recessed edge pro bridge.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

recessed edge pro bridge..

Hi,

I know all you guys will think like "what the ****? recessed??".. I love making those steve vai stuff with my whammy bar, but fact is that altough Ive had my RG570 with a Edge bridge at a proffessional tech two times (yes two times, yes hes proffessional) it wont get or keep the tune..when I blocked that thing, it did... So on my next guitar I thought a recessed floyd would fit me better..

Ive seen recessed edge bridges on old artist guitars.. they seem pretty sweet.. but question is: are there any recessed edge pro bridges?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:58 PM

i always thought they were recessed. as apposed to the floyd on EVH's guitars being non-recessed ?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

whoops.. what a mistake.. I (of course) mean non-recessed..
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:20 PM

I think what you really mean is "non-floating".

The recess isn't necessary to have full-floating trem operation... you can set up any trem guitar to float by shimming the neck up at the heel or by angling the neck cavity to get the strings up above the body.

However, some players like having their strings really close to the face of the guitar, so recessing the trem just allows the bridge to be sunken into the body of the guitar and allowing for zero neck angle relative to the body. If you like your strings that low, you pretty much have no choice but to recess the bridge.

So if you like the low string-to-body distance and having a trem, you'll either need a very shallow recess or just block the trem so it goes down only.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:50 AM

gn86,
you better get a fixed-bridge guitar.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

hey.. Ive thought about it.. but.. I cant get used of not using the whammy bar since I use it alot..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:39 PM

Click the pink and green banner at the top of this page and check out the "Tech" section, mainly look at #13 on the list of pages there . . .

Your problem isn't that it's floating, or recessed, it's going to be something totally unrelated.

Bad studs perhaps, dull knives, posts not locked maybe?

Loose nut? Strings not stretched properly?

The Edge, even with bad studs AND flat knives WILL hold tune when everything else is properly set up. The only problem in that case is when you pull up and release the bar it may come back a bit (or a lot) sharp, but a quick tap down and it will go back to "perfect" tune.

Check out Rich's site before you assume it's JUST because it's floating/recessed as that really isn't a cause of tuning problems.

Mic
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:11 AM

tighten the studs

I would double check that the studs are tightened. Those tiny little hex screws inside the studs caused me headaches... until I knew they existed! Rich's tech setup led me to the light.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:26 AM

I've recently been experimenting with a fun little technique: if I bend a string while sustaining another, I just push lightly on the bridge (or point the bar towards the rear strap button and push it) at the same rate as the bend. I probably wouldn't attempt it on stage until I'm fully confident with it, but you would be amazed at how well it works, and if you use the bar to do it it looks REALLY cool.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 10:33 PM

Even Steve Vai uses a tremsetter (the Ibanez type). I put them in for a lot of customers & they say the guitar returns to pitch without fail. I prefer the full floating trem, but I think you should look into a new S model with the Zero Resistance Trem. It has a built in trem setter that really works well. The ball bearing pivots make for really smooth operation.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Guitar
Even Steve Vai uses a tremsetter (the Ibanez type). I put them in for a lot of customers & they say the guitar returns to pitch without fail. I prefer the full floating trem, but I think you should look into a new S model with the Zero Resistance Trem. It has a built in trem setter that really works well. The ball bearing pivots make for really smooth operation.
sounds nice.. is it easy to tune? I mean.. do I have to go through all that ****ing bull**** just to change the tuning as I would on the usual thing?

Tags
edge bridge , edge pro bridge , edge pro bridges , neck angle , steve vai , strap button , trem guitar , trem setter , zero resistance trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode