Questions on EDR470EX and Edge Pro II - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Ion

Questions on EDR470EX and Edge Pro II

I've just bought an EDR470EX and this is my first Ibanez guitar with a floating bridge (Edge Pro II).

When I first played the new guitar, I found the action a little too high so I have been constantly adjusting the bridge via the tremolo studs. I kept lowering bridge to a point where the studs became tight. I stopped turning the allen key and loosen it a little by half a turn. I checked the string height at the 22nd fret. Both bass and treble strings are around 2.5mm.

Does this mean the bridge is at its lowest height? I still feel it's a little high and I don't want to mess with the truss rod. Can owners of EDR470EX tell me your string height please?

I also need to change the old strings soon. I did a search regarding string changing and the results overwhelmed me. Sorry for being a noob but can someone direct me to a place with step by step instructions on how to change strings on an Edge Pro II bridge?

What is the purpose of the fine tuning screws on the Edge Pro II bridge? How do you exactly use them? Is it the same if I just use the tuning pegs at the headstock (after I've loosen the locking nuts)?

Last question. Will an EDR470EX fit nicely in an Ibanez M100C hard case? If not, which hard case is recommended?

Sorry again for asking all the newbie questions. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 08:00 AM

Re: Questions on EDR470EX and Edge Pro II

Check out Ibanezrules.com

The tech section is excellent and certainly helped me when I first encountered a floating trem
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 AM

You can also search here: http://jemsite.com/tech/index.htm
You should read all the links that have a title that deal with your questions. String change is easy, just change strings one at a time and tune to pitch. Stretch them, re-tune, lock the nut, work out the whammy, unlock, re tune, lock, tune with fine tuners.
The fine tuners are a necessity as you'll notice that your guitar will be slightly out of tune after locking the nut. The same lefty loosy right tighty pertains here, to tune up - turn clockwise and vice versa. 2.5 mm is fairly low action, I would recommend you spend a lot of time in the tech section if you want it lower. Good luck man!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Ion

Thanks for all the replies.

Another dumb question... do I have to open the back of the guitar and remove the tremolo bridge just to change the strings as shown in Ibanezrules.com? Or I could just release the existing string by loosening an allen screw at the side of the saddle?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Vendor

No where on ibanezrules.com does it show removing the bridge to change strings.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Talking Re: Questions on EDR470EX and Edge Pro II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion
Thanks for all the replies.

Another dumb question... do I have to open the back of the guitar and remove the tremolo bridge just to change the strings as shown in Ibanezrules.com? Or I could just release the existing string by loosening an allen screw at the side of the saddle?
Just remove by loosening the allen screw at the rear of the saddle and push the string out the back of the guitar, or just remove from the saddle (depending on whether or not the ball ends have or have not been cut off)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
No where on ibanezrules.com does it show removing the bridge to change strings.
Hey instead of pointing out the obvious perhaps one could just lend a friendly hand to a newb.

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 04-18-2005 at 06:57 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Ion

Sorry Rich. I must have looked under the wrong section (Used Guitar Primer - Cleanup To Setup) in ibanezrules.com where the strings are installed together with the setting up of the bridge.

Thanks Mr. Clean for the detailed info. I've got it now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion
Sorry Rich. I must have looked under the wrong section (Used Guitar Primer - Cleanup To Setup) in ibanezrules.com where the strings are installed together with the setting up of the bridge.

Thanks Mr. Clean for the detailed info. I've got it now.
No problem bro, always happy to help someone new to the craft. If you need anything PM me or whatever
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:42 AM

hi,i have ibanez edr470ex,can i install DIMARZIO PICKUP...FOR EXAMPLE
Bridgeimarzio X2n
Neckimarzio Evolution
can i?
please help me...
tanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahman1234 View Post
hi,i have ibanez edr470ex,can i install DIMARZIO PICKUP...FOR EXAMPLE
Bridgeimarzio X2n
Neckimarzio Evolution
can i?
please help me...
tanks
As I mentioned in your duplicate query in the other thread, You can put any pickups you want in there...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 AM

If I pick up these guitar (ibanez EDR470 EX) I replace, according to the body of this guitar is luthite selection of what some companies Dimarzio pickup for the guitar is appropriate.
i Want A solo Pickup For Neck That Be Warm And More Poweful Treble AND aggressive Sound...
and
a heavy Pickup sound for Bridge That Be Very PowerFUL aND Dark Sound...

I Think For
Neck Pickup Dimarzio Evolution

And For
Bridge Pickup Dimarzio X2n

What's your Offer?!!
Please Help Me...
Help...

Help Me

Last edited by bahman1234; 12-18-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Tags
locking nut , locking nuts , tremolo bridge , truss rod , tuning pegs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode