Reb Beach Model - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
Reb Beach Model

The Ibanez RMB2 (usa spec) has been an interest in me for a while now, not because I'm a huge Reb Beach fan or the rarity, but because of the full Pau Ferro neck and koa top. I'm not hugely familiar with the Ibanez world in regards to these gutiars. Should I just order a a similar spec guitar from a small luthier or are the RBM2s reasonably priced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Re: Reb Beach Model

RBM2's are outrageously overpriced these days. what amazing guitars these are, though. i have never seen one in person, but did own a 93 rbm1 in blue. an incredible instrument which i still have regrets selling(albeit, i sold it and a pgm500 to get my rgt3120). the prices of the rbm2 have increase exponentially it seems in the past 5 years. i remember when i was first looking for one back in the early 2000's, $1500 was the going rate for a preowned model, but now it is not unusual to see people asking $3-4000 for one.

rich
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 AM

THIS is the Reb Beach model I'd love to see available again.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 AM

I own 3 RBM1 and I cannot let people say that the RBM2 is overpriced

if, effectively, the RBM1 is a great guitar, the RBM2 is a piece of art !
and art costs..... ??? what people want to pay for ??? more ???

in France I could have one for 2700 euros, no less !
I cannot pay for that now, but that's worth it ! IMHO
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Had the black w/gold ca. 10 years ago. Kind of cool looking but not a very good guitar.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Vendor

The near mint 2NT I have on consignment now I sold for $1650 in 03'. I've got to get $4500 for it this time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent540 View Post
if, effectively, the RBM1 is a great guitar, the RBM2 is a piece of art !
and art costs..... ??? what people want to pay for ??? more ???
well, art is in the eye of the beholder. i also feel that the rbm2 is a work of art, but i still look at it as a guitar. just an awesome guitar. i feel the same about some andersons, suhrs, warriors, melancons, tylers, DTM, PRS, etc.

rich
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
well, art is in the eye of the beholder. i also feel that the rbm2 is a work of art, but i still look at it as a guitar. just an awesome guitar. i feel the same about some andersons, suhrs, warriors, melancons, tylers, DTM, PRS, etc.

rich
yes, in term of quality

I admit I love it and so, I'm not totally impartial !
but it's kinda unique, so special ....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:59 PM

In the near future I am going to take on building one

Over on Reb's message board I had inquired about the one in his "Cutting Loose" video - it had a high gloss to it. These were built for him by Mace Bailey and said to be far superior to the production RBMNT2's...I don't think I have EVER seen one of these for sale. Don't know if Reb still owns them all, or where they went. I know live I have never seen him with a glossy one...just in videos. I'm going for the gloss!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 03:18 PM

i have to insist on the specific neck shape ! as everybody here only consider the body shape
it's very special, between C and D shape, and its own thickness

it's a real unique instrument, as the JEM or the Universe are !
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9

I was thinking about just picking up the Suhr Reb Beach model when the time comes-- it costs sub $3000. Does this Mace guy still make guitars?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:38 AM

Deals occasionally come up on these. One went for $2200 on the Bay not too long ago. It was listed for something like $2300 or best offer. I put out an offer of $1800 on it and am kind of kicking myself for not just going for the full amount.

What held me back was that the top was really nothing special on it. I'm with Rodzo that the Mace Bailey customs are much cooler looking. Ones that nice seem really rare amongst the production guitars. I also like that the horns are much pointier on the customs. I'm crossing my fingers that Ibanez does this as a 20th year reissue in 2011.

Tags
reb beach model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode