A Rare Find: Ibanez SCR220BP - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Question A Rare Find: Ibanez SCR220BP

I found a rare Ibanez, a a SCR220BP, at my local Guitar Center. It looks like this:

The only real information I can find is from Rich's library of Ibanez catalogs. Specs include:
25.1" scale length
Mahogany Body
1 Piece Maple Neck w/Rosewood fretboard
TZ30 bridge
V1 and V2 humbuckers
10 degree increase in tilt of headstock which creates higher string tension
Built in the Fujigen factory in 1999, the only year is was produced.

I know that just because its rare doesn't mean its valuable but I was wondering if any of you know what this guitar might be worth? They are asking $199. As an instrument its worth much more than that, but I have a feeling its so rare that nobody really cares.

Any info on the guitar and advice on whether it would be worth buying would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: A Rare Find: Ibanez SCR220BP

That is a very cool guitar. The price seems good, I say go for it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM

I love my S-classics, and consider myself fairly knowledgable about Ibanez in general, but I honestly had no idea they ever made one with a tremolo. Cool and interesting. As for the value, the 220's typically list for $199 to $250 or so, so you're right in the ballpark. Quality guitars for the money too, so if you're intrigued and it's in good shape, I'd say jump.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

When I played the guitar I did notice the extra tension the 10 degree tilt puts on the strings. I didn't get to try the bridge out because the whammy bar wasn't in the guitar but it can probably be pulled up a half step and under light use wouldn't throw the guitar out of tune. Truthfully, if Ibanez manufactured this model for 5 years I wouldn't be interested in buying it. It's a cool guitar but there are a lot of cool guitars out there. My main interest is in the guitar's rarity and place of production (Japan).

So a larger question would be, does the simple fact an Ibanez guitar was built in Japan automatically increase its value? Is it wrong to assume all Japanese made Ibanez guitars were high quality?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
So a larger question would be, does the simple fact an Ibanez guitar was built in Japan automatically increase its value? Is it wrong to assume all Japanese made Ibanez guitars were high quality?
I am inclined to think that it is fairly safe to assume that all MIJ Ibanez guitars from that era are quality instruments. Are those the original pickups? If it plays well and sounds nice then I think I would grab it for $199. The rarity only adds to the fun of the purchase...do it man =)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I am inclined to think that it is fairly safe to assume that all MIJ Ibanez guitars from that era are quality instruments. Are those the original pickups? If it plays well and sounds nice then I think I would grab it for $199. The rarity only adds to the fun of the purchase...do it man =)
I obviously didn't think this through: I came to the Jemsiters for knowledge about a rare guitar, not peer pressure. But I should have realized nobody is going to say "No, you shouldn't buy the Mint condition, rare Japanese made Ibanez."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Ibanez needs to make a thinner version of that headstock for a lot of their guitars. They'd be less LONG and more balanced IMHO.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM

That's a good looking guitar.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 AM

Reviews: 4

That's pretty interesting, actually. I'd like to try out the PRS-ish scale length.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 PM

I remember those, they're were an attempt to mix Radius and Saber forms. Reckon they could've gone somewhere with the concept - HH, non-locking whammy, shorter scale.

For $200 it's a no brainer, especially given that it's MIJ. There's plenty of MIJ axes out there that fly under the radar and end up going for peanuts, so it doesn't increase the value per se but the guitar is going to be very well built.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
I remember those, they're were an attempt to mix Radius and Saber forms. Reckon they could've gone somewhere with the concept - HH, non-locking whammy, shorter scale.

For $200 it's a no brainer, especially given that it's MIJ. There's plenty of MIJ axes out there that fly under the radar and end up going for peanuts, so it doesn't increase the value per se but the guitar is going to be very well built.
I'm probably going to check it out again today. For me, its not a no brainer. The only 6 string guitar I own is my teaching guitar (so I don't confuse the students). Otherwise I only play 7 string guitar, both electric and classical, plus one 8 string. However, I love Ibanez history and finding a rare Ibanez is always exciting. If I bought it, I would probably sell it and I don't want to buy $200 guitar so that I can sell a $200 guitar. The quality is definitely there. I was demoing an RGD2127x at the same time and while they are totally different instruments, the build quality may have been in the SCR's favor partly because it felt less played (cleaner) and its simpler design. We will see....
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 AM

^^ I see what you mean. Though the SCR is uncommon, it's not sought after, as far as I know; I can't remember what they were new, but more than $200 I imagine . Maybe if it's very clean, you could get in the $300 range for it, or a bit more.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

That is one of the other pros: its Dead Mint. I have to check it over again but as far as I could tell it was pretty flawless.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 AM

Reviews: 2

The SCR220 listed for $650 and probably sold in the $400-450 range (comparable to the RG350). The thing is, it's much more guitar than the price suggests. You already know the stats..........

For $200 (I'd offer $150 and see what happens) I would buy it, drop in a Wilkinson VG300 bridge (the 220's ONLY downfall) and keep it as an incredible daily driver that cost very little for the quality guitar that it is.......

just my 2 cents............
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

I caved and bought! Sorry for the bad pic, nighttime and poor lighting don't lend themselves to accurate pictures:

Its the most "non-Ibanez" Ibanez I've ever played. Thanks to Rich Harris' catalog library I was able to find out at least a little bit of information:

The cool things about this guitar are the general "quirks" in its design such as a 25.1" scale length, unique body shape, only SCR model ever produced. But the REALLY cool things are the tonal clarity, freakishly incredible sustain, and comfortable neck.

Now, do you guys have any idea what case would be appropriate for this guitar? I'm assuming a standard S Series case but I don't really know. Any suggestion would be invaluable! Also, this might be impossible, but I would love to find out how many SCR's were actually built. Is it as simple sending Ibanez an email?

Thank you for your help!

Tags
ibanez scr220

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode