Recommend me a single coil for my HSH configuration! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Talking Recommend me a single coil for my HSH configuration!

I finally found love with my RG1570 after putting a Tone Zone in the bridge and a Breed in the neck. But After trying endless pickups in the middle position, (chopper, air norton s, blue velvet) I can't seem to find one I like.

So I've decided to put it back to 5 way switching and give it a Jem wiring setup.

But what single coil should I use with the tone zone and breed? The blue velvet was honestly too trebly. I want something warm and smooth that will sound great when combined with the splitted humbuckers.

Whada ya think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Re: Recommend me a single coil for my HSH configuration!

The HS-2 in split mode is great..kinda close to the Jem single coil..but I liked the Jem single the best. From my experiences..I found the HS-2 to be a bit noisy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 05:41 AM

VV heavy blues or pro track for reducing as much treble.

rich
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 AM

Reviews: 4

Try the HS-2, as stated above, but in full hum-cancelling mode. Split it only for positions 2 and 4.

Man, it is sweet!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 AM

I was asking myself the same question not long ago when I needed a middle pickup to complete a set of Steve's Special (bridge) and FRED (neck) pickups. I just went for a Chopper in the middle position and it works out simply great. You get chunky rhythm sounds, a strong clear tone and crispy in-between sounds in selector positions 2 and 4 when the humbuckers are in split-mode.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM

Just got an Area '58 for the mid position on my 1570. Pairing it with a PAFpro and Evo2, so not sure how it'll sound, but I LOVE the clarity/vintage sound of the Area '58! You could also try the Area '61... I think it's a bit fuller and a bit bassier, IMO.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcitR View Post
Just got an Area '58 for the mid position on my 1570. Pairing it with a PAFpro and Evo2, so not sure how it'll sound, but I LOVE the clarity/vintage sound of the Area '58! You could also try the Area '61... I think it's a bit fuller and a bit bassier, IMO.
I have that combination, only with the HS-2 in the middle.
Since in positions 2 and 4 the middle is used in single-coil mode, it makes use of the fantastic vintage sound (just as used by Eric Johnson).

Is the Area '58 a stack single coil?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Guitar View Post
Is the Area '58 a stack single coil?
Dimarzio lists it as a "humbucking single coil." It's a 4wire with single pole pieces (staggered heights), so I don't think it's a stacked coil. They also say that they've virtually eliminated the single coil hum.

I'll have to give a review when I get it installed, but it may be a week or so. The guitar it's going in is getting clear coated right now, and it's decided to present a few headaches in its final stages Ain't that the way it always goes???

How do you like the PAFpro and Evo2 combo?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 AM

I have an Area61 that I just bought for the middle pickup. I love the sound of the vintage Strat pickups, there's a mellow-smooth quality to them. I also considered the Area58, and in retrospect, maybe I should have bought that one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM

Dimarzio Cruiser is and will always be my favorite single coil pickup. I tried it on a whim because Andy Timmons used it, and if its good enough for him...

Turns out its absolutely fantastic. Give it a shot . I also have an Area 61 for the middle pickup of my SSH custom axe and I love it as well for that vintage-y sound.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 11:16 PM

I just bought a NOS VS-1 (DP-108 oldie but goodie) that I'm trowing in my 1570 when it arrives- I'll post how it works out. It iwll be paired with PAF Pros (ala USA Custom setup from early 90s).

Tags
air norton , andy timmons , clear coat , coil mode , coil pickup , eric johnson , paf pro , paf pros , strat pickups , tone zone , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode