Recommend me a guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Recommend me a guitar

I would like some advice on what to get
I couldn't see any topic about this (which is probably me just not being able to properly search for it) but what could I get for about 500 euros?
I don't really know what to look for in a new guitar myself yet.

So far I found the Ibanez RG350DX WH, which looks nice, but how does it play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 AM

Re: Recommend me a guitar

Get a used RG550 (can't go wrong with that one ), or add a little money and take something like RG1570. Don't go for a RG350...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 AM

The first thing is to try before you buy if you're not sure what to get. Head for a store and try everything in your price range, whether you like the looks or not, this should give you a better idea of what you're looking for. While you're at it, try a few things out of your price range to see if you might want to save some more money.

An important question to ask yourself is what kind of features you want on a guitar. This probably should start with the bridge. Fixed or trem, and if trem, full-floating? If full-floating, do you intend to use the whammy bar a lot? I assume since you mentioned the RG350 that you're looking for a Floyd-type bridge, or at least have no problem with one.

The biggest reason people don't recommend this guitar is that it's made in Korean or Indonesia and isn't always completely up to the same quality standards as the higher end Ibanez models which are made in Japan. In particular, it does use some cheaper parts, such as the bridge, which many people have a hard time keeping in tune under heavy abuse. If you're not a big trem-abuser, you might have no problem at all with this guitar.

Beyond that, it's hard to make a suggestion since we know virtually nothing about what you're looking for. In any given price range, there are a TON of available guitars, and even then, what's good and bad will depend almost entirely on your tastes and needs.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 AM

I've seen some posts where people who have a 350DX love them. And looks are important. Maybe not to all, but to most. I read something somewhere that made a lot of sense, "even though playability is most important, having a guitar that looks good to you is almost as important. If you don't like the way it looks, you may not be as inspired to pick it up an play." Whomever wrote that was right, I notice I do play my better looking guitars & the ugly ones...well I never played them & sold them off. I wasn't inspired to play them. So don't get an ugly guitar just because someone says looks aren't that important, because they are...but at the same time don't get an guitar that looks good that plays like crap. Because if it don't play well or stay in tune you wont be inspired to play it either. It is always good to try before you play, but to tell you the truth I haven't done that in years. I buy over the internet most of the time without trying 1st and have almost always been happy. Is this your 1st guitar ? Or have you been playing awhile? You mentioned you haven't bought a new guitar, but have you bought old/used? The 350DX has a trem that isn't up to the quality of better axes, but if you don't **** on it all the time it may not matter. I almost bought one myself, but held out for an axe with a better quality trem. because I do **** a lot. Stay away from Edge III trems is my advice, I've seen pics of them broken...cheap metal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rax13 View Post
Get a used RG550 (can't go wrong with that one ), or add a little money and take something like RG1570. Don't go for a RG350...
Oh yeah nothing lower than a 550....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drokun View Post
I would like some advice on what to get
I couldn't see any topic about this (which is probably me just not being able to properly search for it) but what could I get for about 500 euros?
I don't really know what to look for in a new guitar myself yet.

So far I found the Ibanez RG350DX WH, which looks nice, but how does it play?
I personally would never get a RG350DX, but that's because I've been playing guitar for 17 years and am an Ibanez snob. However, if this is your first Ibanez, you probably won't even realize the difference between a Wizard II or a Wizard I or how much better the original Edge is vs. the Edge Pro 3 or Lo TRS II. If you like it, then go for it! Even if you hate it, it will help you appreciate what you get down the road. My first couple of Ibanez' were RG560 and 570s.

If you were my son, I would get you a used RG570 or so. ...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM

Get a fixed bridge guitar if this is your first. Like an SZ or something.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 AM

rg550
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Well this is what I would recommend if your first guitar, a used fender MIM strat. Cheap and you can resale it after you know how to play and know what type of neck and sound your looking for, and not lose that much money.

Tags
advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode