Recommend a practice/workhorse superstrat please! What are good values and deals? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Recommend a practice/workhorse superstrat please! What are good values and deals?

I'm looking to buy a used non-mint super-strat type guitar with (preferably) 24 frets, H-S-H (or H-H/H-S-S), and a good trem. Everyone says you can't go wrong with an Ibanez RG 5< series, so I've been thinking along the lines of a 550, 560 or 570.

I wasn't alive for most of the '80s, so I was wondering if anyone remembered some cool guitars that are undervalued today. For example, the Peavey g90 (24.75, floyd, coil tapped hss)?

How are Charvels, Jacksons, or Kramers? Are there any steals left from those brands (and others) or is Ibanez the safest choice for someone that is new to trem-guitars? Is it possible to spend no more than $350?? Let me know what you would do in my shoes.

Anyway, thanks in advance. Love these forums; been a lurker for awhile. Keep up the good posts everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 AM

Re: Recommend a practice/workhorse superstrat please! What are good values and deals?

Fender Japan did some pretty good guitars, both under their own name, and, um Heartfield I think was the other name they used - lots of them came in hot metallic pink or ice blue/green. Kramer seemed to make zillions of guitars, in just about every country under the sun - stick to US or Made in Japan - Korean quality was very haphazard back then!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Dee

Re: Recommend a practice/workhorse superstrat please! What are good values and deals?

Yeah, Heartfield was Fender. People sometimes confuse this with Ibanez's Starfield guitars (which were awesome, might I add).

As for the original question, I would go with an RG550. Oh, I did! Seriously, I think it's the best guitar in it's class, whether it's the new RG 20th Anniversary or an older one.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:25 AM

As Dee says, you can't go wrong with a 550/560/570 by Ibanez. The Fender Japan/Mexico Floyd models are pretty good too and a good price. They would be my recommendation.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 AM

Some of the new washburns are pretty good value with some nice pickup selections.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:48 AM

Washburn are a pretty good place to start.
Build quality is great, good pickup options, range of colours and models. Jackson, Schecter, Dean, Kramer, Charvel.

But if your buying used, you should be able to pick up a bargain somewhere along the line. And with pretty good spec too, good hardware and pickups etc.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM

The Squier Stagemasters and Showmasters can be a pretty good deal, too. Can be had for around $150, some of the time.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:26 PM

Jackson Dinky....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:42 PM

Carvin DC127/135.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Peavey V-type!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 PM

A used RG5xx/7xx/15xx/25xx or how about an old ESP Mirage??
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
how about an old ESP Mirage??
Ah, I forgot about those.

Some of the older 80's ESP models can be had for very good prices, and are nothing but quality. So they may definitely be worth a look.

Tags
coil tap , jackson dinky , pickup selection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode