Reb Beach, Ibanez and The Real Story - Reb me the right way - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Reb Beach, Ibanez and The Real Story - Reb me the right way

Hello Kiddies,

Anyone got the straight scoop on the specs, years, current used princing and general opinions on the Reb Beach Model ?

I considered swapping my UVGR for one if decide I REAAALLLY liked the RBM . . so please be honest with me in terms of relative value to a UV or JEM.

Thanks All,

KenKenobi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 05:29 PM

Reb Beach, Ibanez and The Real Story

The only RBM that I'd even really consider owning is the RMB2NT-the mahogany body w/ Koa top and EMG's, solid rosewood neck, etc. *I've got #90, and love it! *They're deffinitely very different from any JEM/UV/USRG though. *The neck is very Strat-like, and is only 22 frets. *Feels great though! *In great shape, the signed/numbered ones can bring up to $1200 on the high end. *There's been one of Harmony Central that's just about mint that the guy had down to $1000 and couldn't give it away. *They're great guitars, and are fairly rare, but just don't seem to be worth a fortune. *I'd probably trade my JEM7VWH for one (if I didn't already have an RBM2) based on the simple fact that the 7VWH is very common and easily replacable guitar, whereas the RBM is less common and somewhat hard to find. *As long as you've got under $1200 in the guitar your thinking of trading, and the RBM is the upper-end exotic wood model, you'd probably be doing ok.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:55 AM

Well, I admit, I never played a RBM. The top model is beautiful, with the Koa top, Rosewood neck, Pau Ferro board.

But I am very sceptical about the wood cutout at the bridge. It's quite a chunk of body that is missing; doesn't that kill the tone?

The thing is, Eddie Van Halen used to have or still has an Explorer-shaped guitar. He once took a saw and cut out a triangle at the bottom side (See the cover of "Women and children first"). After that, he said the guitar's sound was completely gone. Its tone was dead.

Another aspect would be neck-heaviness. What are your experiences? Is the RBM completely balanced?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
I considered swapping my UVGR for one
hehe... that would be like violating the cardinal sin of Ibanez guitar ownership :biggrin: *You can see some RBM catalog scans in the Jemsite|Guitars area. One major problems (aside from the Winger connection) is the body cutout and overload of lesser models that you can barely giveaway. Why not look for a USRG or something more conventional with maple/mahogany instead? Just a thought.

That said if you *really* want a RBM/Voyager then go for it. You're the one who has to be happy with it... glen
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, I'd thought about getting an RBM2 inthe past (or the RBM 400 which, I think, had the rosewood neck too) and getting something like a warmoth strat body in equally tasty woods and seeing if that would be a nice guitar when it's done. But the 1K+ price tag on that kinda makes it pricey for a "unique fixer upper opportunity"

Still I've got room in my guitar collection for a RBM2-NT if anyone's giving one away
jono is online  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:23 PM

IF it's an RBM2 (KOA, made in Japan circa 1991-92, Lo Pro Edge, Gold Hardware, EMGs), then it would be a fair trade, IF you like the RBM2 (imho)

Something to look out for with the RBMs (in my experience), is that they basically sound pretty crap with any pickups other than EMGs - possibly because they're missing so much body wood, possibly because of the sB1/HB2 pup combo). They're not particularly neck heavy, but don't balance quite as well as a Jem. The thing about them is the necks and frets; the necks feel quite different, and the frets are very low and wide - very different than a UV or Jem - some people like them, others can't stand them. They aren't ideal frets for bending or vibrato, but Reb liked 'em that way so they can't be all bad - though I hear his Suhr has more conventional medium-jumbos. *Hard call unless you play it... good luck
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 02:27 PM

I've had great luck with my RMB2-NT. *Mine's got a particularly nice flamed Koa top, which helps with the looks. *The RBM400 did have the rosewood neck as well, but was just a plain mahogany body. *I find the RBM2 to be a very playable guitar, but the tone is certainly an issue. *I did try an Evolution in the bridge position with some luck, but found that EMG to be about the only pickup that really sounds good in that guitar. *
The neck is unlike any other Ibanez-definitely more Strat-like. *Overall, I like it just for it's uniqueness. *The cutout at the end is a big chunk out...but it's different!

Oh...and I believe that the guitar the Eddie had mutilated was actually and Ibanez Destroyer *
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 12:23 AM

Here once again with all your evh lore, jack buttler!. *Yes it was an Ibanez Destroyer. *you can see the guitar in the video for you really got me. *Its a korina wood Ibanez destroyer, with dimarzios "nummy" *Vai also uses a korina wood explorer for rythm tracks. *SOund yummy to anyone else? *Im not big on the shape but I love the sound of korina wood. *I once saw evh playing witha *steinberger and emgs, no wood. *And it still sounded like eddie. *Very odd huh? *i actually couldnt tell the difference. *Steinbergers? *theres a thought *:> *NUmmy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 12:43 AM
site founder 0% owner

#Moderation Mode

moved to other 6-string area as the RBMs are not J or USA Customs

<a href="http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic.cgi?forum=3&topic=625" target="_self">Moved here</a>
Closed Thread

Tags
bridge position , eddie van halen , guitar collection , mahogany body , pro edge , rosewood neck , strat body , van halen , warmoth strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode