Recommend me an Ibanez 6 string - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
NJT

Recommend me an Ibanez 6 string

Hi.

Been into guitars for a good long time now but have only recently picked up my first Ibanez (UV). I come from a background of more ES style instruments and although I'm aware of big name players and their instruments I am, on the whole, not too familiar with Ibanez. I love my UV and am now getting back into some serious playing after a while away from guitars and music, feels like I'm starting over to a certain extent. I'm re-covering a lot of basics and would love to pick up a 6 string Ibanez to re-learn on. So here's what I know:
  • HH is fine, no need for a middle pickup.
  • Not a massive trem user but do like the way they feel under hand so quite happy to have one then block it if required. I've Lo-Pro on the UV and like it - I've been frustrated with the couple of Floyds I owned over the years, but get on much better with the Lo-Pro!
  • Inlay-wise I prefer dots/markers (offset even better) as opposed to the vine. Pyramids all good too.
  • 24 frets, jumbo.
  • Larger/flatter radius preferred.
  • Rosewood preferred over maple.
  • No real budget constraints but likewise no point spending big bucks for the sake of it. e.g. if some sort of RG was to be the same as a more expensive guitar for the sake of a limited finish or inlay work....

Although not massively into instrumental music I am a Vai fan, particularly P&W as it came out just as I was learning to play and I enjoy listening to it now just as much. I'd be more than happy with a '6 string version of my UV', so the Jem would seem a natural choice..... but then likely into a vine (not my preference but would be happy with it) and middle pickup (which I'm really keen to avoid), so it's not 100% right.

I've seen a Petrucci or two which look nice, same with the JS..... but, and this is where I need some help, I'm aware from looking at the likes of Rich's site that there's a wide range of RGs etc. which I should consider.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Recommend me an Ibanez 6 string

No budget constraints sounds like a nice situation

If I didn't have any budget constraints I would buy this (also meets all the criteria in your post):

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg652kkb.htm
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM

You could also have a look at the JBM series. The JBM20 is a much more affordable version of the JBM100 and feels quite wonderful to hold and play. The neck dimensions are the same as a JEM too. Rock solid tuning. The volume pot is further away from the neck pup. No tone control though.

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_...243&color=CL01
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 04:15 PM

No budget constraints? Non vine J Custom or JPM OR PGM Sig. I'd highly recommend the RGA121 as well though you might want to swap the stock pups out...that's prob my fave non JC/SIG Ibby in it's price range.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 AM

i have been eyeing a rga32 matte black with offset dots
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_...325&color=CL01
plain jane but cheep enough to afford to upgrade the pickups

i really like this one too i am torn
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_...327&color=CL01

what do you think?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post

If I didn't have any budget constraints I would buy this (also meets all the criteria in your post):

These are a good choice IMHO as well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:42 PM

@LACS-plus: #2!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:36 PM

I'm selling an RGT320Q RBB, which seems to fit your specs.. You're in the UK though :/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
NJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post

A very good shout, thanks. Been checking those out on Rich's site - the 'second' looks good, can't say that knock would bother me at all.

What do you more experienced folks think of this one? '97 J Custom RG1822. Ticks a lot of my boxes....all of them, possibly....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1122341972...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:16 AM

Looks pricey to me for the condition it is in...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
NJT

Indeed, and it's something potentially with some wiggle room so I'd see what I can do on that front.

As a general question though, how does a JC from that era stack up against today's Prestiges like the RG652K linked above? Obviously there'll be subjectivity/suitability differences for different folks, but any general guidelines as to the comparative quality of the two?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode