Rare USRG-30? - Flame maple only? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Rare USRG-30? - Flame maple only?

I'm paying for a USRG-30 right now. It's in excellent condition (one small scratch), and the deal's gone down for $750. I talked him down from $850, so I guess that's a little better... Hey, does anybody know if the usrg's came in anything other than flame maple? Because I don't know what the top on mine is, but it's not flame or quilted maple. Before I knew about the "tension free neck," I thought it was an exotic woods series. The grain is real loose, and the color tone is very uneven (not ugly, just not flame maple). I've heard that the usrg's weren't available through custom order, but this kind of makes me wonder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:56 PM

Rare USRG-30?

USRG30's were all (theoretically) quilted maple. There were no options aside from color.

Do you have any pics?

--B
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Rare USRG-30?

No pics so far. I don't even have it home yet. I could be wrong about the quilted thing, but the grain on it doesn't look like any kind of quilted maple I've ever seen. I'll see if I can get the dealer to let me take some pics of it. If he doesn't think I'm too nuts, then I could have some pics within the next few weeks.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:43 AM

Rare USRG-30?

$750 is a bit on the high side, but within acceptable perameters. They retailed for $1700 in 94-96.
As Brent said, all the tops are suposedly quilted. You've heard of "figured" maple? Maybe this is a "disfigured" maple top! But if you like the top, and you can afford it, go for it!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:16 AM

Rare USRG-30?

I don't think that $750 is too high though. *It seems that most are selling for $650-725 these days.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Rare USRG-30?

I saw one on e-bay about a month ago that went for around $450. But I guess it's better to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't... Have any of you guys gottne ripped off buying used online?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Rare USRG-30?

remember that Maple top was at one point simply a tree somewhere in an unoccupied forest. That tree wasn't genetically engineered and was subject to mother nature's intervention. It probably wasn't supposed to be a 'guitar'. Along those lines i find it humerous that such random patterns labeled "flame", "quilt", "AAA figured", etc. and spoken for so definitively.

I think that price is fair and certainly $50-100 is well worth the sanity and peace of mind afforded buying from someone reputible. Enjoy.... glen
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 07:46 PM

Reviews: 5
Rare USRG-30?

Maybe they should grade maple tops like women's dress sizes. *You know, you can go from a petite (little) figure, to AAAA, or full figured *Everyone will want a pleasantly plump top.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 05:31 PM

Rare USRG-30?

Seems like somebody posted some catalog pics of exotic wood RGs with birdseye (and other) maple tops? I saw one of these on ebay a while back...really nice clear finish & very thick top.
Greg
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 10:50 PM

Rare USRG-30?

The top is definately Quilted Maple and yes, the USRG 30 only came in Quilted Maple. *Several different color stains though. *The neck feels really wierd at first if you are used to a Wizard neck, but after you are used to it, it's like an old friend. *$750 is an average price, that's what I paid for mine(sorry tomizm and no I won't sell it back *To put it this way. *I would pay $750 for another one just like it if I was so inclined and call it a good deal.
KO
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Rare USRG-30?

One of the things I'm worried about is the way that the headstock is attached to the neck. It looks like it's a separate piece of wood, and that makes me wonder that if I banged into something, would the headstock snap off? I've heard that Gibson sg's sometimes do that. Of course, I don't beat on my guitars or try to thrash them, but accidents can happen... That, and I'm incerdibly clumsy, and well known to trip over cables on a crowded stage.
Maybe I'm just stupid, but the whole sytem doesn't look entirely sturdy to me. *Oh, by the way, I had a second look at the wood grain, and I guess it is "quilted" maple. The grain is just very irregular. Not like those RG520QS (quilted sapele). Those have a very patchwork kind of look to them, but this is different. It almost looks like the top was cut differently.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 11:29 PM

Rare USRG-30?

You're right Eddie, the headstock is a seperate piece of wood. The steel bar running the length of the neck is attached to the brass collar plate that runs under the nut, and that assembly supports all the string tension. It may not look solid, but I'd wager it's pretty tough - tougher than the average Gibo, pro'ly. And if the headstock breaks, just have someone cut another for you and stick it on - the rest of the neck should be fine...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 10:58 AM

Rare USRG-30?

Quote:
Quote: from Kyle Odom on 10:50 pm on Feb. 16, 2001
sorry tomizm and no I won't sell it back
KO
You just wait man! *Im gonna get you, and your little dog too!!!! *Hahahahahahahahahahahaha *:angry:

Tags
flame maple , quilted maple , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode