Recommend me an Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Recommend me an Ibanez

Hi!

Today I have RG550 -98 (i think) which sounds and plays pretty well but it has some annoyances.

First of all, I do not like the Edge tremolo. Sure, the guitar stays in tune well. But It's a bitch to set up correctly. And honestly, I almost never use the tremolo function. I would prefer a guitar without tremolo I think, but I can live with it or lock it in some way.
I always preferred maple board over rosewood, I think it looks much better, but also plays better for some reason. Maybe because maple boards are much smoother. I have been choosing rosewood boards just because there are so few maple alternatives, but this time I will try to get one with maple.
The third thing that I don't like about my RG550 is the pick-ups. There is nothing wrong with the quality and sound in them. But I never use the middle pick-up in any combination. It's either neck or bridge pick-up all the time. Therefore I would like to find a guitar with 2 pick-ups only to get some useful middle modes, and if possible, a single coil in neck position.

In short I want a Super-strat Ibanez with 2 pick-ups (single coil neck, humbucker bridge), non-tremolo bridge and a maple board. But I'm on a budget and want to keep the price below $600

So I wonder, is there any Ibanez with all the things I want?
I did see the RGR465M which is quite close to what I want. But I really don't like the reverse headstock, and it still has got an Edge III.
The RG350M-YE Looks great aswell but that would be a downgrade from a RG550 or?
I have also been looking at RGA32 and RG321 but I don't know if they are worth trying.

I am also aware that the Korean/Indonesian made Ibanez is like a mine field, some are good, some are bad. I have played on a RG420EG with so-called V7 & V8 pick-ups but that guitar was crap. And those pick-ups didn't sound anything like the ones on my RG550.
I have also owned a S470 (korean) and that was great apart from the crappy INF pick-ups.

Last edited by veckans; 10-19-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Re: Recommend me an Ibanez

just get a floyd trem stop to block the trem. Remove the 5 way switch and add a 3 way switch. Put a dummy in the middle position. You just saved yourself a load of cash.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Reviews: 2

Go to your shop and try and Ibanez ART400, ART600 or similar.
If the shape of the body is acceptable to you these guitars are great.
It wont have the maple fret board though. It would have 2 pups (active on some models) and a fixed bridge. I just got one of these and the Gibralter III bridge is very cool. Rock solid and couldnt be simpler to adjust if you ever needed to. The neck-through construction and mahogany body are bonuses.
Mine is real comfortable to play. Could find one for about half of your budget too if your lucky. New would be around 5-600.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Reviews: 59

Tjena Sverige
The RGR465M is a really nice guitar and might be the closest you get within your price range. But if I read you correctly you're willing to compromise on the neck before the bridge and as there's none that meets all your criterias I would try out the ART and SA models.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshape View Post
just get a floyd trem stop to block the trem. Remove the 5 way switch and add a 3 way switch. Put a dummy in the middle position. You just saved yourself a load of cash.
Adjusting the intonation would still be just as hard, and that's the part I would like to get rid of the most. ZR tremolo is a lot better on this and stays in tune even if you lose a string, but then again I don't need the tremolo function so much.
And I would still be stuck with a rosewood board.

The ART and SA series have way too thick necks for my taste. I don't want anything thicker than a Wizard II neck.

Last edited by veckans; 10-04-2010 at 05:45 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM

I fully agree with all your preferences. If this guitar existed I would buy it too! :-)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veckans View Post
I have also been looking at RGA32 and RG321 but I don't know if they are worth trying.
I tried the RG321 and I thought it played really nice for a guitar in that price range...in fact I was quite surprised with how much I liked it given its price range.
With a budget of $600 you could buy the RG321 and still have enough money left over to put either some locking tuners and/or some high end pickups in it.

Here is a link to a thread with info on the rga32:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/an...2-a-94418.html
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM

I think you should block the trem on your current guitar and keep your eyes peeled for a used RG565. They come up from time to time. Block the trem on that guitar and then throw a LoPro trem in there. You can get an intonation adjustment tool for those that works really well.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I think you should block the trem on your current guitar and keep your eyes peeled for a used RG565. They come up from time to time. Block the trem on that guitar and then throw a LoPro trem in there. You can get an intonation adjustment tool for those that works really well.
Yes, this is one of the ideas I had too. I definitely prefer LoPro over Edge. Easier to change strings on if you don't block it either. The only downside to it is that I wont get the AANJ.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Ok, here is my guitar, now I just have to convince Ibanez to make one.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Can anyone help me about what's the best best
choice between an ibanez serie S, RG, or RGA
(made in japan with locking system and a floyd-rose ?
I don't care about the price and the pickups,
they'll be replace anyway.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

I finally decided to order an Ibanez RGR465M-SOB. I was a bit worried about the quality on these Indonesian made Ibanez. Especially since the RG420EG I had a while back was crap. But I had been hearing that the quality of Indonesian ones were way better now, and I found a store that sold it at 380 so I took a chance.

So, my brand new RGR465M arrived yesterday and I am really impressed! It plays just great and for some reason I can play faster on this than my RG550, a real shredder. The build quality is great and I have nothing to complain about at all so far. And it was pretty odd that it was perfectly set up right out from the box, only had to tune it a bit.
Right now, this guitar definitely feels like it has the same quality as my RG550, maybe even better. I'm not saying it's some JEM, but RG550 class yes.

Here's a few pics of it. Not great ones but you can see what it is

Last edited by veckans; 10-19-2010 at 02:37 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 AM
VCR

HEY

Where did you order that. I am looking and have not found it yet. Gotta have it

TELL ME
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Aren't they Europe only?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
VCR

Found it out of the UK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode