Rare Rg 5 ?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:18 AM
meowmixxer

Rare Rg 5 ??

allright so this guy i know has a brand new 06 iabnez guitar he says is a promotional guitar that they didnt make many of and he wants to sell it to me. and its like a grey, with all grey stuff and reverse headstock. i found the exact guitar on the evil-bay 7418835969, if you wanna see pictures. but whats the deal on this guitar? is it rare or what, have any of you seen this? any input will be greatly appreciated. id psot the pictures but i dont know how and im not sure the guy would be happy if i took them from him. but thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 03:20 AM
Gex

Re: Rare Rg 5 ??

Sounds like BS to me, I saw 2 of those over at my local Guitar Center yesterday.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 06:48 AM

This belongs in auction talk.

1. features a neck with a white binding that spans the entire lenght of the neck and is found, to my knowledge, only in the Prestige or Jem series

2. best of my knowledge, the only reverse headstock ever produced by Ibanez was for a limited number of RG 570's from the 90's and was painted the generic black color of most Ibanez headstock.

3. The neck is also a 3 piece, not a cheap 5 piece; that is, the neck is made of only a single piece of wood with a rod cover and a finger board (notice the "extra" piece that is used for the headstock on virtually every other RG).

4. I finally have the only two guitars I've ever really cared about (the only two floral pattern Ibanez Jem's ever produced)

In the world market of 2006, rare is a word that is rarely used correctly. Maybe I misunderstood #4, but the others reveal some opportunities for education in guitarlalaland. Kind of cool looking guitar though.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 AM

Guitar Center exclusive RG5EX, not rare, just not everywhere. This is part of a series available there(RG2EX/3EX/4EX).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:01 AM
dex

I took my time and toshiro beat me to the punch......

ilia
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 AM

guitar center always has make ups. In the shoe business(which im in) you can have any company make up anything you want if you order enough pairs.

Case in point with GC Ibanez's remember the Spawn model? etc etc..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:18 PM
meowmixxer

thanks alot all for your replys. i think im going to go back and check it out again, it was a nice guitar, but im not sure if its worth the 400 dollars to me, i might just get another 7. or go look for an older rg to customize myself. thanks again !
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:20 PM

Follow up after a recent trip to a local GC - $399 @ GC, if someone is trying to sell you one for more, they're ripping you off.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 11:57 PM

HA! Some dimwit bought it for $699.

1) The seller is clearly intentionally misleading (ok, lying). One need only look at the Ibanez web site and one can see a bound neck that are not Prestiges or Jems. (RGT42, RG370, RG350, etc.) In fact more of the lower end guitars now have the binding than the high end ones do.

2) "Mother of pearl inlays"? I doubt it is real mother of pearl. It looks more like fake abalone.

3) Hahahahahahahaha. "The neck is also a 3 piece, not a cheap 5 piece". Huh?? One minute this moron is saying that the binding is typical of Prestige/Jem only and the next he says 5 piece necks are cheap, when all Prestige/Jem/J.Custom necks are 5 piece. Duhhh. And he says a 3 piece neck is one piece the neck, one piece the rod cover and one piece the fingerboard. Yet his own picture even shows the back of the neck is clearly multiple pieces.

4) He also implies that the Edge III is a better tremolo than the Prestige Edge.

5) Then again, it worked, he got someone to pay way more for this that it was worth. Caveat emptor.

I was in GC last night and their catalog had some new RG4EX models with flame tops that looked kind of cool but they didn't have any in the store.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 02:51 AM
meowmixxer

nah , it was for the 399. but i think i am going to try and find another destroyer II or maybe an s 7 string. allthough it was a pretty sweet guitar, but im lookin for somethign i cant paint, id feel bad painting such a nice guitar lol.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Dee

Whatever, that guitar was sweet looking. I'd buy one.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 06:57 PM

Looks like there is a handbook for idiots. 7422112540
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
Looks like there is a handbook for idiots. 7422112540
some funny bullshit in there

Tags
custom necks , finger board , ibanez jem , local guitar center , reverse headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode