best playing ones for me. I was shooting for the reissue, or the 50th anniversary models since they were a bit more in my price range (that customshop with birdseye maple neck will have to wait :P).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 12:28 PM

The 2001 mexican strats are ok I have owned two of them in my life and hot rodded the hell out of them, in fact met a guy here a few years ago and sold one of them. I will tell you one thing if you save a few more bucks purchase one of the newer mexican strats they are all alder bodies now which the 00,01s did not have it was a poplar body which really sucked. These new fenders are excellent and built tough! At this moment I own two guitars that are made in Mexico..1 Jimmie Vaughn Signature Strat with Bartolini strat pickups, candy apple red, maple fretboard, a little fatter neck that most strats but I love it. I Nashville Telecaster with Jerry Donahue seymours in it which has a slimmer neck and sounds awesome! It is an alder body too this one though has rosewood fingerboard. There is a slight difference between the American strats and the Japanese strats, and in my opinion the Japanese are a great investment if you can find one that isn't going to break your pocket book. Of course I feel the same way about Ibanez I love the Japanese models and I can't find myself buying a guitar for $500 or more that is made in Korea, I am not convinced of the quality. Anyway sorry to get off topic, If you want the strat buy it and just soop it up you will not like the stock pickups at all they are terrible and are junk. With a nice setup which I would advise, do this get the frets dressed, intonation, and change out the stock pickups with duncans, rio grandes and you will be ready to roll. And remember a strat will sound different than having a double humbucker guitar and the amp that you play through will make a difference too.

Armando

Tags
alder bodies , alder body , birdseye maple neck , candy apple red , humbucker guitar , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mexican strat , mij strat , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , signature strat , strat pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode