Recommendations - what's a good 7-string? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Recommendations - what's a good 7-string?

I've recently been looking at seven string guitars, particularly with a trem system. *I would prefer a standard, but the only one I've ever seen with that is the EB/MM Petrucci model, which is a bit out of the price range. *Right now I'm looking to spend between $200 and $350. *What's good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 12:00 PM

Recommendations

Your price range is a little restrictive, but with the market being depressed as it is right now, there are some good choices, but your preference for a non floating trem is going to be too restrictive, so I will ignore that in my recommendations.

Look to get a used Ibanez RG7620...this may take you slightly over your range, but it will be worth it.
After that I would check eBay for Carvin 7 strings, either the 747 or 727...great guitars.
Next I would consider an ESP LTD H-307, or 207....or a Schecter C7 or C7Plus....or a Ibanez RG7420.

The Ibanez 7620 has a much better trem and the neck profiles are more comfortable. *THe carvins are neck through designs with excellent playability. *The LTDs are beefier necks, the 307 is neck thru. *The Schecters have fat necks too. *THe 7420 is similar to the 7620, but it has a TRS trem instead of the Lo Pro Edge 7.

The Petrucci is going to run you upwards of $2000 depending on options. *You should have no trouble finding a 7620 for around $500 or less.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:49 PM

Recommendations

The latest blowout 7 string deal seems to fit your description also - a Jackson string-through DX7 from AMS for $189.

Randy
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 1
Recommendations

Here is an awesome deal too:
ESP LTD M307 for 329$us

BenoA
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 01:43 PM

Recommendations

I was about to say the RG1077XL is an amazing piece, then I saw your budget... heh... sorry...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 10:06 AM

Re: Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlintz
The latest blowout 7 string deal seems to fit your description also - a Jackson string-through DX7 from AMS for $189.

Randy
Those things are terrible. They're plagued by one of the worst design flaws I've ever seen; the way that the headstock is angled causes the low B to pop out VERY easily. If it had a locking nut they could probably get away with it. But the low B is just too big and moves too much tobe put at that sort of angle.

It'd make a hell of a doorstop though....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 10:08 PM

I've never played one of the Jacksons. Maybe Home Depot will buy out the remaining quantity - with that big pointy headstock, maybe they'd make a better garden tool. Just don't poke your eye out with that thing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 09:38 AM

I tried one of those Jacksons when I was first gonna get a 7 string.
It looked alright...cheap...then i tried it...sounded like ****...I wonder how they got the seymour duncan name on em...

Tags
locking nut , neck thru , petrucci model , pointy headstock , pro edge , seven string guitars , seymour duncan , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode