RE: Overseas Guitar Factories - What am I buying? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

RE: Overseas Guitar Factories - What am I buying?

I know the country of origin will usually indicate "Quality"; but I know some folks (Me being one) like one brand made in China or Indonesia over another brand made in the same country.

Funny thing is, I've read that guitars branded from different companies are made in the very same factory.

Point in case being the Ibanez JS100; based on the serial number, it could be made in the Cort factory; but It would be very unlikely for me to buy a Cort guitar.

Indonesian Epiphone Les Paul Guitars I've heard are made in a Samick factory; and again, it would be very unlikely for me to buy a Samick guitar.

So I guess my question is how much quality is lost and how much marketing and customer perception comes into play?

I mean, I've worked in manufacturing before, and made similiar parts, but based on customer specs and tolerances, we put out different quality products. Again, same person making two different quality parts; so my feeling is the factory is just putting out what the customer is asking for; not that the factory inherently puts out sub-standard product.

Does anyone have any feedback in general and maybe what factories brand what guitar?

Steve C - RI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 AM

Re: Overseas Guitar Factories - What am I buying?

I don't have any further information, but I agree with your premise. I doubt the person making the neck says, "This is a Samick, so I don't have to do a good job. Oh, this one is an Ibanez, I have to work a little harder".
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 AM

I gotta go with taracatac. I don't for once second believe any Korean, Indonesian, Chinese, etc guitar at a certain price point is better than the next just because of who the same company makes it for. Even when I taught and sold guitars I would tell parents looking for a starter guitar all the time that at the beginners price level they really wont see any difference in quality from one company to the next.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Overseas Guitar Factories - What am I buying?

Well the thing for me is that for the most part guitars in the $100.00-$250.00 range are beginner instrument, $250.00-$500 are novice, $500.00-$900.00 are intermediate, $900.00-$1200.00 are advanced, and $1200.00 and up are pro line quality...The varying determination would be the specs that the company has as guidelines for their models. The profile for a beginner Ibanez neck is vastly different than a comparably priced Fender...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Neck profile different, yes quality doubtful.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 AM

I dont know, maybe they make a definite number of say "necks" per day, then that bunch goes through some sort of quality control where according to what each brand pays the factory they are separated in good ones for "brand X prestige" or "brand Y elite" lines, regular ones for regular guitars and the really crappy but still somewhat usable ones go the cheaper ones...

Or something!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode