Received my first 7 string - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Received my first 7 string

Item # 190219666817

Finally sold my JS1200CA, and in turn replaced it with a RG7620.
I've been jamming on Steve Vai's "Oooo" most of the morning, and loving it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM

Re: Received my first 7 string

Nice! And it already had a great pickup mod to it as well... very nice!
I've got a 7620 from the same year as yours in Vampire Kiss. I kept the original New 7 neck pup but swapped-out the bridge pup for a D-Activator. However, I also recently got a 7420 that I put a D-Sonic,(same model bridge pup as is in yours) into. Cool thing about that pickup, if you didn't know, is that if you flip it around so that the rail coil is on top, you can get a much bassier sound. Not that I'd really suggest it on a 7, as the tight attack of the pup in its' current state really compliments riffing, but having the extra tonal option is always a plus.

Last edited by Analog_Kid; 05-15-2008 at 11:47 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog_Kid View Post
I've got a 7620 from the same year as yours in Vampire Kiss. I kept the original New 7 neck pup...
Fixed that for you
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 AM

this post deleted... new info gained

Last edited by Analog_Kid; 05-15-2008 at 11:45 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Jim777: Ignore last post.

How, and why, did Ibanez manage to mis-print the pickup models, not once but two or three times, in their catalogs in the 7620 listings? One would think that having actual custom Dimarzio's made for that model would have been a nice selling point,(allthough the bridge New7 pup does sound like sludge, honestly).

I'm now obcessed with this error!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 PM

You son of a b........... You got a 7 string with the exact same pickups I've always wanted. How do you like the D Sonic? I have a PAF 7 in the bridge of my 7321 and love it but have never heard it in a neck (unless extremely mastered cleans from KoRn's Falling Away From Me count). Any opinions on that?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Since I first upgraded the pickups in my RG570, about 10 years ago, to a PAF pro and a Fred, I've favored a PAF Pro in the neck position. When the guitar first arrived, the neck had too much relief, although visually it didn't appear as such, and sounded like it had EB strings on it. Changed the strings and still the low B and E were buzzing like crap from having very little tension on them. Adjusted the neck almost perfectly straight, set the string height accordingly and walla! It's now a dream to play, and I couldn't ask for any better sounding pickups.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Actually...I'm thinking about replacing the D sonic 7 with a PAF 7 in the bridge. Before I purchase a new PAF 7 new, and then post the D Sonic on the bay, is anyone up for a trade/even exchange?

Last edited by DarthLamer; 05-18-2008 at 04:56 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:15 AM

I just put a D-Sonic in my 7620. All I can say is WOW! I have heard that a PAF in the bridge isn't the best.....Just what I've heard
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLamer View Post
Actually...I'm thinking about replacing the D sonic 7 with a PAF 7 in the bridge. Before I purchase a new PAF 7 new, and then post the D Sonic on the bay, is anyone up for a trade/even exchange?
Going for the KoRn setup AND a Star Wars guy. Keep the D Sonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
I just put a D-Sonic in my 7620. All I can say is WOW! I have heard that a PAF in the bridge isn't the best.....Just what I've heard
I have a PAF 7 in the bridge and it sounds so much better than anything I've ever used. Then again, I went from a cheapish Yamaha 6 string with stock pickups to my first aftermarket one :P. I still want to move it to the neck and get that D Sonic though.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
I think Dave Weiner would disagree. From the samples I have heard of his album, he does obtain a decent clean, yet overdriven tone.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Man thats a clean 7620. I had the exact same guitar bought new in 99'. I sold it about 2 years ago and miss it now. I would leave the D-Sonic in it and add an Air Norton in the neck personally. I don't know if your aware but the listing says it has an Edge Pro trem which is incorrect. That is the Lo Pro Edge. IMO a better trem than the edge pro 7.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdragon View Post
Man thats a clean 7620. I had the exact same guitar bought new in 99'. I sold it about 2 years ago and miss it now. I would leave the D-Sonic in it and add an Air Norton in the neck personally. I don't know if your aware but the listing says it has an Edge Pro trem which is incorrect. That is the Lo Pro Edge. IMO a better trem than the edge pro 7.
Yes, prior to purchase, I was aware that it is a Lo Pro Edge. In addition to having a preference for the PAF Pro/Fred pickups for six stringed guitars, I really feel that I will prefer the PAF 7 due to this pickup up not *coloring* the tone and being considered a more versatile choice for a bridge pickup vs the D Sonic.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 AM

Nice score!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.WizardNeck View Post
I still want to move it to the neck and get that D Sonic though.
As soon as my PAF 7s arrive, which is hopefully today, I will be posting the D-sonic 7 and the neck pickup (which was advertised as being a PAF 7, but is actually a Dimarzio New 7) on **** for around $50.00 USD for both combined. Thankfully, the seller reimbursed me $89.95 due to the pickup misrepresentation.

Last edited by DarthLamer; 05-22-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Tags
air norton , amp head , bridge pickup , bridge pup , dave weiner , edge pro trem , local music store , music store , neck pickup , neck position , neck pup , paf pro , pro edge , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode